Lookin for a little help with a system for an 04 Malibu Maxx

Username: Tradesman01

Post Number: 1
I have been out of the car audio scene for 6 years or so, my son just got his first car which is as state above a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback.

We are wanting to put it in some competitions, but one of the issues we are having is whether or not to replace the head unit. the head unit in the maxx unfortunately is also the driver information center, so we were wondering if there is any way to get to competition level without replacing the head unit.

Basically as far as everything else, we are looking for something that would hold its own in a competition (keeping in mind this is a hatchback)

if there is more information needed or anything please let me know, thanks in advance for the help

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12611
keep the head unit, and add a JL Audio "Cleansweep" pre-amp
it's designed to interface aftermarket systems to factory OE sources.

AudioControl also offers an alternative unit, but the name eludes memory

Post Number: 2
Reposting here to ask if anyone has any recommendations on subs and an amp, also are there any other items that i will need or does the cleansweep connect directly to the factory head unit

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 471
We'll need a budget and need to know what type of sound you're looking to achieve.

Post Number: 3
preferably under a 1000 if it can be done, would like to find a good balance between thump and clarity, planning on using dynomat unless something better is available now , if any other information is needed just let me know.

Appreciate it,

Dave

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 338
are u looking to upgrade ur electrical system too? if not then look to stay around 1000 watts rms. for amps check out

audioque 1200d-http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

sundown saz-1000- http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SAZ%252d1000D.ht ml
these are a couple good choices for that power, if u r upgrading ur electrical it opens ur options up to many different choices. but ull also have to have a bigger budget for those types of upgrades

as far as subs go wat r u looking for.1 sub? or multiple subs?

Post Number: 4
not sure about whether or not i would upgrade the electrical, mainly because im not sure what all it involves, or what the cost would be, as far as subs, i am open to suggestions, looking for suggestions on what would sound best

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2118
how much space is available for the subs?

Post Number: 5
the space in the back is about 38 inches wide at the smallest point, and 32 inches deep, and about 16 inches high or so

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2120
i would go with:

1 18 inch Fi Q - www.ficaraudio.com - $300 or so
1 AQ1200D - www.audioque.com - $250

that will sound great and get plenty loud

that will leave 450 for wiring, front stage, materials for box, etc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts