JL subs, but which size???

Bronze Member
Username: Mac1

Post Number: 18
I'm about too purchase a pair of new subs and its between a pair of 10" JL W7's or pair of 13" JL W7's. I listen to a lot of Heavy metal, Rock, and Rap music so I want something that will respond quickly yet I'm also looking for some bone shattering bass with high spl numbers, which subs should I go with and why? Thanks for your help

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 762
the 13w7's they have amazing response for quick bass and can deliver some incredible amounts of SPL for your rap needs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thanks for the help bacon, so what type of amp should I get to play those two beasts loud? Any amp suggestions? Im lookin at the JL 1000/1 or the Orion 2500.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 576
JL 1000/1's are optimized for W7's, as W7's have a weird 3 ohm impedance, and the JL amp's are regulated. Damn good amps, too. You'll need two 1000/1's for two 13W7's, which will pull a substantial amount of current, over 200 amps, and you'll need a custom alternator to do the job. For a 3db increase, two 13W7's and 2 1000/1's seem a bit much, what I'm saying is just one 13W7 and 1000/1 will probably fit your demands, and there won't be a huge difference since the increase is 3db. That's a VERY expensive 3db.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
well would a pair of 10 W7's be just as loud as 1 13 W7. Also would the 1000/1 run the pair of 10's nicely? And would that pair of 10's with that amp require an alternator upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 231
Get to 10 W7. Quiker response and are plenty loud.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 582
Yes, 2 10W7's would be perfect off a 1000/1. I still think the SPL of one 13W7 would hit a little harder, the surface area of two 10's is barely higher than the 13, but the X-max of the 13W7 is 32mm while the 10's are 23mm. Tens would be a little tighter, though, either would give plenty of SPL. A 1000/1 amp pulls over 100 amps at full output (which you probably won't ever use, but I'll assume that so you'll have some headroom) if you have any other amps for components, assume they pull 50A of current, so I'd get somewhere around a 200 amp alternator for the system. Probably 200. Look at www.mralternator.com

Anonymous

A little off the topic: How about one 10W7 or two 12W3s? You could run either with the 500/1, right?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 584
Yeah, either would work with the 500/1. I like the 10W7 better for SQ purposes. Two W3v2's would take the SPL part, much, much more surface area.

Anonymous

That is not much of an answer. I know each has advantages but which would you choose and why?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 587
I really don't know how much you want me to say, I can't choose your sub for you. Personally, I would choose the 10W7 because it has better sound quality than the W3, it is a lot better in my opinion. The 10W7 is a little tighter, more accurate, in comparison the W3's aren't quite as responsive, but will give you more SPL if that's your goal. The two 12W3's would hit harder, but not by such a considerable amount that it would constitute them being my choice of sub. A 10W7 is better for MY taste, so that's what I would choose. I really recommend you go listen to both and pick your favorite. In the real world, I wouldn't pick either one of them for my vehicle as W7's aren't my cup of tea, I find that there are much better (and cheaper) subs out there to suit my taste. I lean more toward Image Dynamics ID Max, Adire Brahmas and Eclipse Titaniums. JL's have spread around like a plague nowadays, everyone is out to get them because of a name. Notice anyone who doesn't know a whole lot about audio, they'll go by word of mouth and put a W7 at the top of their list without even considering it's competition. They just assume it's the best there is because everyone else makes it out to be.

Anonymous

2 10w7 or 2 13w7
JL 1000/1 or Orion 2500

Now I haven't listened to either sub, but I can vouch for the Orion amp. It's stable down to one ohm (made for HCCA's) and puts out tremendous power. Maybe you should listen to 1 10" HCCA on a 2500 before you decide on the subs.

Orion amps have some very handy features, more buttons and knobs I have a desire to learn about.

BTW don't worry about the 3 ohm problem, wired in parallel, you should get plenty out of the 2500 @ 1.5 ohm to power both W7's

later
Beau
Breeegz -at- cox.net

PS do your own research and listen before you buy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
so basically if i were to do the pair of 10 W7's with the 1000/1 or the one JL 13W7 with the 1000/1 I would have to get a new alternator either way? Also, has anybody used the subzone enclosures made for the W7's? How do they sound in the enclosure?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Could you use two of the single 10" subzone sealed enclosures togethor and have great sound since they dont have a dual 10".

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 241
The subzone enclosure was very well built when I seen it. I've seen one once but it was a great box for the woofer.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 602
The amplifier determines whether you'll need a new alternator or not, not the subs. A JL 1000/1 will pull more current than most stock alternators can put out just by itself (over 100A, the typical alternator of today is around 75-80A), not counting all the accessories the car has to run. Subzone makes very good enclosures, and the W7's do sound nice in them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Alright, well I've decided to go with the pair of 10 W7's and since im a still a newbie to car audio I was wondering if somebody could give me a wiring diagram or a website to show me how to wire the pair of subs up to the JL 1000/1 amp. I would also like to see how you would wire the JL 13W7 up to the 1000/1 if somebody could help me out with that also.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 604
10 W7's are single voice coil 3 ohm subs. All you have to do is hook the positive and negative of each sub to the positive and negative terminal of the amp (both subs will be wired to the same terminal). With a 13W7, it's a dual 1.5 ohm sub, and you wire the coils in series, so there are two voice coils, you hook the positive of the amp to the positive of voice coil 1, then the negative of voice coil 1 to the positive of voice coil two, and then the negative of voice coil two to the amplifier.

Unregistered guest
I have a pair of JL 10w3D6's so they are 6ohm subs and just need to know how to wire them to the amp to make sure I am getting all the power out of them that I can. Also what would be the best amp to get for it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us