Dumb Question on Boxes

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 67
Ok I have a box for 2 12" subs. I got it from a friend for free. He had 2 12" Kicker Comps. OLD . The box had a bunch of cotton or whatever in it when i took the old subs out for my new ones. I left the cotton crap in. What is that for? Also how can i figure out the area of the box? Is it with or with/out the sub in the box??

Thanks for puttin up with me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3667
volume is WxDxH
the "cotton crap" is polyfill. it makes the box appear about 10% larger than it actually is to the speakers by slowing the sound waves. It also helps decrease standing waves.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 68
so i leave the poly fill and just measure the whole box without the speaker. from the inside would be more accurate huh. thanks.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 69
do you know what the best sized box is for a 12" Sony Xplod XS-L121P5??

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 70
and would the same sized box be used for 2 12" Cerwin Vega V-MAXs?? I am looking into upgrading to 2 of those and adding another 311D to run one off of. So 2 MTX 311Ds running 2 V-MAXs. What is the best box size for one of thsoe??

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 256
John I did what Johnathan said and put my Cerwin V-maxs in a 1cf sealed box with 1 pound of polyfill on each side of the box and it sounds great. Try that.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3672
each sub's manufacturer should have ideal box sizes for their subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 65
So if the ideal box is 2.4 cu ft and i would wish to make the box smaller than it states so i put some polyfill .... How much polyfill must i put in the box and what would be the volume of the new smaller box ?

Bronze Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 11
i beleive the rule for polyfill is 1 pound polyfil for every cubic ft of internal volume? That correct guys?

Bronze Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 67
So each pound of polyfill makes 1 cu feet ??? So each pound of follyfill makes it like you have a 1cu feet box look like a 2 cufeet box ??

ronnay b
Unregistered guest
how does that work then? surely polyfill takes up volume, not the other way round? i don't understand how it could make the box appear bigger.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3873
no.
you use a pound of polyfill PER cubic foot of net volume in the box.
this results in the box appearing about 10% larger than it actually is to the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 729
It makes the box appear larger because it slows the air down, cutting down on the "springiness" of the air, which is what puts resistance on the sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 36
EX: If your box is 2 cubic feet in dimension, use 2 pounds of polyfill.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us