New system design help in Ford wagon

Username: Bk1

Mo

Post Number: 1
Am I doing this right for a 2003 Ford Taurus Wagon? Not competition, just want good sound.
Alpine CDA-9835 (b/c I'll be running my iPod when the adapter comes out)
Four Infinity Kappa 572.5cf 5x7's.
One Infinity Kappa 10" (or what would be the best 8"?)
One Alpine MRV-F450 Amp 50x4 + 200x1 (or other best 5-channel)

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 74
Okay, few comments:

1. I hate oval speakers. Read why here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=102683#POST102683

2. A Perfect 12.1 is only $10 more than the Perfect 10.1 at the same power requirement and (obviously) better delivery.

3. Either of those subs is 350W RMS, which is a lot more than the 200x1 offered from that amp. You can also do a lot better getting a different 5-channel (HiFonics NX8000) or two separate amps (either 1 4-channel + 1 mono or 1 2-channel + 1 3-channel) for the same (or less) money.

-Matt

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 636
The head unit is fine. For your budget, I'd do a Perfect Component set opposed to the coaxials (Matt explained above), the 6.1 may fit depending on the car (haven't seen the speaker mounting in a 03 Taurus) if not, then the 5.1 and the Kappa Perfect 12.1 like Matt said. If space is a limitation then the 10.1 will be ok. Forget rear speakers for now. The front speakers are much more important and you'll be better off spending your money on a high quality component set than 4 mediocre oval coaxials. A single high quality component set will ALWAYS sound better than 4 oval coaxials as long as they're installed correctly. Also, the rear speakers are ideally faded to a very low volume level, so it's kinda wasting money (especially since you're on a budget) to pay extra for the 2 rear channels saying they won't be used to their full potential, anyway. A Hifonics Zeus ZX6400 will put 85x2 into the components, then you can bridge the rear channels for 350W RMS. Make sure the subwoofer is SVC 4 ohm, Kappa Perfects come in either SVC 4 ohm or DVC 4 ohm. That will be a much better matchup than your original plan, trust me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Okay, few comments:

1. I hate oval speakers. Read why here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=4&post=102683#POST102683

2. A Perfect 12.1 is only $10 more than the Perfect 10.1 at the same power requirement and (obviously) better delivery.

3. Either of those subs is 350W RMS, which is a lot more than the 200x1 offered from that amp. You can also do a lot better getting a different 5-channel (HiFonics NX8000) or two separate amps (either 1 4-channel + 1 mono or 1 2-channel + 1 3-channel) for the same (or less) money.

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Sorry about the doubled post; this site is testing my patience today.

Anyway, I concur with Jonathan's sentiment about putting the bulk of the system (particularly if this is new & budget) into the front end.

How often do you sit in the back seat? :-)

-matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Sorry about the doubled post; this site is testing my patience today.

Anyway, I concur with Jonathan's sentiment about putting the bulk of the system (particularly if this is new & budget) into the front end.

How often do you sit in the back seat? :-)

-matt

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 643
Two doubled posts. It's quite frustrating, I know. Don't feel too bad, a lot of my posts didn't even make it, even after seeing it on the thread. The next day it'd be gone.

Username: Bk1

Mo

Post Number: 2
Hey, Thanks a bunch!! And double-posts are better than no posts.

I have the room for the Infinity 10.1. Is that really that much worse than the 12.1?

Also, I have rear hatch spots for a pair of round 5.5" to 6.24". I love sound all around me and considered a midbass or component back there. I guess I don't really need the highs, but I don't know a good midbass, either. Thought about another set of Kappa Perfect 6.1 back there, too.

SO,
Alpine CDA-9835 head unit
2 - Infinity Kappa perfects 6.1 up front
1 - Infinity 10.1 in back floor
1 - Hifonics Zues zx6400 (85x2+350x1)
1 - Hifonics zx4000 (2x100)
What goes in the back hatch?(Kicker SSMB6 is the only speaker labelled a mid bass that I could find.)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us