Need components

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2170
I'm redoing my front stage. Right now it's 1 6.5" component set (Realm Audio) and an Eclipse EA4000. I need some help because I touch my front stage once every 2-3 years if I'm lucky.

I need more midbass, preferably without pods. I can add another 6.5 component set, or go to a 3 way - either way I plan on running fully active.

I'm torn with what to do- 2 nice component sets (Please suggest) or 1 nice 3-way set (Please suggest).

I was thinking upgrading to 1 or 2 American bass SQ 1500m, which is rated 150x4 @ 4 ohms.

I have tons of sound deadening, and like I said either setup will fit in my factory location with some work, I just want a lot more midbass without harsh tweets.

I listen to a lot of metal and rock, mainly rap for comps and stuff though. I wont be entering any sq comps, but aside from directionality etc I do want it to sound good. I wish I could have a front stage that sounded full enough to turn my subs off entirely and be happy with the family in the car.

Budget is maybe <500 for the speakers, less is better, a little more is okay but I want to stay pretty close to this limit.

Thanks in advance

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12478
DynAudio
Rainbow
Focal
CDT

all 4 of these companies have very nice 3-way sets.
I'm using Dyn 360s in my car now.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12479
oh PS, you won;t find a really good 3 way system for under $500.
Most are around $800+
Mine were $1200

Gold Member

Post Number: 2171
Wow, been a long time since I've seen you on here!

I've looked at all of these companies, but it seems people love and hate products from all of them. There are no local shops to listen or get 1st hand experience (I'm in Myrtle Beach SC- everyone went out of business).

I was told the components I have now had good midbass, as well as the CDTs before, but neither really impressed me. It seems like anything under 150-200hz does terrible at any real volume.

Since I'm doing fully active I don't mind mix-and-matching, I just want it to sound warm and play down around 50-60hz well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2172
Hmmm, I hate to increase my budget that much :-( It's possible but I'd prefer not to.
I really lean more towards SPL than SQ, and without much real-world help setting things up I honestly doubt I could take advantage of a really nice set.

I may be wrong, I'd just hate to spend that much on equipment and find myself uphappy.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12481
DynAudio system 340 or 260 are terrific, but the passive XOs are very shallow (6dB Q)
Since you're going active, that's not a concern. their 8" midbass would sound great.

The trick to a 3 way system is that positioning is everything with them. You can't just slap a 3 way setup into factory speaker holes and expect it to work well. You really do need to fiberglass pods to aim the speakers just right, and you need to spend a lot of time just proping the speakers up in the car where you want them, or think you want them, to see how they actually sound.
I spent a lot of time doing that, and using a laser to aim them.. then glassed the pods to house all 6 speakers to get them sounding right..

After that, you'll still need a signal processor to handle time alignment, delay, etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 77
some people even like to use home audio drivers. like morel and seas in their cars.. but they would most likely be 8 ohms..
but i havent heard a big difference in my car using amps that push out 50 watts rms to my speakers, and using the same speakers on amps that push out 100 watts.. but thats just me.
or you could check out dls. they make some nice components for under 500 but they would be 2 ways

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12490
good suggestions.

There is also a fair chance that your perceived lack of midbass could be due to cabin variables and acoustics, and not the drivers themselves.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16077
DLS has some pretty good sounding comps for a fair price (ebay) ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2173
Thanks Rovin, Any experience with the R6A reference comps? I'm thinking 2 of those sets would fit nicely and the reviews I've read said great things about the mids.

I really don't have super high budget, making most of those nice 3-way sets out of my budget. SQ isn't the main priority, I want it to sound nice but I'd rather it just keep up with the bass a bit better than have excellent sq.

GlassWolf I really don't want to do more 'glass work than necessary. I know the road noise effects things at highway speed, but I really don't want to make pods.

My head unit has time alignment and x-overs, but I need a new head unit too. Because this is more of an SPL build than SQ I think I will wait a year or two to look towards your suggestions.

Anyone know a good touchscreen h/u with time-alignment and good built in eq etc?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16079
have heard a few different DLS models & they all sounded very good so i doubt anything from them will disappoint u once its installed properly

havent heard any of these as yet but i see they have their fairly recent X program line which is said is for those ppl who like it loud yet maintains the sq

http://xprogram.com/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_15 ...

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5211
Check out Beyma Power W6 (woofer) or Power M6 (mid)
Im very happy with the W6 as far as punchy midbass. And the M6 are very tight.

http://www.usspeaker.com/Beyma%20Car%20Audio-1.htm

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 311
u might like this troy

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/pioneeravh-p4100dvd.aspx?gclid=CLS1hJyOrKACFct x5QodH3XAaQ

Gold Member

Post Number: 2174
Thanks for the link charles, I might consider that.

I'm getting down to probably these two sets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DLS-Reference-R6A-6-5-2-Way-Component-Speaker-System_W0QQite mZ300400456836QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item45f1433484#ht_1810wt_1165

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAINBOW-SLX-265-DELUXE-6-5-New-2-Way-Component-Speaker_W0QQi temZ130372265774QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item1e5acae72e

Can anyone give me some input on those?

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes

Post Number: 11052
ive heard the reference 2-ways. they are absolutely magical. :-)

heard the 3-ways too, but those are a bit harder to set up. the references sound lifelike, and the tweeters are like silk, no pun intended.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
i have heard many car stereo speakers and i really cant find anything to my ears that can compete with dls for the money. i recommended it earlier, and i recommend it to anyone who asks for speakers, including my friends. you really cant go wrong with dls. and i know you have alot of bass, and my dls speakers crank! they get extremely loud, and the nice thing about it is, they maintain sq while doing it. i actually feel they just sound better the louder you turn them up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
oh and hey the funny thing is i have that same eclipse amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 2175
Looks like DLS it is. I like the amp, it's done well for me I just think I might get better results with some more power. I was looking for an xa4000 to add to things, but I can't find one that matches anymore :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
what brand is the xa4000?
but your making a good choice. let us know what you think of what you buy.
what speakers were you planning on getting?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2176
Eclipse makes/made the ea4000 and xa4000, as well as the ea2000 and xa2000. The only problem I've read from multiple reviews about the xa4000 is that is has a really fast rolloff below 45-50hz. Not much of an issue though since I'll probably have subs play up to around 60hz.

The XA series is D class instead of a/b, though it's still supposed to sound as good as most a/b, and offers more power. Also I think the XA is 2 ohms stable where the EA isn't.

I was going to get the DLS reference. I have a buyer for my type-x 12 and Realm components, so once they're sold I'll buy the new speakers. They'll be running with the crossovers till I have the amplifier power to do active- which wont be long.

I was also considering an xa4000 per pair of comps, with another xa2000 incase I need some rear fill for when I have monitors and stuff when the kids get old enough to want movies on trips. I'd probably run another pair of DLS ref comps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2181
Anyone have any experience or reviews on this unit?
http://www.zalmar.com/detail-CarElectronics-Car_Video-CQ_VD7003U.htm

I'm not buying from there, but that site has some of the best info. Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16108
wow i never knew panasonic makes stuff like that for cars

check out JVC - they have some nice looking head units ...

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12657
yeah Panny has been doing had units for a while now. A few years back they had some QA issues, but I'm hoping that's in the past. They have some really nice looking stuff. Very nice lines.

I love their home AV gear. BD players, Plasma TVs, stuff like that

Gold Member

Post Number: 2183
Well I just picked one up for 250 with ipod adapter, so I'm hoping it works out. It has x-overs and several features that would go good with 2-way active. 2v pre-outs is still higher than my 1v with my older alpine (I want to say 983x, can't remember the model). I have a line driver anyway though :D

Thanks for all input, I'm going to be fiberglassing some panels and getting my alternators in before I go back to the front stage, maybe a month or so I'm guessing before I get my old equipment sold and the new stuff purchased.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2003
if more midbass is all you want why not keep what you have and just get some 8" mids/subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us