Do i need an equalizer????

nelly2567
Hi, i was wondering if i need to get an equalizer to hook up my system. Im getting some alpine 4" type s coaxials, and a pair of alpine sps-1005 tweeters. I also have 3-way 6x9's. my subs are 2 12" type r's, and i have 2 alpine mrv-t757's pushing them. my head unit is a pioneer premier deh-730. Do i need to get an equalizer to hook this all up right? if so, what kind should i get? thank you.

an EQ will allow you to shape the sound to your liking, but it's really for the most part a convenience feature more than a need unless you compete in audio events.
what you want to consider is an electronic crossover, such as the Coustic XM-3e, or one from Audiocontrol, such as the 4XS or 6XS
this will allow you to run one or two pair of RCA pre-outs from your head unit, to multiple amplifiers, and split up which frequencies go to which channels/speakers.
this will let you fine tune your system quite well. Then you can consider an EQ later, if you just want to boost the midbass a bit, of smooth out the tweeters, etc.

Username: Underdog

Post Number: 2
So you are saying an electronic crossover will solve the problem with connecting a head unit with only (1) set of outs (L & R) to (2) 4 channel amps with 2 sets each? I am using Y's now and I know that is not the answer. I am breaking the signal with 6 Y's to get it to plug into the (2) 4 channels. I have balance but no fade.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 3
that's mainly the fault of your head unit.
for the best control in that regard you want a source with 3 sets of pre-outs.
you may also want a better layout for the amps.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 839
And always use cuts, when EQ is applied don't boost....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us