Without Bass, Missin It, Good Budget, Suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Deanerjr

Post Number: 216
Looking to put together a system for anywhere between 1000-2000 dollars, preferrably 10's, 12's at the largest *ill be putting this in a car trunk, laying the seats down, and blowing through the hole between the backseat and trunk*. Any combinations of subs and amps that fit those specs? :D Im bascially trying to find a great product to slap in in the next month or two and bang hard. :D

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 338
You can get a sweet set-up for 1-2 grand. Are you going for SQ or SPL? How much power are you looking to run and are you willing to do any electrical upgrades?

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
my apooligies, lost track of topic, not looking for any electrical upgrades, except maybe a new battery, but i was looking at two CVXs and an MTX 1501D, anybody have input on that amp?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 403
If you plan to run 1000 + rms, you should look into upgrading the big 3. Depending on what size your stock alternator is, you may be ok. Should be a good match up.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12618
I suggest you do this:
one 12" Kicker CVR or Alpine Type R (both good output, and cheap, and good SQ. I'd lean toward the Alpine myself) and get a used class D sub amp that can drive around 500-600 watts RMS @ 2 ohms.
Get teh sub in 4 ohm DVC config.

Build a 3rd order bandpass enclosure for it, and tune for about 35-40Hz.
That should hold you over for a while.
Spend the rest on a second 2 channel amp, had unit, and some good coaxials for the front stage.

simple, straight forward, and should hit hard, and sound good.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12619
oh, and no need to drop the back seats. you should feel it right through the trunk. Let the box use the trunk as a chamber.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
hmmm. Ive got a 2009 3.5se nissan altima coupe, lookin up my alt size now, but cant find it -.- but what all do you think i would need to upgrade in order to push the mtx 1501d?

Silver Member

Post Number: 219
think this is good
http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Univ/MSD/Alternator/M465110.html
or can i be cheaper? lol
?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1999
for 1-2 grand you are looking at all the wrong stuff. forget the type r and the cvx.

go with the jbl wgti mkii. Get a 15" since you wont be able to power 2 12's without electrical upgrades. those subs run ~$350 each.

for an amp i would get any decent 1000 rms amp like a sundown or something along those lines, new or used. cost ~300 for new (guess)

that leaves you with plenty for a nice set of components, image dynamics cxs62 or 64 (2 and 4 ohm respectively) is a good set ~$400

then get a nice amp for the comp set anything that does 200x2 @ 2 or 4 ohms depending which set of mids you get. should be able to get something nice for ~$200

wiring is gonna cost you ~$100 for everything

that gives you a total of $1350 conservatively, aka you can probably do better if you look. every thing ive listed will sound amazing for sure.

if you insist on running a pair of 12's or 10's then you could get type r's but i honestly think the jbl will sound better and get similarly loud comparing the 15" jbl to 2 12" type r's alternatively you could get a 12" jbl which would still sound real good and compare to the pair of 10" r's in output.

personally i would opt for at least the big three for electrical upgrades but would more than likely get a h/o alt from mechman with that kind of budget and i would also get less expensive components and run more power to my sub stage then you open up a lot more doors like a pair of jbls or id max's.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3469
What about the box and other misc. items you missed such as HU, RCA's, speaker wire, etc.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2000
~100 was for all the wire including speaker wire. either way the box and rca's aren't gonna put him over budget. I over estimated for everything on purpose just to show how large a $2k budget really is for stock electrical.

im assuming he already has a source unit and rcas however since he said "Without Bass, Missin It" implying to me that he had a system at one point.

Bronze Member
Username: Cal1089

Post Number: 68
seriously for 2k you can do better then bestbuy/circuit city......

i agree with scafetta...... SUNDOWN AUDIO amps
just please with a budget like that dont rush, listen, get replys or you will be sorry. brands i recommend is just me

personally anything walmart,bestbuy,or circuit city i will never buy.
i do not care for kicker unless its there amps

but i had 1 12inch konaki powered by 1 AQ1200d and it pounded more then anything any of my buds tried buying from the store. they spent over 1000 i spent 400.

also quick tip on amps......you really get what you pay for.......if it looks and sounds to good to be true it most likely is

with a budget like that you can have a VERY NICE CLEAN AND LOUD SYSTEM.
Audioque or Digital designs
Elemental Designs
Sundown audio

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
awesome, i actually hadnt really looked at much but kickers, fi's, and mtx, so you think about 1000 rms will be all good on my stock alt? and ill upgrade the big 3, just wanted to know about the alt, etc..i was looking at a yellow top optima just to replace the stock batt.
also, yeah ive had a system i installed before, ive done installs, i do mostly aftermarket performance now, small stuff though, not like im swappin engines and bolting on turbos, i leave that to the people who do it for a living :D i do have my amp kit, harness, HU, and rcas etc..i can buy the MDF needed to make a custom box, and im basically looking for what you guys suggest on amps and subs, i like seeing combos, like a good sub and amp to go with it. i have the budget, but not always the best taste :P

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
any opinions on the sundown nightshade 12 and 15?
and the sa series 12's?
now that im lookin at Sundown, im lookin at either one NS 12 or 15, 1 z series 15, or two SA 12s, opinions?
also, what aout the orion 2500d? i know it looks good, but idk if ill be able to push it with my stock alt and just upgrading the big 3, but then again, i don know all that much (: heeelp? lol.

P.s. SAZ 2000D and 2 SA series 12s? do want?:3'

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 420
One thing to also consider is you don't have to have a ton of power to get loud and have good bass. It's all about quality products and your install. One important factor once you decide on your subs is going to be a well constructed enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3470
Well I'm selling my Orion 2500D if you're interested.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 321
Unless u plan to upgrade ur alt I'd stay right around 1000 rms. 1 sa-12 would go great with 1000 watts. Also look into incriminator audio and ssa subs. 2 12 dcons on 1000 would bang quite nicely

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2002
^^^ agreed.

sundown subs imo are over priced. woofers are not really going to be something you need to break the bank on but if all you want it a sub stage you can get a w7 and a 1000/1 and a h.o box and have money left over.

personally i would do the whole setup (front stage and substage with your budget) but its all up to you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
hmmm. so how about the Sundown SAZ 1000D, 1000 RMS, on two JL 12" W7's? i just watched a good quality video and loved em, but as you can see. i love alot :D lol....im pretty much set on the w7s if you guys have decent opinions on them.
And to put me in persepctive, i had a retarded setup last time, 2 kicker CVR 12's hooked up to a 4 channel 1600W MTX amp, wired like idk what and inside a prefabricated over prices best buy box. i cant remember if it was a 2 or 4 ohm load its been so long, but they were underpowered. i know the W7s are better etc etc...but how big of a difference are we talkin? ive never owned any JL.
EDIT: anywhere i could possibly get the JL 12W7 lower than $450 ea?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 421
If you found one used, that's about it. The 12 w7 is going to run max at 1000 rms at 3 ohms. If you ran 2 you would be at a 1.5 ohm load. If you ran 2 on 1000 rms they might maybe see half their potential. You'd be better off getting one, getting a nice ported enclosure and running a 750/1 or 1000/1. If not those amps, any amp that will push around the same RMS at 3 ohms.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 422
Also remember JL subs are SQ subs. They will get loud and sound great in the correct box, but these are not SPL subs. Their quality is very high though, you won't be disappointed. For less money though, if you're looking for a system that will slam, you could, just as an example, go with 2 12" SSDs on say 1500 rms, in a ported enclosure. If you want to spend the premium for JL go for it, but just know you have many other options that will be a little cheaper over all.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 423
This is a video of a single SSD seeing 900 rms. Pretty impressive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
haha, yeah. i have the budget, im actually trying to stash about 300-350 of it to the side for an intake though. so any alternative with good sound and bang would be amazing. i actually like the ssd, but..
would i be okay with the stock alt etc running say an Fi BL 12 on a Rockford Fosgate T1000-1BD, just saw a guys video and loved the BL. i saw the T1500-1BD pushing it amazing, but i figured that was a bit too much amp for my car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
also, what spec should i get on an FI? im looking at the page and im thinking the dail, and full cooling instead of just the hyper pole, but what about all the "universal" and "flatwind" etc...?
And on the Rockford Fosgate T1000-1BD, its 1000W rms right? theres so many online sellers with outta whack specs as usual -.-

EDIT: what guage wire should i use? 0 or 4?

Bronze Member
Username: Cal1089

Post Number: 69
if you got the space and cash use 0 gauge

you will be glad you did.

to be completely honest IMO your amp is the most important component then box/install/electrical then woofers.... just read lots i wouldnt spend more on sub then amp but thats me. everything is important just really need to pick an amp then match the sub.

my first DECENT setup was an AQ1200d with a 12" KONAKI. it slamed man and for 400 couldnt have made a better choice.

my next amp will be a sundown as i have never heard anything bad and heard they are better then aq so ill be ready for a treat.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 989
you can read all about those options here

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154bac3ee25497a/shopdata/0070 _Tech/0070_Speakers/0020_Tech.BL/product_overview.shopscript

if i were you, i would upgrade to the hyper pole with the universal option if you are using that amp

if you have in mind that you might want to use a larger amp in the future, then you might think about the cooling and flatwind upgrades

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2008
get ssd 15" with the flatwind option and the standard qts, you will not be disappointed. the flat wind although increases power handling also increases efficiency. the bp power slightly reduces efficiency due to slightly less metal in the motor structure so i would pass on that since you only have 1000rms to play with.

if you want to save some space get the 12" either way you will be happy im sure.

get the sundown 1000 or rockford or anything quality. there both great amps tho.

I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading the big three though it is 200% worth it.

and use all 1/0 wire for the big three and for the amplifier you will be saving a ton of money getting the ssd and the sundown so might as well get the better wiring. It does not cost much extra and it will be to your benefit and in the future if you ever want to upgrade you will be all set. I wish i did this right off the bat but I didnt know any better and was pretty broke 4 years ago.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
so this is what im basically thinking...
I will most likely not stick with that little premade enclosure, ive got someone to build me one here in town.

FI BL 12 $319

T1000-1bD $349
http://www.amazon.com/1000-Watt-Class-bd-Mono-Amplifier/dp/B001TECBS0

Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD $374
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-MVH-P8200BT-Multimedia-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B0039825PS

Enclosure $60
http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Ordnance-subwoofer-enclosure-BB12-200V/dp/B0039CJHS2

Capacitor $200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TEMHTE

Amp Kit $120
http://www.amazon.com/Swkh0-Stinger-Gauge-Power-Wiring/dp/B001NCV3JG

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 367
don't get a capacitor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Not worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 280
It all sounds pretty good,but dont waste your money on a cap or a pre-fab box. Have someone build you a box or built it yourself. It will be well worth it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
not worth it?
EDIT: also, enclosure wise, ported or sealed for the FI BL12?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 281
Imo,id go ported if you have the room. Y not do what mark scafetta suggested? 15''ssd? Im sure that would sound pretty good!

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
okay well between the these four
12" SSD
15" SSD
12" BL
15" BL

which do you think would sound best on 1000W RMS?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 282
Sorry,i just seen you were looking for a 10 or a 12.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
oh, my bad sean, haha, alot of mind changin went around lmao xD

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 283
If you have the space id go with a 15'' sub. I realy couldnt say what would sound better. Alot of things go into it,but maybe the ssd would be better suited for 1000wrms.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2012
^^^ agreed. the bl will want more power.

ssd with the flat wind is the say to go with 1000 watts. If you have room get the 15. if not get the 12. but since you said you were looking for 2 12's the 15 should fit if 2 12's will fit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
awesome, so your thinking the 15 SSD will pound harder than a 15 BL with 1000rms?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 933
2 sound splinter RL-i 10s 250ish

Or 2 D6 12s or D3s 300-350

1 AQ1200 249

1 CDT 626 com set from vertex audio(talk to mike) really cheap

Good 2ch or 4ch 200-300

Good HU 180-220

Box 200ish (1.5cubes @30hz for 10s go smaller for more SQ)

Wire 100ish

You should have money left over you deadner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us