Matching Speakers With An Amp

Username: Alexderus

Post Number: 5
hey everyone,
i am planning to install infinity 5-1/4" in the front of my car which are rated at 45 watts RMS and infinity 6x9" in the rear which are rated at 100 watts RMS. i was looking at an amp that is rated at 110 watts x 4 RMS. Do i have to worry that the fronts cannot handle as much power as the rears? Can you set up an amp so that it sends a certain amount of power to each channel? Thanks a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 660
Bad idea. The fronts should be given more power than the rears, if you give the rears more power, then all the sound will be coming from behind you, which is not a good soundstage at all. You can turn down the fronts via the gain a little, but it depends on what head unit you're driving the amp with (voltage output) that determines how much you can turn the gain down. I'd ditch four coaxials and get a component set for the front, then get a 2 channel amp that matches the RMS rating of the speakers.

Username: Rockon84

Post Number: 7
I agree with Jonathon. I started my car with 4 coaxial speakers and am now planning on putting two good components in the front. If you get one pair of components and a decent amp to power them it will sound much better than 4 coaxials.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 89
Yep, I agree with both of the above. And the 110W to the 45W speakers will cook them the first time you turn it up near half.

-Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us