Sony Subs: What type of Box??

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 33
I'm a fan of Sony, so please don't tell me how much Sony sucks, i'm sure there's another post somewhere on this site where you can do that.

A picture of the subs can be found here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803&item=5706862115&rd= 1

I am looking to put two sony 10" subs where the rear seats are located in my 96 Mustang Convertible. I need to know which type of box will be better for these subs, bandpass, ported, or sealed.

For the past year i have had 2 Sony 12" subs in sealed box in my trunk, but i've come to realize that the trunk location for the subs is no good in a mustang convertible because the wing on the rear of the car constantly vibrates (even with dynomat/brown bread) and when the top is down the sound is cut off (because when down the top sits in between the trunk and the rear seats.

Therefore, I am looking to go with the two tens (I have a sony 1200W 2-channel amp, and i feel it will be better for two tens rather than two twelves - not to mention the tens will fit better in the rear seat location (3ft. 5 inches across).

I have already installed my Sony EQ and a set of Infinity Reference Component Speakers (6x8 front, 6.5 rear) and they sound great. I didn't take everyone's advice on the forum about only going with components up front - and so far, i like it a lot. Anyways, please help.

Anonymous

well, if you want to get the most sound out the subs, the ported box will make them pound harder. For sound quality, which those subs don't have a lot of, put them in sealed box and turn them towards the back seats to reduce the rattle.

sony sucks
Unregistered guest
you may want to try some ear plugs too! sony is s.h.i.t.e. cheap horrible distorted rubbish. i wouldn't wipe my butt with one of their subs. you have a 1200w 2 channel amp? whats the thd at the rated power? probably about 0.5%, compared to a GOOD amp, which will be about 0.01%. the difference between CLEAN power, and distortion. enjoy your sony distortion system.

the reason people have told you to put speakers up front, is that we don't have ears that face backwards, you moron. all that you hear from your rear speakers is the reflection of the sound from the walls in your car. why do you come here asking advice, just to say 'well i ignored it and it sounds great'. you have just wasted your money on buying rear components, unless you have a proper dolby 5.1 system, which i seriously doubt. your 'system' sucks, you suck, and your mum sucks dick.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 717
Our recommendation was to ditch the rear speakers and get BETTER components up front. Since you're not open to constructive criticism about the subs, I'll just tell you box options. You could do sealed, but the subs won't hit as hard as the two twelves did. Ported, the output will be about the same as the two twelves, possible slightly higher, minus the "trunk bass", with less sound quality depending on the tuning frequency. Another option is to build a board across the rear seat location and mount the subs infinite baffle (free air). You will lose a little output with infinite baffle, but the frequency response will be pretty flat and you'll save space. Bandpass sucks for SQ, and doesn't work well with music, it's mainly for competitors in SPL competition.

Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 5
I'm not gonna tell you sony sucks but if you "yahoo" those subs you can find them for under 90 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 284
I've never really been a big ffan of sony subs but the ones i have heard they always sounded the best in a sealed box built to the specs that sony recomends
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us