Help me decide my new subs

Username: Dhorn

Post Number: 1
So basically I am currently running 2 10" Type-S, had them for about 3 years, and honestly I like them. However, one coil is starting to go out, so I figured I would upgrade to a little more power. Currently I'm running around 600rms, and want to step it up to about 1000-1200rms, and stick with stock electrical. Already running 0 gauge wiring, so it's pretty much gonna be plug and play.

I plan on getting an AQ1200d, unless anyone has a better suggestion...it's been about a year and a half since I have really looked into car audio.

I am looking for 2 10", going in a sealed box with about 0.85 cu ft after sub displacement. I have a 07 eclipse, so I don't have a lot of room. I am staying with my current box, as it was custom built for my trunk. Subs I am considering are:
DD 1500 (would have the lowest freq tones?)
AQ HDC2.5
Ascendant Audio Arsenals (I think these would be the best for the box I have)
Type-R's

Any other suggestions, comments?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1907
AQ 1200 is a great amp!

if you can find em get some kappa perfect vq's. 1200 watts sealed box would sound silky smooth and get decently loud. (im not a fan of sealed boxes tho)

Im assuing you have .85 cubes per sub right so 1.7 net? if so that even a little large for 10's but you can always put somthing there to take up some space since its sealed you wont be throwing off your tuning or anything like that which would happen if it were ported.

anything you picked would be better than the type s.

You may want to to the big three and get a nice drycell under the hood with that much power though. anything more would be unnecessary.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15914
DD does not rec u run their subs in a sealed box so u can rule that 1 out

i had 2 10s RE SE in a sealed box & they sounded gr8 off 1200wrms ...

Post Number: 2
Yeah, I know I would get a lot of comments on the sealed box, but space is limited, and I care more about them sounding good vs getting loud. My Type-S, believe it or not, sounds pretty good in that sealed box, and the box was originally designed, space wise, for the AA arsenals, but I was thinking about finding something cheaper.

Yes, it is 0.85 cu ft per sub, each sub has it's own enclosure. I realize anything would sound better than entry level Type-S, but I'm looking for quality in sound, and built vs straight spl. I'm sure I will end up tuning the amp around ~800rms, at least to break them in, and the big 3 was going to be done, but I didn't really think much about the battery yet, so thanks for that comment.

As far as RE, I have heard they are not what they used to be, so I wasn't really going to look into them. Oh, there was a company I was pretty interested in a year or so ago, they made a 13" driver, but it wasn't JL. Anyone know what I could be talking about?

Post Number: 3
Ok, it was Elemental Designs I was thinking of...Any thoughts on the e5.10 subs from ED? is their NINe.1 amp still a good amp, or would the AQ1200d be a better choice?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1908
nine 1 is a great amp also id take the aq tho its a little more power.

ed makes great sq subs give em a whirl.

If i were you id run a single 10 ported on half the power but thats me. Save money on subs and will need less power and dont gotta work about electrical upgrades but a new custom box will cost ya $50 is you build it your self. you can get really good sq from ported boxes if you design them right. just my $0.02

Also have you considerd and IB setup? That is going to probably yeild the best sq and you will only need very little power to make it work. running a 12 or pair of 10's IB would be a very space saving option to consider.

Post Number: 4
I can't say I'm familiar with IB set ups in a car. I have heard of them used in the home, but could someone explain an example setup with what kind of drivers, box design and power I would want to use in a car? A hatchback no less? Something between 800 and 1200rms?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15918
for small sealed spaces apart from JL : look at image dynamics & elemental designs subs ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us