Shok Industries wire review

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22216
Got my spools today and thought I'd share the experience. I ordered 4 spools, 2 each of the 1/0 and 4 ga in CCA. I have to first comment on the flex this wire has. I have bought and sold some decent 1/0 ga before but this wire has it beat. The jacket is very forgiving and tight 90 degree bends are not a problem whatsoever.

The 1/0 ga has 5250 total strands composed of 7 smaller bands that are woven. 4ga is listed on the website at 2000 strands.

Overall a VERY decent wire IMO especially at the price it's currently at. I got it at the pre sale numbers but considering the market's take on the industry and the commodity as a whole you can't beat it. At a tad over $2.27/foot for 1/0ga with this quality who can complain?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/Power-Wire-c62.htm

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1972
damn i almost bought some of this. good thing you posted this i never knew it was cca. I really like to get pure copper if i can. If you keep your eyes peeled you can get pure ofc for $2 a foot shipped.

I got some marine cable a few months ago for $2 shipped and its actually really nice stuff. comparable to my ed wire and mobile spec but more flexible.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13548
good stuff

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1973
Just found this article about cca vs ofc (below). its a pretty good read and not very long but it basically says cca is fine for most applications. Im my application i prefer ofc because i cant fit many runs in my rocker panel and my amps only have single 1/0 inputs and can draw up to 320 amps of current each.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/caep_0804_copper_wire_vs_copper_clad_ aluminum_wire/watts.html

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22220
Just to restate it's good wire for the money. I will have NO problem reselling this stuff.

The last 1/0ga I bought into was the ED wire and everyone liked it. I'm just saying this wire has it beat on flex. It IS CCA but still a good deal.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22221

quote:

If you keep your eyes peeled you can get pure ofc for $2 a foot shipped.

If you can get 1/0ga pure copper at $2/ft shipped you should buy a truck load.

Seriously.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1976
I was not nockin the wire at all its great stuff. ive read plenty of reviews on it and it does the job well i just never knew it was cca and then i just found that article (which also says the cca is plenty in most applications) doing some very quick research to see just how different they were (i could not remember off hand).

I just personally prefer pure ofc simply because my amps will push cca close to the limit being that there only single 1/0 inputs and make 3500+ rms @ .5ohm.

The ofc i have gotten for $2 a foot was welding cable but it was very good stuff imo. I have some of that ed and its also pretty nice stuff but its tinned ofc not cca. the welding cable is better than the ed imo, its much more flexible and i dont really like the tinned stuff i feel like the tin adds resistance since current needs to go through the tinning material to get to the conducive copper. there pretty mush the same dia tho.

in terms or resale you shouldn't have a problem i would imagine. 2.17 a foot for name brand 1/0 is very good plus that wire is supposed to be super easy to work with.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 940
heres 2 more rolls of shok 0 gauge 100 shipped each in case u want a couple more, thats not me btw

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/465569-shok-0-gauge-wire-50f t-blue-50ft-red.html

Bronze Member
Username: Vertexaudio

Post Number: 24
Paul, good stuff man. Glad it all arrived safely to you. That 4th pic down is excellent - best demonstration of the 1/0 flexibility that I've seen so far. Shok Industries Reference CCA is the real deal. Enough said.

Enjoy!

Mike
Vertex Audio

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 4204
good link up there mark

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2047
Btw, the SHOK CCA is rated for 260 amps at 18-20 foot :-). Best CCA I've gotten to use so far.

I'm about to upload a pic or two my self

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2139
My cousin's just came in from Vertex Audio a few days ago. Excellent flexibility, looks very nice.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10986
I heard this stuff was good, didn't realize it was that good...

$2 per foot is what my pure copper hugfen 1/0 cost me a few years ago... it is good wire but one thing its not is flexible.

When I run out of hugfen I'm trying this stuff

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22270
Anyone catch that deal on knukonceptz? Something like $1.50/ft for 1/0ga??? Got the email days ago.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1984
after shipping it was like 1.83 a ft but still a good deal. the shok cca is much better than the knu cca tho.

i dont really like the knu cca. insulation is real thin and its pretty stiff. having said that for 1.83 a ft you wont find new genuine 1/0 for less.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4828
the Knu cca pretty stiff? That thing is a bish! I hate it. Paul, how do you plan on selling this wire? How much per ft. If anything I'll buy 20ft or so. I need some power wire to run to my batteries in the back.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13654
Hey berny did you decide on an amp to power those subs yet im just curious

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4829
I haven't decided yet. I'm trying to stay reasonably priced. As I get older, its hard to put down 800 for a amp. Nice, yes! Will I be broke afterwards, definitely! But I'm thinking about a Crescendo 3k for $550.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22281
Berny just cover my cost of the wire and shipping. Or say $2.30/ft shipped for the 1/0ga? That might actually be less than what I paid lol.

Whatever.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4316
I might be needing about 20-25ft or so. Will let u know by sat or so

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22282
No problem.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2048
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/basebalz13/IMG_0502.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/basebalz13/IMG_0503.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/basebalz13/IMG_0505.jpg

Holy bateman thats alotta wire :-)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh277/basebalz13/IMG_0504.jpg

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4830
Paul, if Mark gets 25ft I'll get 25ft. That way you don't have any small pieces left over.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22283
Sounds good to me. That will leave me with still a full roll of 1/0ga and 2 of the 4ga.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4324
If you still have and 0 ga wire, I will be needing $75 worth basically 25 feet or so PayPal is ready when you are .

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22351
Pm sent. Just let me know which color you want. As long as your address is confirmed on Paypal it will ship out tomorrow. I'm taking my snowblower to my folks to get worked on today and I don't plan on getting back until after dinner. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4325
I know that i have bought wire from you before but your PP addy is not swhowing up. Need it so I can send you the $$ Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4326
PP sent

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22356
What color??????

Oh and expect a free knife. Any preferences? Tactical, pen knife, ect?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4327
No preference. Whatever color Berny wants (if he sees this before you ship tomorrow)
Was is PP comments..

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22359
He hasn't ordered any yet. So I dunno.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4328
blue would be fine.

As for a knife, well it's up to you, but If I had to choose, it would be a tactical fixed blade or a very sturdy lock blade (half- serrated if possible) hint -hint,. But i have no preference lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4329
BTW.. did I mention that you are da fu<kin man!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 332
How many feet of cable does it normally take to do the big 3? I'm thinking 8 foot should be more than enough. What is your email for paypal?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22360
No problem whatsoever. I have a plethora of knives to choose from and will choose at my own discretion then sir. Enjoy.

And don't kill anyone using it. It MIGHT hurt my business.

On the other hand it might actually help it lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22368
Sorry Shawn, I didn't see your post until today. It depends on your vehicle and the distance between battery, alt and ground. Estimate and add say 10%-20% for error? Figure out the length you need and I'll PM my addy to you with the shipped price.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 333
I'm gonna order 10 foot of the Red 0 gauge. I looked at my alt and the connection is on the front and I don't have far at all to run the wires. I only saw one ground coming off my battery. My friend Tim said that ground will run to the engine block and then there should be a ground from the engine to the chassis. Does that sound right? I can be reached at afanofdeftones@hotmail.com

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22370
1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis.

I'll email you the amount for 10' shipped and PP addy.

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4841
Paul, email me for the other 25'. I'll send paypal payment as gift so you won't be charged the pp fee. bernymackattack @ yahoo.com, send me your paypal addy and total amount.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 341
The wire came in today, took 2 days :D The wire looks really nice. Very pleased, thanks for hooking me up Paul. I've got a question on upgrading the big 3. I have a red top optima battery which is dual terminal. Instead of getting new battery terminals and reconnecting all the wires, can I just run the new power to the side post positive and the new ground to the side post negitive? Or is it better to have everything coming from the same posts? If I can do it that way it will save me the trouble of ordering new battery terminals.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22393
Good to see it got there.

Power flows in the path of least resistance. The larger the wire the lower the resistance. Assuming your new wire is larger (duh) then your existing stuff I see no problem with it.

Chime in guys if I'm way off base.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 342
Sweet. I'm looking up ring terminals now for the wire... Should I go with 1/4", 5/16" or 3/8" . I guess whichever size is normal for a side post terminal I'll go with. I don't want it too large and be loose nor too small and a bolt won't fit through it. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 343
BTW, thanks for the knife :-) I've already passed out a couple of your cards. I'll pass out more as I run into people.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22394
No problem. I want to order new plastic coated cards but have like 1500 more to pass out first lol. I have tee shirts too. I give one away for free with every $50+ order.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4337
Hey Paul.. I am sorry for not getting back to you. I did recieve the wire and knife. Great choice with the knife btw! I really like it. The wire is much better than I expected as well. Just wanted to say thanks again!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22431
Nice. I was pleasantly surprised on the wire myself. It has great flexibility. And no problem with the knife. I only have a handful of models with serrated blades. It's becoming a very popular request lately.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12501
on a side note, OFC is good stuff, but do keep in mind that the process of making OFC wire removes the iron from the copper, thus increasing the resistivity of the wire. Just something to think about.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 278
Paul,I havent had any time to see exactly how much wire i need so if you still have some I'll just take 10ft of the red 1/0ga. 10ft should be more than enough so i wont worry about it. Email is jasyn@comcast.net

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22519
Email sent. Sorry I only have blue left. Most of my 1/0ga is spoken for.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 279
Blue works for me, thanks again

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 284
Got the wire today,REALY FLEXIBLE! Id have to say ive never received anything shipped that fast either. Thanks again paul.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22546
Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing your box built.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 430
Just a tip using the wire for the big 3, make sure to use pull-ties or something along those lines to secure the wire. When the wire gets warm from being under the hood, the wire gets really soft and will droop down.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 287
Thanks paul,im excited about it too!
Shawn,thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us