Does anyone know anything about duty fees in canada?

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

Phnom Penh Cambodia

Post Number: 1867
hey all sorry i recently sold a 7" JVC double din indash hu on ebay to a guy in canada and i clearly listed i only ship inside the US but he already paid me so i just shipped it to him through UPS. It costed 33 dollars for me to ship it, so he got it yesterday but he said he had to pay a COD of $114 a duty fee or something. This is why i don't like to ship outside the US. So he is asking me to refund him the $114 to him, but i don't think its fair since i had no clue about that fee, if he knew that why did he bid on my item if he knew i was located in the US. I thought it worked the same as it would be in the US. I did my part and shipped him the item as he asked on friday same day i receive payment too. Do you think that duty fee is the buyers problem not mines? thanks

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22518
If you clearly stated you ship only inside the US and he purchased anyway I say it's on him. Although you should also state on your shipping notes any additional fees to be incurred by the buyer.

Have him scan and email you a copy of the COD. That's an insane duty fee IMO. Buying things in Canada sucks when it crosses the border.

On my shipping notes I clearly state shipping ONLY inside the continental US, no Alaska or Hawaii. Some guy bought an amp from me in Hawaii and I incurred the extra shipping cost. ONLY because I made $$ anyway and I wanted to maintain my perfect feedback score. But I could have requested addition shipping $$.

Silver Member
Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 141
ups shipments from us to canada is one big fail. i live in canada and anytime i buy from us i always get it sent usps. every singel time ups bring me a package i have to pay insane duties on it : / but with usps never once yet did i have to pay. i think this guy that bought it shoulda known....must of been his first time buying from us

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22526
That or he frequently tries to reclaim the duties from the seller. Feedback works both ways. I'm also not a fan of Paypal's new policy of holding payment until buyer leaves positive feedback (many cases). What an incredibly huge risk the seller is taking in hopes the buyer will drop that positive feedback once received. If not you have to wait like 30 days and PROVE the item was received in order to resolve the case. Many/most new Ebayers couldn't care less about feedback or how to give it. If you have an established account you rely on that rating to further your rep to future buyers. It SUCKS to sell at a minuscule or sometimes zero profit on items just in the hopes to get the positive feedback, and they never leave it. It takes the wind out of your selling sails so to speak lol.

For the $$ USPS is by far the best shipping option. Their flat rate boxes are a dream. You HAVE to spend the extra $.70 for delivery confirmation though. Without it everybody who touches that package, including the intended recipient, has an opportunity in front of them. I also weigh my package and calculate the shipping using the website. SOMETIMES, depending on the weight and distance, it's cheaper without using flat rate.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

Phnom Penh Cambodia

Post Number: 1868
thanks for the info guys, im a nice and fair guy so i decided to refund him $50 dollars back, and also so he would stop bothering me. lol. Yeah wayne felix i never shipped outside the US before so i didn't know. If i would have known i would have just shipped it USPS. Also if you ship it USPS do you have to use there box? or can you use your own box? It worked out he gave me positive feedback on ebay. I got 100% with 248 feedbacks. lol thanks again for the info.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22529
HAVE to use their box? If you want the flat rate you do. But it's convenient that their packing supplies are provided free. Their flat rate boxes and priority address labels that is. I routinely order many supplies from the USPS online store and it is not only free but to your door as well. Should you decide to ship using someone else you simply wrap the box in brown paper and viola, nobody is the wiser. Yet pound per pound USPS is the cheapest.

Brad can vouch for me on this one. I sent him an assortment of knives using a standard small flat rate 2 day priority mail box and mailed it out on a Saturday afternoon from NJ, cost was $4.95. It arrived to him in California on that Monday. That blew my mind. With UPS it MIGHT have got there by Thursday?

Silver Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Thamesville, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 103
It comes down to the value inside the package.
If you label the value low ... then customs does not charge based on the value figure placed on the package. Unless the description of the item inside the package is a dead give a way that its a diamond ring inside .. they can charge what they feel the value of the diamond ring is.

USPS is best way to recieve up in Canada.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22530
Charles, a member so long with so little to say lol?

Speak up more often brother.

For all that may not know, smilies have been temporarily disabled. (Sad face)

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 990

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 2076
Good sir, I think you got taken for a ride.

I got a set of headlights (YEAH TWO boxes worth) for my car from the US and customs was $40, each one was insured for $200......no way it cost him $114 in customs unless you declared the thing at like $1,000 value or something.

Silver Member
Username: Brewsky

Victoria, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 259
ok i live in canada buy things from the us.... my 12's at about 40 lbs each were 45-50 duty fee on each no way a hu would be that amount.. maybe 20-30 at most how big was the box you shipped it in
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us