Alpine Type R's

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3480
I'm looking to purchase a pair of 15" R's in a month or two and was wondering what people thought about them.

I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews of them sounding fairly good or sounding horrible. I just want to know a little more about them.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13810
The last time I heard the alpine type r's they reminded me of the old audioque 2.5's which is a good thing

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7954
Type R's are some of the better mainstream subs out there for the $. You can do alot w/ them if you know your vehicle, and they can handle 1k pretty well daily. I like those subs at their price point (MSRP vs MSRP of other brands)

To tell the truth, I actually crack up when locals come in talking like memphis M3's, RF T1's, and kicker L5's are the chit. Especially when 3 local places carry Alpine and hardly ever push them...lol. I guess they just don't know they have a nice budge sub on their inventory, that or they just can't design a proper box for them.

We have actually been approached by Alpine Reps to pick them up. The only question I had for them was, "why would we carry Alpine when there are 3 shops within 5miles of here w/ them?" I would like them just for the HU's though. (seeing as Eclipse is out of the game now, guess Pioneer will have to do for now)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16153
havent heard the 15" as yet but with this price why dont u dont 4 12s instead

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/627450.html

...will cost u about the same but u get more cone area & will occupy about the same amt of cuft too ...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12798
Type Rs are terrific subs. affordable workhorses that can take some abuse, handle a good amount of power, but are still sensitive enough to pound pretty hard if you can't afford a huge amp and high output alternator etc.. a type R does great with 350-500 watts RMS.
They are also versatile, and work well in ported or sealed enclosures. Not all subs do.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2022
Great subs. take tons of power and get really loud and sound quite good too. they get lowww

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3481
Alright thanks a lot guys.

And Rovin, it would cost a little less for 4 12's.

I have about 7-8 Cu. Ft. to work with.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11858
Why are you changing? And why Type R's?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12806
well, a ported 12" will take 2-2.5 cu ft, so you're pushing it with 4 12" subs if that's your whole working space. You could also try a single 18" which would take about 5 cu ft of space, and still hit really hard.

just a thought

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16154
u might still be able to fit 4 12s if u use 1 4" aeroport per sub so that the port itself will take up less space

i like GW's suggestion of a single ported 18" which will also work well in that amt of cuft & will be a simpler to handle set too since its only 1 sub

but which ever route u decide to take : make sure there is sufficient cuft for the sub\s & keep in mind the sub\port displacement in mind too ...

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3482
"Why are you changing? And why Type R's?"

I just want to up cone area but stay in the same price range as my XXX.

I know everyone thinks it's a big downgrade, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us