Sub + Amp for a $400-$450 budget....

Username: Arlo

Post Number: 2
Hello, i'm looking to spend 400-450 on my sub and amp, just wondering what kind of setup you guys think will be good for me.
Before coming here, I was considering buying two Autobauhn 12's, but now I can tell that the majority of users here hate them....so looks like i can afford maybe one 12 of a better brand....help me out, thanks :-D

Anonymous

trust me here you should buy your self 2 kicker comp vr 12 off of ebay they are like 170 for the pair shipped and find a kicker kx 800 watt amp with the remaining 270...these subs sound great in slot ported boxes also so if u know someone who knows what they are doing and can build ya one i would do that

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3663
well, let's get a little more info first.
what car is this for?
what is the rest of the system?
what are you after? loud? clean?
how much room will you sacrifice for a box?
can you build the box yourself?

Post Number: 3
ok im new here so bear with me please....
car? '95 Camry
system? I'm looking to get a head unit that plays mp3 CD's, has an eqalizer, and generally good quality brand...looking at the JVC KD-LH300 for about $175
sound type? well i would like some nice clean bass, (i dont want one of those systems that is so loud that its gonna shake all my windows when i pull up to the house). I will be playing different kinds of music...rock, rap...so i really am not sure how to answer your question of loud/clean. do you understand what i am saying? (bear with me, like i said :-p )
as for the box...I am fine with using most of the trunk for it, and I should be able to build it myself.

thanks for the help glasswolf!

Post Number: 4
RE: Anonymous
Well I found both those Kicker products on ebay for about what you quoted...I have heard good things about Kicker... I will keep your setup in consideration...thanks...who ever you are :-D

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3670
for around $500, a Kicker KX600.1 amp, dual 2 ohm coil Kicker CompVR 12" subs, and a ported box for them. Taht should be close to your price range.

the JVC is good, although their tuners aren't so great.
you'll want a strong front stage for the car, too so as not to drown out the mids and highs with the subs.

Post Number: 5
Well those 12" subs are 400W RMS each, so wouldn't I want a 800W amp to power them? If I put 300W into each sub, would it be worth it?

I am still a little confused here about matching up the power ratings for the sub to the amp. I read on one website that all you have to do is get a setup where the amps and sub have NEAR the same RMS rating. is this a correct way to think about it? thanks again!

Anonymous

300 watts would be sufficent for each of them subs

Post Number: 6
well, how are these two 12's gonna sound? Unfortunatly, I have only heard top of the line systems (like 2000W setups) and cheap ones, nothing really mid-range. The system I always listen to is in my friend's car. He paid 100 bucks for a used Volfenhag 600W sub and amp. So anyways, compared to this cheap system, how are these kickers going to be?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 679
Fantastic compared to what he's got. Better SQ and SPL.

KY USA

Post Number: 8
Hello Jonathan, could you help explain some questions of mine in an earlier post above? I was asking about putting 300W into the sub that can handle 400W RMS. I was also wondering about matching subs to an amp that will power it. I just don't understand how to get the full potential from subs...i dont want to have to upgrade my amp later (it makes most sense to me to give each 12" sub 400W instead of 300W) please explain, thank you
-arlo

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 261
I agree his sub sucks. Arlo also check out the Cerwin Vega V-maxs they sound better then Kicker CompVRs. I have 2 of them and they are awesome. They are hooked to a JBL 600.1 I paid 480 bucks for all 3 shipped. Check out these to sites

www.sounddomain.com

www.acaraudio.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Arlo the reason they will still sound good with 300watts to each is because that 400watts RMS is a thermal rating. They don't need the whole 400watts to reach their full X-max 300 will sound just fine. You can trust Glass and Johnathan they are both VERY smart people when it comes to car audio. If one of them says it will work then you can bet it will.

KY USA

Post Number: 9
JayJ, thanks for the info on the 300W, I think I understand the reasoning behind it now. I checked out the sites mentioned and found the subs (I am guessing you have the SVC in order to get down to 2 Ohms). So did you buy them from thsoe sites? I was thinking about going through ebay to get my subs and amp, is this a bad idea? It seems to be about 10% cheaper on ebay. But if you guys recommend going through website retailers, I will go through them. I dont want to get screwed in any way (refurbs, used, etc)

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Yeah I understand you about those refurbs. I got the SVC 4ohm Cerwins Vega V-maxs and wired them parallel to 2ohms and they are awesome. I would go though those websites to buy the products because it is easier to send the product back if theres a problem. The Kicker CVRs I had before the Cerwins when I got them in from acaraudio one was f*cked up all I did was email them and they even paid for shipping back to them and send a replacement in 2 days. They have perfect customer support. But if you feel comfortable with buying your products from Ebay then go for it. You can't argue with a better price lol.

Anonymous

u got lucky with acaraudio im havin a serious prob with them right now

KY USA

Post Number: 10
What kind of serious problem are you having?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3680
speaker thermal power handling ratings are just that. thermal ratings for how much heat they can handle without damage.
it's not an indicator of how much power they need to reach peak excursion.

I was trying to fit into your budget, but you could also use two of the same subs in dual 4 ohm coil versions, and use a Kicker 800.2 amp
that'll give you a stereo 2 ohm load and 400 watts per sub.
I believe that amp is a bit more expensive.
these subs are excellent in a good box.
going from 300 to 400 watts isn't going to be a hige change. you'll gain perhaps 1 or 2dBA. Nowhere close to double the volume, or even half again as much. it'd be "noticeable" at best.
if you want to spend the extra money is your call for the added power. be sure to get teh right coil config for the subs depending on the amp you choose.
also remember, more power means more current so your alternator has to be up to par for bigger amps. most cars can get away with 600 watts. beyond that, you usually start looking at upgrading the electrical system, too.

Bronze Member

KY USA

Post Number: 12
Great, thanks for the info, I think I'll stick with a 600W amp then. It looks like I am gonna go with JayJ's Cerwins powered by the Kicker KX600.1 mono amp.
(2) Cerwin Vega V-Max 12s on ebay will cost about $210 shipped.
Kicker KX600.1 amp will cost about $270 shipped on ebay.
So a total of $490 for them....
Does that sound good, GlassWolf? Also, what should I do about an enclosure?

Bronze Member
Username: Munkyjojo

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 24
kinda off the subject... but where can i find to buy some of those "refurbs?"

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3713
enclosure is up to you
check ebay, or build one, or have one made for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us