Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 vs 12" Cerwin Vega Vmax 12"

Username: Jtb

Post Number: 1
I was wondering if the kappa perfects are better or the vmax. I am looking for both good SPL and SQ (sql)? I only want to spend about $300 for both subs, and I have found some new Kappa Perfects for $100 each on Ebay, and a Vmax for $100 also.

I am also going to buy a kicker KX amp for the subs. How does this sound?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 766
a kicker kx600.1 would do great things with either set of subs

i would probably say the cerwin vegas over the infinity's

infinity makes a fine subwoofer, but cerwin vega has an awesome reputation, and also makes a fine subwoofer - ask glasswolf :-)

Post Number: 4
Thanks for help, but should I maybe go with adire shivas instead of cerwin vegas? Im looking for a little put better SQ than SPL, but I still want some boom. The website says that they are 650rms each. So could I run those with a kicker kx850.2, which is 425x2 @ 2ohms?

I know I won't be getting the full 650 rms to each of the speakers but I can't afford anything with more wattage, unless somebody knows of a good 1000-1200 rms amp under $400.

Again, Thanks!

Silver Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 767
you're gonna have to get a mono amp cuz each shiva is dual 8 ohm, not 4 so you'll get an impedance of 4 ohms per woofer - jbl BP1200.1 would be a great matchup for two shivas wired paralell

Post Number: 5
I have little knowledge about wiring and installing speakers, so do you mean I will need to buy TWO of the jbl 1200.1, one for each sub?

And is the JBL amp as good as Kicker? I have seen the JBL 1200.1 on ebay for $240.00 new, but the kicker 1200.1 is more like $450-500 new.

Would is just be better to get the VMAX's and a 2 channel amp?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 608
No. The subs will be 4 ohms each after the coils are wired in parallel, with two it will present a 2 ohm load on a mono amp, but only 4 ohms to each channel if you're running a 2 channel. Those Shiva's don't need the full 650 RMS to reach full excursion, 300-400 will do it, the 650 rating is thermal. JBL 600.1 or 1200.1 (depending on the box) will do well.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 610
Also, no the JBL isn't as good as a Kicker, overlooked that. V-maxes are great subs, a toss up with the Shiva, you can't go wrong with either.

Silver Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 772
yes but the JBL is more appropriate for the shivas, since you can onyl get a 2ohm load off 2 shivas, and the kx1200.1 pumps out 1200w rms ONLY at 1 ohm whereas the bp1200.1 puts out 1200w rms at 2 and 1 ohms

the JBL is a better choice with shivas
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us