Can I drive a subwoofer straight from my head's "sub" output?

Username: Fooledbyramen

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony Xplod CDX-F5700 Head Unit, and I just was given (yes that's right, free stuff is always good) a Sony Xplod 12" subwoofer. I think its an XS-L1230, just from looking at it. The head unit has a "sub" out on it, and, until I buy an amp for it, I wondered if I could just hook it straight up to that output. I'm pretty new at the whole car audio thing, and I'd rather not break anything, so please let me know your opinions. Also, if someone could recommend a good amp for the sub, keeping in mind that i'm not looking to blow people's heads off with my sub, just add a little warmth to my car, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Unregistered guest
You will need an amp. The sub outs on the head unit are for the RCA cable that will run from the head unit to the amp, than to the sub. I hear that rockford fosgate are good. I have one. but other people may have their amps that they may think is better.

Username: Fooledbyramen

Post Number: 2
Do I need a crossover, too? Or does the head cover that with the sub outs? Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 147
You don't really need a crossover. You just need to get you a good amp. Look here they have some great prices.

www.acaraudio.com

Anonymous

hey are those Alphasonik amps any good? they seem to have a lot of power, but also very expensive.

Bronze Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 69
get a 600 watt pyramid crystal amp for the sony xplod. trust me itll sound nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 48
not sure that was the best response in this forum. Hifonics makes good amps at decent prices thats what im gonna be putting in my car.

http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/index2.html

Username: Kickercomp

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 3
u can run it off the head unit if u wanna give it at most 50 watts

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3593
incorrect.
head units supply about 11 to 22 watts per channel, and aren't designed for running subs.
also the "sub outs" are pre-amp level. no power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us