Porting a small sealed box

Bronze Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 69
anyone ever try porting a small sealed box with aero ports?

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 998
it can easily be done, but generally a sub needs a larger box if it is to be ported than sealed. so if you are thinking of using the same box for a sub that you already have in that sealed box then i would not advise doing that.

did that make any sense?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12733
well, the main problem is that a sealed box is typically smaller than a ported box for the same speaker, and the sealed box usually won't have enough room to properly install a port tube with enough clearance around the speaker to function ideally.

Bronze Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 72
lol, yes kyle. that made perfect sense. and wolf, that's what i was afraid of. could this be done with small diameter PVC and adding one or two 90's?? what about 4" ID pvc and mabe a 90 and a 45???

buy the way, i have no experience with aero ports at all. so i dont even know what would work in an ideal box for the sub.

thanks, and sry for my ignorance.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16137
x2 on what GW said

it wont much sense since u wud end up with undersized crappy sounding box so u wud be better off building a new 1 ...

Silver Member
Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 142
maybe if the box was for a 12 and u ported it and put in an 8 instead....or it was a sealed 15 then u turned it into a porter 10. but ive done the exact thing u did steve and put the same size sub back in and it sounded real bad

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12741
just build a new box. seriously.
the sealed specs are too small versus ported specs. the port tube obstruction aside.
it won't sound good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us