21" warden / AB 1000.1 Build log

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2086
I'm going to start a new build log for this, the topic of the UPS thread didn't seem fitting.

Wood cut.
Upload
Upload

Build power in a can- no build is complete without energy drinks imo.
Upload
Port
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Sides and bottom in place
Upload
Upload
Upload

Battery powered circular saw is so awesome for small cuts like this one.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

As it stands, it just needs the top layer glued and screwed in place, and the holes cut out. I need to pick up a new router jig. I won't have the copper ready for tomorrow, but I'll have the box in at least.
Upload

And yes I'm doing my build in a random house lol.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4822
Very nice. Can't wait to see vids.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2615
how much do those ab 1000.1 run for?

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4293
I'm with ya on the Chuck Norris Piss ( Red Bull). What tuning/ volume did you gio with?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22075
Oh no you killed Spongebob!

Upload

Nice work thus far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2088
Nice Paul lol. I was thinking more like this:

Upload

I think the MSRP on the 1000.1 is over 3k, but they go for a lot less esp used.

Mark- I'm going with 15ft^3 net, tuned to 36hz. The port is 10hx22d, so 220sq inches. I figure once I get another daily box made it'll be really easy to chop this port shorter to do a bit of spl testing.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15954
funny pic of u in that port ...

cant tell from the pix but is that 3\4" mdf ur using ? ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2089
Yes sir, 3/4 mdf, double baffle. I will use Birch or similar for the next box probably. It really just depends on how much I like this one.

I always round over the port and stuff, but I'm more interested in actually testing what little differences will make with this.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 255
my boxes all ways come out ghetto...... and troy usaly has some of the best build logs. you are gonna take video for us right?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15957
on i see so its a experimental box

for that size & such powerful subs i wud use nothing less than 1" , some internal bracing or maybe some threaded rod since i expect high 50s possibly 60 from that set ....

Bronze Member
Username: Cod1989

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 24
is it expensive to build your own custom box? or hard? i didnt take woodshop ahah :p

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 255
Its fairly cheap to build your own box, as long as you have access to decent tools. It can be pretty easy as long as you understand the principals and aren't working with any crazy shaped boxes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2090
The best part about building a box is you can decide how much money and time you want to invest in it. If you let lowes cut your wood for you you may spend 15 minutes letting them cut wood, The cost of wood depends on type and amount, but I needed 3 sheets of mdf. Lowes price = 75 bucks.

You need wood glue, screws and screwgun/nails and nailer.
A box for a 12 may take 1 sheet of wood, costing like 30 bucks without carpet etc.
If you do a large box with fiberglass and tons of bracing with a nice wrapping or paint job it's easy to break $200.

Still, ask any shop for an estimate and see how much you save in labor- and with some practice and skill you'll get a better product than most shops.

Thanks Charles, I try to post lots of pics, but honestly because I let Lowes do a few cuts it didn't turn out as perfect as I would have liked. The damn port's a bit off, first box I've ever had something dumb like that happen. Fk retards that can't cut good with a damn panel saw. Yes there will be vids.

Rovin- I've had serious issues with my sunroof. It's off track and dropped me down 1.5 db or so the moment it popped off.
I hate to give goals, but from previous experience I'm going for 155. I may or may not get it with this box- I honestly expect around 153.5ish at 42hz. With the SPL box though I'll be tuned a lot higher. I want to get a jeep or blazer to throw this setup in.

I'm formatting pics in a second- more work done today. It's just short of ready to go.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 257
yah i let home depot do 1 cut before i stoped them they where cutting arches with a panel saw..... so i bought a circual saw lol just made a box for my g/f.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2091
Cutting the sub holes. I love this new Rigid plunge router. I don't have the plunge base on here, but it works so good. It's amazing- It has the same power ratings as the Hitachi and Porter Cable I used before, but cuts sooo much quicker without bogging down. Also the 1/2" Fuego bits from home depot work a lot nicer than the up spiral bits I've been using.

Upload

Two quick passes makes a nice ~1/4 inch deep x 1 inch wide recessed area.
Upload
Upload
Upload\
Upload

One more time
Upload
Upload
Upload

Painted the port black. Primer + 2 coats of this Rustoleum lacquer stuff. Another coat or 2 should make things very smooth, but damn it's black.
Upload
Upload
I like where this box sits. It's higher than I wanted to make it, but it leaves somewhere around 8-10 inches from the back gate.
Upload
Upload

Bracing. I figured 3/4" pipe should be better than threaded rod. And much easier to install. I plan on putting some resin or something in it, I can't decide what.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Test fitting a sub, I'm happy with how it sits.
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2092
I let one guy do my cuts- I marked where to cut with a square and pen- marked the scrap side so he could cut right next to the pen mark. PERFECT cuts. The dude understood how to cut on a line.

The guy who cut this time didn't even cut on the right fckin side of the line, and didn't understand that a saw blade takes up like 1/8" or something. Asshat really pissed me off.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 258
gota love how places hire guys that don't know there job. i am gona be a network systems admin and i know what i am doing.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22082
Flucking nice Troy! I don't know why but somehow I always compare your setups to Jake Papa's. So clean and sweet. And you're right the tools make the difference. As with ANY power tool it is only as good as the weakest link. Freud and Bosch make some of the best router bits IMO. You can spend more on a great bit than you can on a second hand router any day. I know of some 1/2" shank cabinet making router bit sets that are $250+. You don't wanna put those in a $80 router lol.

And X2 on the hired help making cuts. It's a crap shoot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2093
That's what I'm taking classes for atm. I'm liking anything to do with programing more- even database programming. Unfortunately networking is more in demand in the area.

I figured they cut and thread pipe at the store- why not let them do it, right? I had a group of 4 female employees standing around watching 1 guy cut the pipe.

Now I'm not trying to be sexist, but if the woman isn't strong enough to pick something up, or isn't smart enough to operate hand tools, why not put a male in her place? Anyway- not trying to complain about unqualified employees since they're everywhere.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 259
troy if you ever need help with any networking stuff hit me up, where are your at in the learning process? shoot me an email gcsviii at gmail.com

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22083
Troy it's not sexist at all. It's a simple observation. I've noticed it too in some of the jobs I've held.

I hate when a woman claims she can do ANY job a man can. Sorry but if I was suffering from smoke inhalation in a burning building, the last person I want trying to carry my 200+lb frame to safety is a 125lb woman who is also carrying 100lbs of equipment herself. Not gonna happen, not even in Hollywood.

Ok maybe in Hollywood lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2094
Thanks Paul. I think these bits are about 25 a piece- not too expensive but they cut quicker than the Bosh bits I have experience with. The 1/2 shank is really nice imo- I've had 1/4" bits break before and that's a pain.

lol I like the fireman comparison. It's true, and each gender can do some things others can't. Like men can't have babies and women can't use powertools or drive.

I guess some places have to hire women just to prevent a law suit for discrimination.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22086
^^^Oooofff. Thank god we don't have female regulars lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22087
I love women. I like all their pretty parts and especially when I can touch all of them.

Lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4295
same problem with the last box I built for 2 15" HW gp'ers (not mine). I asked for the guy who made the cuts on my HW box (his name was Mark- made it easy to remember) and wouldn't you know, he was off that day.. Well the meathead who said he was " a pro" with the panel saw, was no pro. I stopped him after his third cut. I wanted to punch his mom in the cunttt to keep her from reproducing ever again.. If Mark isn't there the day I need any cuts, well I'll wait till he is there. I tipped him 10 bux and was happy to do so. Every cut was on the money and perfectly square except one(at my request I wanted it a lil over for leway) My B&D tablesaw it not quite big or sturdy enough to be working with full sheets of MDF (needing presice cuts) I would happily trade Troys new setup for one of those Panel saw setups at my house.

Troy,, what circle jig setup are you using?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15959
ooooh such colorful language in here ...

how much dust does that router make & which jig are u using ? ...a while ago i bought a craftsman circle jig but i found it to be bulky & poorly made , it had a stupid nail as its point so i sent it back & never even tried it ...i still use the ol jigsaw method

hey im watching the way ur box sits (must be really heavy to lift that all by urself) & im getting a idea : what if u were to cut off in 45 angle about 6" off that box edge above the port so that it may improve the airflow

Upload

of course u will lose some cuft & the port length may have to be altered too - what do u think of that idea ...

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1928
this build is just nasty. cant wait to see the finished product.

what kind of electrical system you running with this?

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2036
Paul- Good idea. but actually just taking a PVC pipe and putting around the corner has always been louder in my testing :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2095
I used a Hitachi table saw before it was stolen, but with rollers on either end to help hold the MDF. I almost always have someone near by who can help with the big sheets if need be though. I saw a worm drive saw nearby f/s cheap, I was thinking about making my own panel saw once I get my garage addition finished.

I let one guy do a few cuts before and he did a great job, I guess it's hit or miss with the employees.

If I didn't love women I wouldn't have 2 kids ;)

Mark I got the circle jig from Lowes for like 15-20 bucks- it's the only one they stock now. I have 2 of them and I'm pretty happy with how they work. One of them has shown signs of wear- basically since the whole thing is plastic some parts are prone to crack. It's quick to adjust, and cuts up to 40 inch diameter holes. It works good for the price and availability imo.

It snowed here in Myrtle Beach SC, which means I'm not driving to go do work. I left the copper bars and stuff about 1/2 an hour drive away, and people don't know how to drive. Since we're celebrating Valentines day today- I wont be working late. I doubt I'll get anything done today other than some wiring.

Bronze Member
Username: Vertexaudio

Post Number: 18
Coming along well man. Glad you finally got the subs. Enjoy

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 258
This set up is going to slam.. Nice job as always Troy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2096
I was considering something like that rovin, but the words were taken out of my mouth- I plan on putting pvc on some angles to see how it effects things. I wanted to build a box quick and have it ready to test, so a lot of extras were left to come back to.and see where I gain. Then I'll build another daily box, then a good spl box, then I'll go back to the single sub and see what sort of #s I can get with that. I'm not the sort of person that enjoys testing lots of different equipment. I ran the same subs since '06, and finally decided it was time to change. I plan on keeping these subs for a long time as long as the coil config works out- just building lots of boxes.

This jig also uses a nail to hold a plastic piece in place to center the jig up. It would be much better if they worked on that aspect of it, but overall the jig cuts holes the size I need. I don't think it will do 10" cutouts, but I used it for a 12 and it just fit. I don't think I'll ever do another 10 if I can help it anyway lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15965
cool man

i share some of ur sentiments too in that i have my 15mt over 3yrs going with the very same box too & may do a change later on this yr ...this is my spl set of course since for daily enjoyment use i dont need more than 1000wrms

both mon & tues in my country are holidays so i got 2 days to build a new box for my 15 & play around with it ...spl comp season here starts back next mth & i odnt want to wait last minute to try anything new ...some how i gotta find me at least 2 more dbs to beat my closest competitor ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2097
Yes, a big thanks to Vertex Audio for helping this build come together. Great C/S, and very helpful.

Competition here is crazy, if I do no-wall I'm competing against Sundown owner Jake, also I think there's another new build in a van with a 4th order below the window doing 160+.

Mark electrical is supposed to be 4 Iraggi 220s (like 180 at idle) and as many 3100s as I can fit. Also 8 runs of 1/0. 4 batts right now, but in a few months maybe I'll have cash to weld a rack under the car like I want to. That'll give me room for another 4 or 5.

For now It'll be roughtly 720 idling amps/900 peak, and 4 batts.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1348
I am so excited to see videos of this! Didnt you do a 150 with 1 alpine type x? This should be ridiculous.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2101
It was 140 and change with 1 12" type-x and a factory charging system. Nothing great, but out of my wifes trunk with no tuning it was fine.

I got it to bass race 138ish, I'm thinking with a more spl oriented 12 and upgraded electrical 139.9 bass race would have been no problem.

I was taping the final bit of copper today and had another tap break. I had a shop remove the fragment, but god knows when I'll have more time to get them finished :-(

I'll probably put the amp in place and put the subs in tomorrow or weds.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13410
I cant wait to see the final numbers on this project

Gold Member

Post Number: 2106
Thanks.

I got the terminal bolts put in today, although I started wiring for 1 ohm and realized I don't have my alternators yet :-( So I'll be rewiring for 4 ohms for now.

I also got the "fuse holder" setup almost done. It's at least enough for me to hook fuses/wiring until I make the top cover. I'll get the amp in tomorrow and maybe the bracing. If all goes well I'll be able to at least listen to it at 4 ohms

The tap that broke off
Upload

I made a plexi case to hold the bars and give me a nice way to mount them. I plan on making a cover with some spacer to prevent objects from falling on top of the blocks, but this will get it playing.

The white corners are clear silicone to seal things smooth - it wasn't dry when I took the picture. Goes on white, dries clear.
Upload

And mounted in place
Upload

Drilled the holes
Upload
A bit of silicone to seal the washers tight

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 794
what wire are you using?

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2038
werrrrrd

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13430
looks very flexible

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 795
Are the positive wires(red) going into the same casing?
And it looks like one of the negative(black) casing fell off.
But yes it looks very good, defffinetly not 12ga.. 10 or bigger.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2107
I'm using tsunami and Q-Power I believe. I've had it around for years and years. It's all translucent and pretty good stuff. I have some RF I might use in some places, but copper wise it's pretty much identical.

Each wire has its own ring terminal, they're just close together.
Each wire has its own casing, though some may not be on all the way.
The wire size is 8 gauge.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 797
Whats the reason you go with 8ga? Does it fit in the amp nicely?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2108
8 gauge seems to fit in everything perfectly. The push terminals on the subs would definitely fit more than 8g, but not 4. The amp terminals fit 8g well too.

Also outside the box from amp to sub looks 'prettier' with the red/black wires than a normal piece of 12g. That's really the only reason. I got it for free for a while there too.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 801
So there is no difference in performance between 12ga & 8ga? - it looks WAY better imo as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2109
From what I understand there is less resistance, so a few watts may be gained. Honestly from directly replacing the wire there's no audible and hardly any measurable difference between 12 and 8g. I don't know but any build I've done with 2000w or more I use 8g speaker wire.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 802
Okay, thank you dude. I'll be using it in my next build :-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1936
i would say 8ga wouldnt come into necessity until your pushing 3000 rms @ 1 ohm through it. Thats 55 amps of current. Of course if its only a 2 ft long wire you could probably get by fine with 12.

Im going to be upgrading to 8ga myself once i get my other amp installed. I might just run wires direct off each coil to the outside of the box tho, which will give me more wiring options which in that case i will stick with 12 inside the box and run 8 from the box to the amps and for jumpers between terminals.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2110
That's exactly what I did with my box for the 4 18s- it had 16 bolts. I never had to pull a sub out to rewire things. I spaced the bolts like 2 inches apart of something and made short jumpers.

2 ohms/10,000 watts means 141 volts and 70+ amps going through one set of wires, so I guess there's a benefit to larger wire at that point. I'm running like 1 foot from amp to box so I don't know how much of a problem there would really be.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1938
yea its nice having options but i like to use brass bolts, washers and nuts for terminal lugs due to their copper content and they arent cheap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2111
It's up and running! It's only 4 ohms, but it's great to have bass.

Taking the kids out:
Upload

Bracing
Upload

Final Vacuum job. Made sure things were nice and clean in there.
Upload

Wiring up the sub
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

You know the commercials with the happy/sad faces visible in different objects? Here's one for you :-)
Upload

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2040
lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
lol nice man. badass amp.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2269
looks awsome!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2112
Anyone want to help embed these?

Small bag trick -no tuning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h34I9Up4Ln8

Flex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UH26GruEoE

While driving so short, but the dash is moving a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCBEXJH1K5E

No tuning or anything, just hooked the amp up and made sure it was working. It's louder than the 2 18" BTLs on 2 ohms. I'm really happy with the factory alternator keeping things around 13v.

My overall impression of the subs: these things are worth every penny. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and on the way home Devildriver was sounding great. Nice crisp drums without much 'bassy' sound. Not an SQ sub, but I was told "it sounds much better than your last few setups" by more than one.

That's not broken in with like 1/2 hour play time, so there's a lot more tuning and electrical work to go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1354

Gold Member

Post Number: 2113
You = saint.

I should read up on how to embed youtube vids since their links don't work.

I plan on making more vids tomorrow, I just ran out of time and day light.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

Sorry, I have a new 20...

Post Number: 1543
that poor tahoe. its toast when it goes down to 1U.

Looks fantastic

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2619
this makes me want an suv so bad but gas is so fucked up and expensive

Gold Member

Post Number: 2114
Thanks!

Yeah, I probably put $250-300 a month in my truck with no problem. So worth it though. I grew up driving vans and large Cadillacs, smaller cars are great for somethings like gas mileage. But if I can't carry as much as I want to the destination it does me no good anyway.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1945
your truck is sick btw. and i love how the hatch moves more than the woofers haha.

are you going to run this at 1ohm!?!?!?! thats going to be well over 10k rms i would imagine. dont those amps make 10k ar 2 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2958
Reppin in the best buy parking lot! Woot woot! (i work at best buy lol)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15982
sh1t is moving alot of air & its not fully powered as yet ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
LOL nice!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1357
It tells you how to embed in the formatting tips. And how to do all kinds of cool stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2115
I have some pics and vids I'm formatting, I'll be done around the time the baby goes to sleep

Anyway, I had a chance to clamp the amp today and see how much power I'm getting. Rovin, you are so right about no where near the potential power here.

I wont go into specifics because the argument comes up that I don't have an O-scope and it might be a clipped signal. My rise went from 2.7ish ohms, to around 12 ohms from 30hz up to 46 hz (I stopped testing at that point).

Output with the signal I'm giving them is testing around 2000 watts very flat, I didn't even do most of the math because they were extremely similar #s (example 14.2 amps vs 14.1 amps). No wonder my voltage isn't dropping too bad lol.

I just can't believe the output with that little power. Pics/vids in a bit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2116
There's just no way to make that much wire in that small a place look super clean. It's just too cramped an area, with no where to hide anything.
Upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkGOpNSWJHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLb-KSpFJk

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
i'd say that looks pretty damm clean for how much wire you do have. It could be a helluvalot worse lol

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5195
Man, You always have over the top installs. Good stuff Troy.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22157

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1947
looks like sh1t! lol jp man looks pretty nice but maybe you could put a panel over everything if you dont want to see it.

Im sure when the seat is folded up its looks perfect tho.

Silver Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 120
Troy you didnt bother breaking them in properly first?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4300
^^^^ ???

he's barely putting any power to em.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
ok ya i see didnt realize that he was running 4ohm total so hes basicaly hes running under rms on each sub at about 2000w each right?

lol its just im not used to seeing that much power :D

Gold Member

Post Number: 2117
The seat covers everything fine. Once I get things powered up all the way I'll pull the box out and either re-do it, or just make it look good. Either way I haven't started making things look nice yet, I want it to look clean from the back side too.

They're breaking in, they've loosened up visibly already. Unfortunately they're getting less than rms by quite a bit. I consider this the break in time :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Ya but from what i see, before you actually put the juice to them, youll probably need to reinforce your truck because already the flex is insane, im scared to see after break in and running at 1ohm or 2 ohm might actually damage your truck lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4303
Dude, his last setup was 4-18" btl's and 4 memphis 4 k's. It'll be iiaght. Lol

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1948
haha i was totally just kidding about the cleanliness. I think it looks great especially for 8 runs of wire and how tight of a spot that is where it all comes together. and like you said with the seat up you cant see anything

only thing i see changing is covering the box but other than that i wouldnt change a thing.

those 4 batts and stock alt seem to hold up pretty well to running 4-5krms. Just a testament to how good the xs d3100 batteries actually are. Wish i could afford them :\ id be interested to see how less of them would hold up with the stock alt tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1362

Gold Member

Post Number: 2118
Thanks.

Alternators arrived today :-)

4 220a Iraggi's with Quad bracket. Satin black.

Upload
Upload
Upload
UploadUpload
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15997
wow

thats alot of juice ! ...

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3441
Why did you end up going back to Irragi?

I thought you had a poor experience with your 300 amp one.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13490
Nice thats what I call alt power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2120
I told him (and many others) about the issues I had with him before. A few months back I noticed he really started picking up in the c/s department. People were leaving nothing but positive feedback, etc etc.

He sent me an email offering to help make things right. Long story short he hooked me up, he's been responding promptly to emails and pms, and the product he sent me this time looks flawless. Only time will tell, I can't wait to test the alts, but I'm 100x happier this time around with the overall experience.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1364
The economy must be on the up and up, at least for some of us lol.

I cant even describe the amount of jealously this build log is filling me with. lmao

MADD PROPS!

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2283
amazing!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1964
you think you could do me a favor and see how your voltage sits using just 2 of the d3100's before you put the alts in? Im just curious to see how it does

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13530
Mark are you thinking of going 6 k???

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1965
yea

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13532
uh oh

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1966
^^^ why uh oh?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13533
thats some serious power you must be planning a serious build

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1967
I meani thought my last build was serious haha.

Im looking to run a pair 12" of t2000's I just want to see how many more batteries im gonna need. Im thinking 2 but if i could get by with one more i would be stoked since it will all fit in my spare tire well. I might get one more, see how it does and if i need more then upgrade the battery under the hood and run another run of 1/0. i only have one run for + and - and a piece of 4 for + and grounded to the body so adding another set of runs for +and - might help me out some. If i still need more ill bite the bullet and throw another in the trunk somewhere good thing is it dosnt need to be a spv70 since it wont fit on my buss bars anyways, even tho spv70's are dirt cheap.

Im not going to have money for the t2000's until late this summer so im going to run a 15" btl on 4k for a while.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13536
running that kind of power you will definitely gain by more power and ground runs

Gold Member

Post Number: 2121
x2
I feel like I'm cutting it close with 8 total runs, I'd like to have at least 10.

I have an Iraggi quad bracket I just received, but I'm not 100% sure I want to use it. No disrespect to his product, I want to try to make my own. I just want to do it a bit differently than others I've seen, if it works great, if not I have one to fall back on.

Anyone considering making their own bracket that doesn't have a welder or means of cutting 1/2" steel - don't think you're saving money going this way instead of buying one lol.

1/2" wood mockup to have machined. It's pretty obvious how the alts fit. It bolts to the engine block in 4 locations so it should be very solid.
Upload

I bought these pulleys some time ago, just factory replacements for my vehicle.
Upload

NO ONE had spacers for these pulleys other then the dealership- and at $60 each they weren't worth it. I stopped by a local car crushing place that let me pull them for free. Otherwise having them machined would have been expensive.
Upload

Factory spacers with factory pulleys should be solid I figure.
Upload

Hopefully I'll get to test this on the truck before long, I want to get this machined out soon. Another benefit to this design is you can run 2, 3, or 4 alts depending on pulley location. Criticism welcome.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3061
... 4?!

heyzus...

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 271
troy you need to have a youtube channel.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1968
quote sean "running that kind of power you will definitely gain by more power and ground runs"

yea i hope so but my alt is only 200 amps (120 idle) so most of the current would be coming from the bank of batts in the back.

I have always wondered if it would be worth it to run another set of + and - considering the one set is more than enough for just 200 amps to charge everything up, might help my hold 14 volts better though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
The only way it would help is if your cable would be limiting the amount of current going to your batteries presently, if they're not than it wont make a difference, current always travels the way which there is less resistance therefore the best thing to do is measure the current coming out of the alternators and see if you really are getting the current you need if so no more cables if not at add what is needed.

It wont "help my hold 14 volts better though" because the voltage fluctuates only if it cannot sustain the 200 amps properly, this is why at idle your current drops to 120 amps so that the voltage will stay at 12 volts, so adding another cable wont help with the voltage. Thats why when lights dim its not a capacitor that will help its the alternator.
I use a cap sustain the voltage, lol dont have room for 4 batteries :P

If your confused by my previous statement. The battery is what sustains your voltage, if there is enough current going to your battery than your voltage will stay at 14, if the current drops your voltage will constantly fluctuate.

Grounds help alot because they help "pull" the current from your sources but if your power and ground lines are good for what you need adding wont help.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3761
Big subs...

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13546
i was talking when you run 6k

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1971
ken i think you might have current and voltage confused. I agree with you first paragraph but nothing else. Current only drops when there is no current being drawn. If you have a device drawing current it will continue to do so until it is turned off of the electrical system dies or the device fails due to low voltage input. When your voltage drops due to a device that device requires more current (since the voltage is no longer there) to sustain the same level of power output (P=IV) from the device this is why low voltage kills amps, they are drawing more current than they can handle internally and things begin to fry.

i disagree with what you said about the alt dropping to 120 amps at idle due to it trying to maintain 12 volts, because the point of an alternator is to produce higher voltage than the batteries other wise they would never charge. The alternator always attempts to produce the same level of voltage, the voltage drops when the current supplied by the alternator is exceeded then the batteries pick up the slack.

the reason it drops to 120 at idle is because the alternator is not spinning as fast as it needs to in order to maintain 200 amps. there is an upper limit too though, most alts do max power at ~2000 rpms which is a cruising rpm for most cars.

I was saying it would help me hold 14 volts better since i will have less voltage drop over the length of the wire and thus be closer to 14 volts in the back of the car as well as in the front. Under my hood my dmm reads 14.1 but in the trunk it reads 13.9 due to drop across the wires from front to rear which is due to resistance. Adding a second set of +/- will lower the resistance but im not convinced .2 in voltage will really make much of a difference in my install. I might give it a go though if i can find some cheap welding cable and if i can even fit any more wires in my rocker panel.

btw Troy sorry to jack your thread i will make a new one if i have ne more questions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2124
Not at all, I'm glad you corrected what was said without me having to type that much :-)

Is that a .2 drop with no current draw, or at full tilt mark? I would test full tilt if not because when I had .1-.2v drop from front to back at idle it was substantial when at full volume.

It was supposed to rain today so I didn't test fit the bracket, then it never rained. Hopefully I'll get this tested out before the weekend so I can have it machined quick.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
I understand mark the only thing though is that how is what i said

"It wont "help my hold 14 volts better though" because the voltage fluctuates only if it cannot sustain the 200 amps properly"

different from

"The alternator always attempts to produce the same level of voltage, the voltage drops when the current supplied by the alternator is exceeded then the batteries pick up the slack."

because it's almost like were saying the same thing just differently, because i agree with your statements

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1974
thats with no draw just due to resistance in the wires. Thats good to know though i might go ahead and add the runs then. I have the wire to go from front to back but i dont think i have enough to double up my big 3.

I drop all the way into the 12's at full tilt while idling, probably like 12.2-12.5 i cant remember off hand though but my spv70's dont let it into the 11's so im fine with that for now, if i were dropping into the 11's i would have bought another battery already. i only have a 200 amp alt (largest one i could afford and has lifetime warranty) and this was when I was running my 3k @ .55 ohm so it was drawing some pretty heavy current definitely more than 200 amps. Never managed to blow the 300 amp fuse i have running to it though....

Im pretty positive im going to need at least (hopefully at most) one more spv 70 once I put the other 3k in i only have 2 right now and a stocker thats pretty much shot up front.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
"Is that a .2 drop with no current draw, or at full tilt mark? I would test full tilt if not because when I had .1-.2v drop from front to back at idle it was substantial when at full volume. "

How are you planning on fixing this troy with the 4 alts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Hey Mark what kind of wire are you running?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2125
Ken this was a long time ago with 4kw on 1 factory alt, 1 or 2 runs of 1/0 and 2 batteries.

Now it's been the same front/back simultaneously for a while. I'll test it once it's all hooked up though. Ever since I added the D3100s my voltage has been really good overall.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1975
ken i guess by holding 14 volts all i mean is that i will lose less voltage across the runs from front to rear if i add another set. There is always voltage drop across any resistive component even if you have 5 rund of 4/0 there will still be a voltage drop it will just be very small.

it probably dosnt help that my runs from my alt to the back are 20' long either.

but anyways im running all different kinds of wire. I got some mobile spec, elemental designs, knu klmx, and some welding cable.

out of all of it the welding cable is the nicest imo. its the most flexible, pure ofc and it is just plain cheap although i got all the other wire for good prices too. All of the wire is pretty much the same dia.

one of the problems im having for sure is the fact that my one run for (-) is 2 pieces soldered together using an adapter (i did not have a straight run that was long enough at the time)

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
I know it might not be ideal, and its not very flexible, have you guys ever thought of using high voltage cable, like the ones that are used for airconditioning and heating units?

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
another option since your adding alts anyways is to maybe install a 16 volt alternator, use a regulator set it to 14.4 and connect everything just off of that, it would be like running a seperate battery and charger from the stock electrical system

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
If you dont mind me asking troy, how much you get each iraggi for troy?

For the bracket you had to ask him for it specifically for your model car?

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 810
Lookin' good Troy, i feel sorry for your gas mileage tho! keep up the good work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2126
I thought about doing a 16v setup, but honestly I don't want to do it. I will leave that option open, but some competitions would put me in classes with some hard core bstards.

The bracket I got from Iraggi was specific for my vehicle, as well as the alts. I don't really want to discuss pricing. He did what he said he would, things showed up in great shape, and his price was more than fair if the product holds up. If you're considering multiple alts and have the same vehicle shoot me an email, it's my username- at - yahoo.com.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
I didnt realize that they actually seperate according to voltages, i thought most comps were only amplifier power based, at least if I remember correctly iasca seperates according to power.

"but some competitions would put me in classes with some hard core bstards."

Lol how much more hardcore can there be :p

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1979
^^^ seriously. this build is pretty beastly.

as long as your in a no wall class i think you would be one of the top dogs at least for street beat.

I honestly dont even care about anything other than street beat and bassrace and other music based events, burping is lame and pointless imo. If you cant get loud playing music then fu ck it, granted lots o fthese guys are just picking some gucci songs that play the same note over and over continuously at least its holding up for 30 seconds.

only burps im concerned with are at 35 hz and below. If you can burp 155's at 30 hz that would impress me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2127
I just want to bassrace 149.9. As long as I'm competitive in that class I'll be happy.
I think my charging system will determine things in the end.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1980
i think your charging system is overkill honestly. at least for 10k. dual 300 amp alts would be more than plenty with 4 or 5 d3100's

rob woolcot does 149.9 bassrace with 2 10's, 200 amp alt, 4 or 5 hc2400's and 10k, out of a trunk besides.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2128
Thanks. It won't be 10,000w forever though ;)
If they hold up good like they are I can see at least doubling the power in the future.

I can't stand revving the engine- so I want to keep 14v at full tilt at idle. I'd rather do overkill than have it not keep up like it has in the past.

2 10s in the 49.9 class is awesome work imo.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2043
Over-kill on the alts is a nice thing...leaves plenty of room for upgrades in the future.

However Troy your 8 runs of + and - 1/0 is more than plenty...Average run of OFC 18 ft 1/0 can pass 300 amps easily all day long...thus 4 runs would yield 1200 amps perfectly fine. The only reason you really see more runs from the front to back being added in comp vehicles is if they are only allowed to compete with 1 battery located under the hood.

Mark- one of the problems im having for sure is the fact that my one run for (-) is 2 pieces soldered together using an adapter (i did not have a straight run that was long enough at the time.

More than likely this is why you have a .2 voltage drop.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2044
Oh, and Ken- You just have me a killer head ache :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
"Oh, and Ken- You just have me a killer head ache"

Sorry man didnt mean to do that. My brain is so cluttered I do get confused sometimes so Mark clearing things up helped.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2129
I'm going to upload some progress pics in a little bit, but I installed one alternator for testing.

Non-technical info: looking at my dash voltmeter that is not very reliable I had no voltage drop while driving- while the factory would go down to about 13.5.
At idle there was still a volt drop. It was similar to my factory alt, so I don't know what to say there. I need to clamp it to give exact results. Iraggi says around 700 engine rpm the alts should do around 180 at idle so we'll see when I increase my idle speed.

With so much output from the front I just figure the more copper the less resistance, more can't hurt :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
With so much output from the front I just figure the more copper the less resistance, more can't hurt

True, im just wondering though if too many connections can cause too much resistance it shouldnt but you never know electricity can act funny somtimes

Gold Member

Post Number: 2131
1" nylon rod to make mock-up spacers.
Upload
Upload
Measuring out.
Upload

If you're trying to do something like this the nylon works great. It actually cuts instead of splitting or cracking.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Test fit the bracket- after a bit more trimming I was happy.
Upload

Testing one alt.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Yukhui

4 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 1017
badass i got the new pulley yesterday from mechman after strippeing a serpentine belt on the hwy. runs like a champ now

Gold Member

Post Number: 2134
I didn't notice the first pulley set, what was it like?

Man I know too well about breaking down due to belts :-( It always seems to happen when you're in a hurry or don't want to get dirty. I keep a spare belt and a wrench in the car anymore.

I'd like to see things in action with that bracket of yours.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2147
Bumping this up so it doesn't get buried. I've been working on a build for my cousin - 2 15" IA Leathal Injections in his trunk. Took a few days just to rebuild my 'work shop'. Anyway, it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I'll take a final test fitting pic.

I've had to change my design, I realize that the way the aluminum block is designed for the factory alternator mounting the first pulley starts to pull the belt some. I think there would be less twisting or rubbing issues if I make it a bit different, but I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22327
^^^A true craftsman and connoisseur of the art.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Troy, much respect man. You're a badazz

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2050
Wonder where your cousin got that stuff from :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2151
Vertex :-)

I didn't get to work on my stuff because I was working on my cousins again, but I have a Powermaster VCM on the way :D

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2167
i thought vertex audio straight sold just CDT?

i guess im way wrong...?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2153
Vertex sells a whole lot more, I would email or call to find out what isn't listed on the website until it's updated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2160
UPS dropped off the final package for a while

Upload
Upload
Upload

Powermaster voltage control module. It will wire up all the alts, and allows the user to adjust the voltage from their drivers seat, from 10-20 volts.
Like a mix between an external regulator, MLA module, and a digital voltmeter.
Going to shoot for Monday to drop the bracket off to get machined as long as I get the final bugs worked out.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

United States

Post Number: 2203
Very Nice!

Troy - do you have AIM or anything? I'm trying to get ahold of some people in the SC/GA area.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2167
No I sure don't, but if you email me at my username(tejcurrent) at yahoo.com I respond quickly since it goes to my phone if it doesn't get caught up in bulk.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

United States

Post Number: 2211
Alright. I sent you an email.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22405
Don't you love the sound of the delivery truck?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2177
I do.

I've been trying to find a center console that will work, but I cant locally. I'm hoping I can in a junk yard within an hour or so of here since I'm not willing to chop my factory stuff so when I sell I can put things back.

I got tired of the road noise from my front tires and had a spare gallon of Second Skin Spectrum laying around. I removed the front fender well covers and coated them in 4 coats on the inside, 2 on the outside. Then I put 5 coats on the fender itself. I still had enough to put 2 coats on the visible frame going down the side of the vehicle - since I removed my side steps.

Then I realized it looked terrible without the factory covers on my tailgate, so put 2 layers of primer and 2 layers of spectrum on the inside of them. I already have probably a dozen cans of expanding foam in the tailgate so I don't think I can deaden it any more, but at least I shouldn't have any plastic scraping or rattling from those covers.

It rained about an hour later, so I didn't put anything back together- and honestly even with a fan running things didn't dry enough.

It was too crappy to get good pics of everything so I'll upload tomorrow.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2180
Stripping the tire wells down and cleaning everything.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Primed and coated the panels.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload

Treated the frame
Upload

And wiring the subs down from 4 to 1 ohm :-)
Upload

I was really worried this would work. The amp is rated 2 ohms, I'm now running .7- or .35 per board. Scares me a bit, but like 15 minutes straight and everything was ice cold. More pics as work is done.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 321
hahaha now start the random nom nom nom box pix's nice work as all ways troy.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13746
lookin good

Bronze Member
Username: Gutteer

Post Number: 73
i wanna see this thing completed gonna be sweet

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16109
looks funny with u inside that box ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2182
That was actually Austin (not on this forum), I did 1/2-3/4 of the wiring, but he did the crappy parts :-)

It's so nice to have a skinny friend, I'm not fat but after 5-10 minutes of wiring in that port you really feel like it's eating your azz lol.

If anyone was wondering the amp is handling things fine so far, it's at .35ohms per board, but after rise I'm going to guess about 1.5 ohms per board. I just adjusted things to be as loud as they were before, keeping the voltage in the 13+ range

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2350
sweet mother of gawd.

FKING MOAR!!!!!

Troy is the shiz! Be my friend plz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2194
I still wasn't happy with the bracket, so I made it 2 1/4 inch plates. I want to re-do the pulley placement, which I'll get pics of this weekend.

Also got some dash parts- I'm doing a double din in-dash that I need a few modifications to fit, and glassing in the VCM.

The bracket
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

The center console
Upload

Pics of the dash when I paint it and chop the parts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2195
Just realized I didn't specify- I purchased a new center console insert and dash bezel so I can chop, glass, vinyl, paint, and do whatever to them and just trash them if I'm not happy with the results. Took forever to find the dash though (not pictured) so it's not going anywhere but on the car.

Also you'll notice the front bracket is longer on the right than the back, that's so it can be rolled in a 90 for a bit more sturdiness, though I doubt it'll need it. There's one point I'm going to see about welding a small section of steel tubing to inside between the alts to make a very strong bracket.

It'll look much better in steel, anyone with a 5.3 v8 looking for a dual/triple/quad bracket I might be making several of these, and some dual/triple for fun.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2200
I didn't get to try things today- I sanded and stained my kids room, then went shooting. I had a guy pull a gun on me this week, so it seemed to make more sense to work on my aim than my car.

Hopefully do work tomorrow, though I'll probably end up putting the polyurethane on the kids room.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 511
Is that a meter that shows your voltage to you inside your car? My car doesn't have a voltage meter on the dash, I'd like to get one so I can see my voltage without having to look in the trunk or hook up to my battery. Any idea what one of those are called?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2201
Check ebay for voltage meters. What you're talking about is this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-Digital-BLUE-Voltage-Meter-car-audio-Amplifier_W0QQi temZ260584880254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cac11b87e#ht_161 1wt_1165

That does show the voltage, but it is much more than a voltage meter. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67679-vcms-ready-to-go/

This Powermaster Voltage Control Module allows you to set your voltage. My truck idles slow, and my idle voltage is 13.8 from the factory. With this module I can increase my voltage whenever I want. Also it will allow me to run multiple alternators without hard wiring harnesses.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4300
looking great troy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us