Sugguestions on a new system please. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Cod1989

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 19
Hello, I haven't been on here in awhile but I was wondering if you all could help me out with some choices I have to make concerning a new system. I previously had 2x alpine type s' in a sealed box running off a power accoustic 750w max amp and they sounded ok. But unfortunately I crashed my car and now i'm hoping to upgrade, i'm looking for alot more SPL i'm just hoping I get some decent SQ also.
But here is what I have in mind and the questions that follow;

Fi Bl 12" or Fi Bl 15" whichever I choose will be d2, it will be a daily driver, flatwound with the cooling package which includes the hyper pole. I was going to go with the 12" but if possible would I be able to run the 15" using a stock electrical system?

I have heard AQ is good for amps so I figured I would grab the AQ1200d, will either of these subs be underpowered with this amp? Should I go with a bigger amp? And if so, which amp?

I will go with a ported box, I heard 2.4 cuFt. tuned to 32-34hz is good for the 12" but i'm not sure about the 15". Any suggestions?

I'll grab a basic jvc indash also.

I should use 0 gauge wiring with this setup correct?

I haven't bought the car I'll be bumping in yet but will this be a nice system when all is said and done?

Thanks to anyone who replys. :]

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 246
the 15 has the same RMS as the 12

you should be happy with the AQ1200d

for the 15, 3-5 cuft

and using 0ga can't hurt

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 249
The size sub doesn't effect your car's electrical system. The amp is what will be pulling off of your alternator. 1200 rms is about tops give or take you want to be pulling off of your electrical system. It is also important to have your gain set correctly on your amp. For what you're looking for I would say the Fi BL would be a good choice. It is important to have a nice enclosure built to meet your expectations for the sub as well. For the AQ1200D 4 guage wire would be fine. You could run 0 guage from the front to a distribution block if you wanted and then run 4 guage from there, but it isn't needed. As far as a head unit, it is your own preference, I would recommend one that had 4 volt sub pre outs however.

Bronze Member

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 20
Ok, thanks for the input. Will it make a difference if I use the 15" or the 12" with the AQ1200D amp? Or will it pretty much sound the same? Because if 1200 is about the max for a stock electrical system then that's probably all I will be working with. I doubt I will upgrade any of the big 3.

Thanks Smith for the box size. And thanks Shawn, I'll get a head unit with 4 volt sub pre outs.

So if the AQ1200D is the highest i'm going, will the 12" bl suffice or would the 15" make a difference at all with that amp?
And also how should I wire this all to get the best preformance?

Thanks again. :-)

Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 6
well the 15 will get you more spl.. but its all about the box.. you want to make sure you build the box to specs, or maybe even a little bit bigger.. but whatever sub you use you will want a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub so you can run it in parallel to get the most out of that amp..

but i really dont think you can run 1200 watts on a stock electrical.. especially with that amp.. you would have to use 0 ga wire, do the big 3, upgrade alternator, and add a second battery..
and if you are running 1200 watts of bass what type of speakers are you using? You will probably want some decent speakers and probably powered by an amp. unless you dont care about sound quality and just want bass..
but i really cant see how a headunit could really power speakers and sound good as most head units push out about 17 watts rms

its all up to you. but if you do want to upgrade your speakers i have some nice dls 6x9s im selling.. dls is a good company and will definitely improve the sound quality, but if you just want to worry about bass thats fine too.
but if your interested email me at codywruck@live.com and we can figure something out

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 250
I also agree that the enclosure makes all the difference. If you do want more SPL I second going with the 15 as long as you have the room. A 15" sub is going to require a larger box than a 12". If you don't want to take up all of your trunk space don't be afraid of running one 12. I have a single 12 in my car on 500 rms and it gets plenty loud. Having a 12 on ~1200 rms should slam no doubt about it. I feel you should be ok running the aq1200d on your car as is. Upgrading things are always a plus but I don't think theyre absolutely neccesary in your case. If you notice any power issues like lights dimming or something along those lines then I'd worry about it. You can always do upgrades later on as you get the money.

Bronze Member

Allen Park, MI USA

Post Number: 21
Sounds good. I think I will go with a 12 for now then, I'm sure it will be fine. I've just never had a 15 before and wanted to see how that is also but If I feel the need I could always sell the 12 and box for a 15 and box I suppose. :-)

Now let's see, I should have everything down;

A 12" Fi Bl fully loaded in a ported box 2.4cuFt.(maybe a little bigger) tuned to 34 hz or so seems good.
AQ1200D Amp
Anywhere from 4 to 0 gauge wire and run it parallel to get the most out of the amp.
And also get a headunit with 4 volt sub pre-outs.

If that's all I should be looking at then I guess this thread is closed :-)
If that's the case then thank you all for your input! and if not let me know what else I should be looking at. :p
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us