I Can't Find The Drum Beat

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 162
It seems that I have excess bass from the electric guitar and a shortage of bass from the drum. I've been listening to another stereo and noticed that mine is definatly missing the punch of the kick drum.

I'm sure my equiptment is not the best, but I'm sure there is a way to reduce electric guitar and boost the drum.

My HU is a Clarion DXZ785USB, I believe it is a decent HU but I can't seem to figure out where to set the settings to make the proper adjustment. Also I have the SUB-Sonic turned on on my zx750 and the crossover setting around 50, the gain a little beyond half.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 233
Hmm... I'm no expert on amps, but i would think you could tune the low pass on your amp differently to get rid of the guitar bass

i hope that was almost helpful lol

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 163
Well, it seems almost like I'm filtering out the wrong frequency. I under stand electronics somewhat, and a little about frequency. But I seem to be unable to understand and master the controls.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 234
i know i have a couple songs where it seems like the drums and the guitar bass are kinda competing for the same frequency, but i don't listen to them enough to start trying to tune my amp differently.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/musical-instruments/32205-bass-guitar-frequency-r ange.html
this says that a bass guitar can go down to like 31Hz, so maybe my theory about competing for low notes could be right...

or i could be totally wrong

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 164
I "think" the kick drum is 80-120 hertz which makes me think I need to be playing more with the mids than the subs. But my midrange speakers will not put out enough bass to hit you in the chest, thats what the subs are for right? But it seems no matter what I do the guitar comes off stronger.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10947
You are lacking midbass... very common problem and a hard one to fix. Do you have good component speakers with an amp? Are your doors sound deadened. You need all that.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 165
The amp is a zx350.4 and I have KS6930's in the front doors and the rear has KS680's. I know I know... they are not great speakers but thats what I have to work with.

I have not sound deadened anything, could someone give me some info on that?

I know it makes things more difficult but I don't want to spend any money on it, at least not more than a few bucks. However... time is something I do have.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 238
The amp's filter is on low pass right? Set the filter to around 80 Hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 99
Are you using a seperate eq or the eq built in to the hud because if you really want to increase your midbass you might want to look into getting a sound processor. Also if your lacking midbass you might want to try and go with a tree way setup for your speakers the easiest way would be do set the front so that you get 500-20000hz the back maybe 80-500hz and the sub the reast. WIth what you have there i agree that most probably you have competing sounds and you probably wont be able to split up the sounds with the current setup. Just to give you an idea, my setup i am running a 3 way setup in front where my midbass' are runnig off of 2 channels and my tweets and midrange are running off of my other 2 channels which allows me seperate the frequencies properly with the processor

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10949
Take it easy there... EQs, processors, none of that crap is going to fix the problem.

If your speakers suck (kickers do) then you need better speakers. A good component set. You do have a good amp already, bridge it to two channel and you get plenty of power, rears dont need to be ampd, rears dont even need to exist for that matter. And pretty much just cover the door with a few layers of sound deadener. Makes a lot of difference once you have good speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5316
^^ agreed. Better speakers are needed in this situation

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Lol let me clarify what i meant, first i asked him if he was using an eq cause if he is he could try and fix it with that. Second he could try and play with his amp settings and i gave him an example of the settings he could try, i never said he could fix it by buying a processor all i was saying was he could TRY IF he has one already. But I know that he probably has no choice but to change speakers, it was to give him other options if they were available before changing speakers.

But silver what are you using this setup for? competition?

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 166
This is my daily driver & Chick magnet. I think the way I have it it sounds "good" but I always want better. I'm going to be in an endless cycle of always wanting something better, however I've reached the limit on $ for the next several months.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2078
+1, work on your mids/front doors.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 167
Just had a thought... what about building something of a box to put behind the 6x9s in the doors. I know it would be a lot of work but would that not improve the response of the mids?

If so how much volume would the enclosure need?

And though I've heard people say kicker speakers suck... I would like to know what sets them appart from another brand. I can see where the amplifiers may have differences, they can be rather complex, but a speaker... the way I see it is a coil of wire, a cone, and a magnet eleaborately connected.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10951
You've got that backwards... there is no sound difference between amplifiers, they all have minimal distortion, only power output varies..... differences in sound is all in the speakers.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 168
Ok. Can you please explain the details of this. Given that the speakers we are comparing are of the same size, ohm value, and the same wattage.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1920
raise your low pass to 80 hz. if that dont solve it deaden your doors and seal your panels as good as possible. if that dosnt work you need new mids.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10952
I can't give you the details of why one speaker sounds better than another. But that is where the difference is.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 169
I would really like to know. I can understand differences due to the material the cone is made of and differences in the material that holds the cone to the basket but I cannot figure how there could be much difference beyond that nor that those differences would be all that significant to a human ear.

When I think of a speaker I think of a coil of wire connected to the cone, as the polarity of the wire changes the wire becomes attracted to one end or the other of the magnet. Now there is another thing that could change, the strength of the magnet. However, I would figure that once you get into a certin level of speaker, one say capable of handling 50 watts rms at a 4 ohm load you would notice minimal differences between one brand and another.

Perhaps someone could reccomend a decent mid level speaker. One known for produceing good midbass. Then we could compare characteristics of that speaker to say.. one of kickers disliked models of similar wattage and size. Maybe that would help to point out where the difference comes in.

I don't want to start arguements here nor disprove any theories, but this is something I would like to know more about, perhaps it could benefit many others as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
For a decent midbass you would generally go with a smallm subwoofer like 5 or 6" now. The question you asked about the speakers is understandable but cannot be determined by looking at statistics, the basic reason for this is not everybody will use the same magnets, coils, cones. Now you cannot judge two speakers by know the type of cone because the difference is not only electrical but also mechanical. Why are there 2 amps which are supposed to provide the same power output, and yet one will be underrated and the other overrated? Its the basic design, a speaker may seem like a very symbol thing but in reality it isnt. You mentioned the coil, well the coils can have a different guague, can be have different lengths, number of winds. The magnet, different strength, weight,, the cone different materials, combination of materials. Than you have patented designs, some have rounder cones some are flat so with all these little differences you can have 2 speakers which can look the same feel the sam and weigh the same, have the same electrical properties and sound completely different. This is why you have sound engineers because it is very complex.

I hope this answers part of your question.

Now for the midbass im using focal 5ws midbass which are 5ohm and have a frequency response of 45 Hz - 2.5 kHz which are not loud until i have set the amp to power them properly. Just these midbasses go for about 400$ brand new. These replaced the original type-x midbass from my 3way setup that i already had and was good upgrade. Now you dont have to get these to get good midbass but what im trying to tell you is that good midbass is difficult for everyone and unless your willing to spend a 200-300$ on new fronts and amplify them properly you will have a hard time getting good midbass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us