System on a budget

Username: Ruski4banger

Post Number: 1
Hi. Im a new guy here and I would like to ask u guys for help...

I just bought an Audiobahn Alum12x with Dual 3 ohm voice coils 1000 watts RMS sub ($75 used but in excelent condition)... a sealed box ($30 new), 4 gauge wire kit ($25 new), and now Im looking into getting the Audiobahn A8002T Amp ($200 new). These are the specs on the amp:

2 - Channel
2 Ohms Stable Stereo
2 x 200 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms Stereo
2 x 400 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms Stereo
800 x 1 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms Mono (Bridged)
Air Intake Cooling Fan
18 dB Bass Boost
S/N Ratio: > 100 dB
Variable Subsonic Filter: 20 Hz - 50 Hz
Variable High Pass Crossover (18 dB): 50 Hz - 750 Hz
Variable Low Pass Crossover (18 dB): 50 Hz - 120 Hz
Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 40 KHz (+/- 1 dB)
THD: 0.02%

My question is how would I go about connecting the coils and the channels together for optimum sound... also if I should consider getting any other amps (but please keep in mind that Im on a budget and can oly pay $200 for the amp and thats the best Ive found so far..)

Sorry for the long post but I figured that it would be to get most of the info out here so that you guys could answer quicker.

Thanks in advance - Ilya

P.S. I have a Panasonic MP3/WMA Player with a 4X50W headunit ($150 new)

Bronze Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 82
If you were planning on only running one sub on that audiobahn amp, you shouldn't have bought the DVC 3 ohm version. you shoulda got something else, like a single 4 ohm, or a DVC 2 ohm sub. only these two subs will get the best out of that amp. you'll only be able to run the sub that you got at 6 ohm or 1.5 ohm. you can only run it at 6 ohm, since your amp is not stable below 4 ohms mono. i think you should get a new amp, or a new sub. and make sure this time, that the ohms fit if you want optimal performance.

Post Number: 2
Ok since Ive already bought the sub, and I havent ordered the amp yet which amp should I get that wouldnt run to high in price and yet still do the job.

And if not, what is the optimal wiring I can get out of this amp and sub combo... Ive been told today in a diff place to wire the coils in parallel and bridging the amp, but you say that it wouldnt be stable that way... so whats the worst that can happen?

Also, would it be better if I connect a coil individually to once channel meaning one coil to one ch and the second coil to the second ch

Thanks - Ilya

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
yes you can wire one coil to one channel of that 2 channel amp. although i haven't done that or experienced with that type of wiring, i'm pretty sure you can. since each of those channels can go down to 2 ohm stable, each one will be presented 3 ohms instead. you will won't get all the potential watts from your amp, but it'll do if you want this sub and amp combo. going below the load that the amp is capable of handling will basically cause harm to your sub, amp, or both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
or if you got the dough, then you should buy 2 more of those DVC 6 ohm subs (if you want to stay audiobahn), and wire them to get a 4 ohm mono load off of those. then you will get the potential from the amp in bridged mode. i've had experienced with DVC 6 ohm subs. i had 3 in a sealed box and they just bumped.

t879789
Unregistered guest
Anyone know what i need to buy to use my car subs in my house, with my shelf stereo?

Post Number: 5
But if I get 2 more of the subs, wouldnt I then need to get like 2 more amps? and that would be too much money, hence the name system on a budget..

Post Number: 6
Oh I just went to the Audiobahn site and they said not to hook up each coil to each ch unless they are mono channels... Is there a way to make those chanels mono? Also is the sub a dual coil 6 ohm or a dual coil 3 ohm? if so (6 ohm) does that mean if i connect it in parallel it would run with 3 ohm resistance? and if i connect the amp bridged into a mono which is 800W RMS X 1 at 4 ohm resistance, would that one ohm do a signigicant amount of damage? Im sure it wont damage the amp because its a 1000 RMS so if extra watts go in its not gonna blow. the only thing i can think of is that the amp will start to heat up but yet that amp has that built in cooling system and i can drop the back seats down to get it more cool air. Do you guys think it will work? because i cant find another alternative to the audiobahn amp that wont make a big hole in my pocket...

hairy_harry69
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how the bass of a sub without a car amp compares to sub with one?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us