Plexi glass box ???? can it be done ?????

Bronze Member
Username: 88retta

Farmtown, Oh

Post Number: 66
My friend wants to build a speaker box for 1 12" sub....he wants to build the whole thing out of plexi glass. Is this possible ? Will it sound just as good as a wood box ? I had no idea what it would sound like so i am asking other peeps advice, so if anybody would know could you please respond.

Username: Disturbedpriest

Post Number: 6
A box should be made out of something that doesnt give. I dont know about plexiglass.. how thick is it.. I think this is someting glasswolf would know about though.. try to get his attention and ask him.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 255
Yes a box can be made out of plexiglass. Use like 1" thick plexiglass. Anyyless and it will flex really bad. you can find some online but they are very expensive.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 48
The best is to make one side of plexiglass and put a neon at the side to see the sub pumpin... Thats the best solution because a box which is all plexiglass can break with lots of bass..

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3608
Wahl is right.
you need 1" lexan.
it's about $1,200 for a 4'x8' sheet.
you'll need to burnish and buf out any cut edges, pre-drill and countersink all screw points, then scuff any cemented surfaces and use a lexan epoxy before screwing teh box together. after that you'll need to silicone seal the box from the inside along all of the joining edges.

Silver Member
Username: Dan3

Post Number: 115
hmm that might be a kewl idea in the future, and since my dad owns a glass business he has alot of that stuff...

Bronze Member
Username: 88retta

Farmtown, Oh

Post Number: 68
thx for all of your guys help

Username: Disturbedpriest

Post Number: 9
See, i figured glass wolf would know! That sounds like a neat box, but very expensive.. would it even be worth it?

Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 2
try this link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Audioflux_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
it is a store on ebay that sells plexiglass boxes. they are pretty expensive though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us