What should i buy for my FIRST system??

Username: 20explorer02

Post Number: 1
I am looking to buy my first system and the main subs i have been looking at are the Kicker s12L7's and ive heard they are a pretty good subs but i need some professional input, also if i got 2 of them what are good amps to use and the type of box i need to get..............also i was wondering if i could buy the subs and amp without a deck for now cause im short on cash and then put the deck in, in a month or so. or would that be to big of a hassle and waste more money??? THanks robert

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 121
well if you do the install yourself it wont be wasting any money. Installing isnt hard its all color coded and all you really need it adapters and wiring kits/harnesses. Since this is your first system im goingto give you some advice and let you pick out some amps then come back here and ask which of the amps you picked are good.

First thing: Mono amps were made for subwoofers.
Second: How many voice coils do the subs have? 1 or 2 (SVC/DVC)
Third: The wattage of the subs.
Fourth: Class D amps are very efficient and dont get as hot as AB amps.
Fifth: What impedence rating do the voice coils hav (each). Itll be in Ohms which has a horseshoe for a symbol.
Sixth: This link to a bunch of wiring diagrams
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-H1OrjgFRAMj/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html
Seventh: When picking a wiring plan remember that most of the time you can get a less expensive amp if it is running 2 or 1 ohms.

So using this info you can find an amp. In the wiring diagrams the little ohm rating on the left of each picture is what your amp would be running for ohms. You want the amp wattage to be atleast 70% of what the subs can take.

Example:
Im getting two OZ Audio Vector2 Subs.
They are single voice coil.
The voice coils are 4 Ohms each.
The subs are 250 RMS each.
I chose to wire them in parellel which would give me a 2 ohm setup.
So the amp I would chose is a MTX Thunder 801D
Which is 500W X 1 @ 2ohms

Hope this all helps
"Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach a man to finsh feed him for a life time"

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 364
If i was you i would put in the sub and amp first. That way your stock component speakers can just play treble (they do good at that). Then later you can put in a nice head unit, and later on you can install different component speakers. This works the best. Because you wont really see any improvements in sound quality installing a deck. But if you put in a sub, amp, and box you will notice a big change. Then the rest from there is to make it look good.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 783
Grmncrsnbr, i hope you know that the birth sheet for thunder801d is 600w rms at 2 ohm

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 129
according to MTX's website the Thunder801D puts out 500X1 @ 2ohms with a 12.5v source

oh and whats a birth sheet haha

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 286
The birth sheet is the paper they put in the box with the amp after they TEST the amp. And one other thing MTX does NOT ship an amp if it isn't doing at least the RMS most of their amps are 20-60 watts MORE then the RMS so this means their UNDERRATED so if they aren't doing 600 watts RMS at 12 volts they WILL be at 14.4volts. Good Luck

Bronze Member
Username: Virulentv

Post Number: 26
bacons a pro grmncrsnbr . . . he can use whatever he wants !

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 130
hey umair you obviously dont know what your talking about we were discussing what i want not what he wants so do me a favor and grow up and post relevant things or dont post at all

so should i not get that amp for my subs? this whole amp dilemma is getting rediculous why cant they just post what the amp puts out is that too much to ask? would i be ok running that amp or not because if not i have to get back into to searching grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 288
Naw man you can still use it. They are VERY good amps. You MAY have to turn the gains down alittle but nothing major. Plus one other big thing about them is they tell you the RMS at 12volts. You will only have 12volts to it when the car is off when your driving down the road you will have 13.8-14.4volts so this will boost the RMS also. But all you have to do is turn the gains down and you will not have any problems. Good luck hope this helps.

Silver Member

VA

Post Number: 131
thanks a lot jayj good to be in the know.... ya know

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 233
Go with 2 S12L7 ported and run them of a hifonics bx1500. Make sure to get dvc 4 ohm and you can run both subs to 1 ohm and get 1500 rms out of that amp which will give ya 750 rms per sub. That will pound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us