Let's talk abut table saw fences

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2941
I hate the rip fence on my table saw, it's often up to a 1/4" off and im sick of measuring before and after the blade every time I move it

So what kind of fence do you box builders like or recommend? anything you would definitely avoid?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22054
What kind of saw? Is it the run of the mill 10" Craftsman table saw or similar? Most of the entry level saws have inaccurate fences but shouldn't be 1/4" off, that's bad. Are you kind to it? Meaning do you adjust the fence carefully or do you knock it into place with a hammer lol?

Also most saws and their fences are preset to accommodate average width blades. If you install a blade with a wider kerf then the fence gauge will be off as well. Ditto for dado blades obviously.

I'm not sure if they make replacement fences that will fit most saws. You'd have to look on the manufacturer's website. Again it will do you no good if the problem is a warped blade or misaligned motor housing.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2942
It is a run of the mill craftsman 10". And no I dont beat the fence into place with a hammer haha. The fence i currently have doesn't slide very smooth no matter how much I loosen it (the lock mechanism has a screw type handle, not a clamp). What I mean by 1/4" is from the distance between the front of blade and the fence as compared to the back of the blade and the fence. Once i measure both distances and lock the fence the cut tolerance is pretty good.

It looks just like this one, with the black plastic handle

http://http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/craftsman-rip-fence-113-298142.html

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15943
i too have a entry level 10" craftsman i bought 6yrs ago

rip fence is ok but u have to double check & make sure when u clamp it that its parallel

not the best quality though but its works

mine needs a new bearing since sawdust has gotten into it & it doenst spin as fast as b4

if ur often going to be doing alot of work then u need 1 of those better heavy duty more accurate brands which cost ALOT more & u need to build a supporting table surface around it to rip larger pieces\sheets of wood ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22056
Yeah those table top models, which I have as well, aren't built for cutting large pieces. The fence will only give you what, a 20" piece at best? They're great for ripping 1X material and such but go try and rip a 2X, the motor just doesn't like it. Sears sells many full size table saws in the $300-$500 range. I only wish my shop was big enough for one. This one with table extension is $200.

Upload

A large base is key too. Anyone using these long enough knows how annoying it is when the whole table lifts when pushing wood through it.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5318
Make your own fence :-) I made my own table saw a year ago and I am currently going to make my own fence. Just a couple bar bearings and some aluminum and your good to go :-) I will have a build log in a couple months of how I did it. I might start selling them too, as there is many people who make their own table saw (easy) and need a simple fence.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22058
Due to lack of proper space in my workshop I had to build my workbench around my table saw. Many do this. The saw is secured to the ground via concrete anchors as well as the bench. If I ever need a sheet good cut I use a large bar clamp as my fence. Clamp gets secured to the bench and away I go. The key is to assure the saw is aligned with the bench. It can be a pain sometimes to get the clamp right but when space is limited..........

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5183
In the past, Ive secured a large piece of ply to my saw to make the top bigger. Then say I needed to rip a 16" piece, or what ever size, Up to 43", I would use a square to make a line at say 16" from the blade, Then screw a straight edge down to the ply, Then that would be a true, square 16" cut.
A bit long in the set up, But for making a single box, its worth the time investment.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 245
you could just clamp it down too

p.s. i'm so glad my dad is a carpenter and he has a huge shop i can take advantage of lol

Bronze Member
Username: Alien_audio

Florence, AL

Post Number: 12
I have a 10" craftsman too and I have to measure the fence every time. Its really annoying
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us