Subs Dont Play at Desired Volume

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 25
Here is my problem:

I have a Sony 1200W Amp, 2-channel, powering 2 Sony 12" subs. I have the subs wired one sub to its own channel.

When I power my sound system on, the subs play faint sounds, and are only noticeable when the volume is turned very high up (i have a switch attached to the REM for my sub amp and my speaker amp which allows me to turn my speakers off and try this).

Is this a common problem - did i wire something wrong? I read something on another post about bridging the setup - - is that worth a try?

I checked the filter on the amp, its off, so that isnt the problem (and even when i turn the low pass filter on, it doesnt make all that much of a difference).

The only way i can hear my subs is with the volume on my head unit all the way up, and when the speakers are turned on, they are then way too loud: for example, in order to hear the same volume level from both the subs and the speakers, i need to set the subs to 20db, and the speakers to 10db (hope this makes my problem easier to understand).

This is my setup:SONY CDX MP30 Headunit, Sony XE 744 Equalizer, 4 Infinity Reference 6.5" Component Speakers powered with 800W Sony Multichannel Amp, and 2 12" Sony Subs (XLS-1246)powered with 1200W Sony 2-channel amp (XM-2200GTX).

Anonymous

ok for one thing the filter on the amp powering your subs should be ON then you have to play with the gain/leval (there the same thing) on the amp along with any bass boost and stuff like that

Basicly what i am saying is you need to tune your amps

and just to let you know there are going to be alot of ppl on here telling you that it is soneys falt and that you should of never boughten it but dont listen to them you can make this work

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 269
Turn the gains up on your sub amp. No offense but your sony stuff won't last very long man.

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 27
anonymous, thank you. i'll give the tuning a try, i left that out when i installed everything.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 349
you could bridge, mabey?

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 34
bridging is definately an option. Thanks for the advice.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3776
bridging an amp doesn't make it produce any more power than it does in stereo.

peak output x 2 @ 2 ohms = peak output bridged x 1 @ 4 ohms.
remember, bridged an amp is only 4 ohm stable most times.

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 91
what if u bridge a 2 channel amp but hook 2 speakers up to it in series. is that actually mono not bridging?? and what would the impedence be if it was a 2 channel amp and both of the speakers were 4ohm SVC??

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 123
if they are in series they would be seen as 8 ohm. If you did them in parellel they would be seen as 2 ohm. If im not mistaken bridging is basically making it a mono amp with the same power but different ohm rating.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3787

http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us