Subwoofer Choice, Ohms Question

Bronze Member
Username: Whatmh5

Post Number: 35
Hey guys I posted a couple of questions a few months back and many of you helped me out, and I thank you.
I have decided to go with the DC level 4 15, and an AQ 1200d.
Now for the question: So I can wire this sub down to one ohm, I need to buy a 4 ohm sub correct?
I'm not sure if there are dual voice coils, which would affect the wiring right?
Also, how would I wire all this?

Ahh so confusing for a beginner..

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 457
If you have 1 dual voice coil speaker you would need a dual 2 ohm woofer to wire it to 1 ohm to the amp. A dual 2 ohm by itself can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohm.

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Alright, thanks shawn.
The level 4 is dual voice coil correct? i should know this..

So need to get the dual 2 ohm version...

What wiring do you guys recommend?
I was thinking KnuKoncepts flex 1/0 gauge, but do I have to run 1/0 gauge?
I need to do the big 3 correct? How much wire would i need for the big 3?

Also, should I upgrade my alt?...I have no idea what my alt is rated at, its a 2000 chevy impala ls with the 3800 motor..

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 461
You should be ok running 1200 rms on the car as long as the gain is set correctly. Do upgrade the big 3. It shouldn't take too much wire to do it, maybe 10 foot. It took around 5 to 6 feet to do my car. You need a piece from your alt to battery, battery to chassis, engine block to chassis. There may be stock wires already ran so you can find them to get an idea on length. Thread count is what is most important when it comes to wire. Paul was selling some 1/0 on here for a sweet deal. He may still have some left. Running 1/0 guage and doing the big 3 should get you set. If you find you have electrical problems afterwards, then you could look into a new alt or additional battery. I would recommend a nice battery under the hood though, always a good idea. Be sure to post pics/videos of your set up when its up and running 8)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Alright, but flex is good wire correct?
What kind of battery do you recommend? probably something better than a yellow top right?
I'll be sure to post some pics. Dustin is making me the box, so hopefully it turns out great!

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4291
what are you looking to spend on a battery and how big? i would go with a deka 9a31 group 31 battery. they are pretty damn cheap and they do an awesome job.

knu knoceptz kollossus
kicker
rockford fosgate

all make great 1/0

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Well, I honestly don't know how big of a battery i can fit under the hood..
I'll look into it.

Alright, sounds good. I think I'll just get a 1/0 gauge kit from Knuknoceptz, and then get 10 or so ft. extra 1/0 for the big 3. Does that sound good?

EDIT: Also, what battery terminals do you guys recommend?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12777
then get a battery isolator, and get a dedicated audio battery mounted in a battery box in the boot (trunk)

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2993
As long as your running that amp @ no less that 1 ohm, and don't have a big big hungry 2 or 4 channel amp for your speakers, i think you will be just fine without the big 3 or batt. I ran my aq1200d and an amp for my speakers in my grand prix (stock 105a alt/ interstate group 34)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Alright, well I may just do the big three, I really don't want to get a new alt. unless its completely necessary.

Should I do 1 power and 1 ground run of 1/0 gauge to the trunk? I wonder how much I need..

I looked into that deka battery, i need to do some measurements to see if it will fit under the hood.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us