Box Enclosure Tricks Anybody???

Gold Member
Username: Cplaya280

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1044
Hey guys I have 3.3 cuft enclosure tuned at 36hz for my 15" Cascade Omega. I would like to know if there is anyway i can somehow trick my box somehow to play a little bit lower. The reason for this is because on most normal rap/r&b songs it sounds nice and loud and hits the notes pretty precise. But on other songs like Young Jeezy or Gorilla Zoe or Gucci Mane which have the 34hz and lower notes most the time. My subwoofer then sounds like its gonna explode like it can't handle the lows and i know this sub and is similar to the FI BTL which can hit the lows good. So that is why i wanna know if there's any type of way to play these songs better. I did hear before Cotton shoved in the port hole helps a bit but I haven't tried anything yet since i want some feedback first.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7948
Pics of box?

If your port area will still be enough, you may be able to just block in the port w/ a piece of mdf and make it 3/4 narrower and tune it lower.

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1045
I don't have pics of my box anywhere i would have to do that some other time but idk if this info will help at all. Is there anything else i can do besides adding wood.

3.5" wide port with 56 sq inches of port area. External dimensions are 32" wide, 17.5" high and 17" deep. tuned at 36hz.

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1046
If I do decide to put polyfill in my enclosure how much should i put in and how would i keep the polyfil from flying out of the port hole

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2189
I'd build a lower tuned box. Canaans idea is good if you can get it to fit too.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2989
x3 on canaans idea.

If you go the poly fill route, i'd staple it very loosely and cover the port opening on the inside with chicken wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7949
Does your port make an "L"?

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1047
Yes i believe the port does make an "L"

I think im gonna try the polyfill route at first or polyfill batting idk which would be better. How much should I use of polyfill should i stuff it like 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or fill it as much as possible

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22574
http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1048
Thanks for the link paul. So my box now is 3.3cuft so say i wanna make it act like a 4.3cuft box that would be 1lb of polyfill per cuft? Is this correct or did i read something wrong.

So does that mean i need to add 1lb of polyfill or do i need to add 3lbs of polyfill in order for my box to go from 3.3-4.3

Gold Member

Post Number: 7950
You would be better off to just build a new box if you want better lows.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12738
for a ported box you want polyfill batting. it comes on a roll.
you'll want to line the box with it, and staple gun it in place.
loose poluyfill like pillow stuffing will get blown out the port, and all over the inside of the car.

for a sealed box, you fill it loosely with 1/3 the box volume of polyfill.

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1049
Alright i'm gonna go for the polyfill batting then. How much of that do i need for my box is it the same using 1lb per every cuft or do i just put a sheet of the batting along every wall inside my box?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 329
is polyfill in a roll, just like rolled fibergalss insulation? and say for a ported box with an L shaped port. could u just staple chicken wire over the end of the port opening inside the box and fill it loosely with 1/3 the box volume. and loose polyfill, is it like blow in fiberglass insulation or is it like packing peanuts?

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1050
So since my box is about 3.5cuft does that mean i should use 3.5lbs of polyfill

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22575
Wow dude don't go overboard lol. Don't overstuff the box, experiment with it. It's easy to do.

I used to line all my speaker projects with carpet padding. It's cheap, available at every home improvement store and easy to install. Maybe not the same sound properties as true fiberfill but always served its' purpose. I even experimented in my day with fiberglass insulation. Whatever I thought would absorb pressure waves......was my toy at the moment.....

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 427
put another front plate on ur box..

that will take the sub displacement out a tiny bit and make the port longer, so u could add maybe half inch, three quarters, one inch, get it? thatll make ur port a tad longer. shouldnt drop a few notes then with a longer port and less sub displacement ?

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 428
i was morely asking a question than stating that'd work... im only imagining it would.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16140
are u not the same guy just a few wks ago who said his TC sub was too much lows & u wanted more punchier bass then when u got this omega u said it was perfect so whats up now

like GW said : polyfil batting roll & like paul said dont overkill....

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12747
yes you can get polufill on a roll like insulation. you just get however much you need in square inches to cover the interior of the enclosure.

you could fill the box loosely 1/3 of it's volume and cover the port end, but I dislike covering the port opening with anything that could cause port whistle.

all the poly fill does is give the impression of the box being about 10% larger than it really is to the subwoofer by altering the sound wave velocity.

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1051
yeah im the same guy that had the Audipulse Revo i like how the regular notes and highers hit but once the sub trys to get really low on my omega the sub sounds just ugly like it cant handle it

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16142
maybe it needs a bigger box that is lower tuned too ...

Gold Member

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 1052
yeah i might need a 4cuft box the one i have now is 3.3. I just put polyfill batting around the lining of the wood around the whole inside of the box, And my subwoofer didn't seem like it did anything it sounds exactly the same to me. so maybe i either need a lot more polyfill batting or actull polyfill or i might just have to sumtime get a bigger box built :/. Oh well at least i tried
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us