The Big 3 Worked :D

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 386
Just got done upgrading my wiring to the big 3. I played "put on" by jeezy which before at times dropped my voltage down to a dangerous 10.8 volts. Yuck! Well, now at its worst, my volts drops to 12.67. At above average listening volumes my voltage stayed above 14 volts continuesly. It took less wire than expected and my biggest obstacle was having to drill out the holes of the terminal rings to fit a couple of bolts. Going to go test a few other tracks out and see how it looks.

Bronze Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 14
awesome man, glad to here your success story as im about to finally do the big 3 myself. i posted it in accessories with no help yet. please respond in accessories as i will be doing this as soon as i get some feed back.

thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16091
good to know it turned out well ...

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 269
You did this to your stock alt? how much wiring did you use? Im going to try it out on my 90a alt and was just wondering

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 387
I took out my battery and found the 2 stock negatives right below it. I sanded down the entire area, then connected the new wires in place of the old ones. Then my alt's positive is in the front so it was a straight shot across to the battery. Overall it wasn't too difficult. I went ahead and regrounded my trunk ground while I was at it. I was a semi-noob when I first put all my wires in a few years back. I had it bolted to a bolt randomly in the trunk, which looked pathetic, so I connected it to a bolt under the car directly to the frame. Overall I feel my system is a lot more healthier now. I did have to push it though and find my limits :-) Under very loud volumes my volts did drop lower than I would like. That of course is due to a stock alt at idle. My next 3 goals are going to be to get a second battery in the trunk, upgrade to a HO alt and get my 300/4 fixed finally. I'm cutrrently using an RF 4 channel amp.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 270
Shawn,what terminals did you use for the battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Slo2sixty

Post Number: 31
Sweet!! Im about to do this also. Shouldn't take more than a few hours and should deff be worth it.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 390
I used ring terminals for the battery as well as the bolts on the frame. My battery is dual terminals so instead of getting new top posts I just ran the new wires to the side posts, as well as the wire running to my amps, then left the stock wires on the top posts.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 273
ok,what terminals did you use on the side posts that will take 0ga wire? I was thinking of using something like these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=263-679 I was just curious as to what you used.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 393
I picked up the stock screws that screw into the side post terminals and used ring terminals on the ends of the wires. Then just put the screw through the opening and tightened it down. You're looking at getting new posts for a top post battery. My battery has both top and side posts. I left the top stock and ran my new wires to the side.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 395
Upload

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 396
Holy cow I posted a picture and it worked! Anywhoo, as shown above I ran the new leads to the side posts and put the stock back on top where they were originally.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 397
Look at the difference in size.

UploadUpload

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13741
glad to hear the big three worked out that well for you

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22483
Yes that is a HUGE difference in size! You were certainly assured a gain in power efficiency from the big 3.

Bronze Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 35
sweet, i gota do this soon. too bad it decided to snow again here in michigan. ill have to wait a couple days.

good time to get everything around and ready though

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3558
Snow? haha, its 74 degrees and sunny here... Amazing outside!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12595
it was the same here in SC too. nice, wasn't it?
rained today though :-(

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16099
its about 95f in my country today

man look at how puny that stock wiring looks to the 0g - kinda looks like 8g ...

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1997
looks like it could even be 10 to me. im actually surprised it didnt burn up lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us