New system, kind of different idea

Username: Theshonfather

Post Number: 3
There isn't a "general discussion" place so I'll post here. Sorry in advance if I shouldn't have..
Ok, I'm getting back into car audio after about 10 years and have an idea for a system that i would like opinions on. First, this will be in a 1979 Jeep J-10 (not a very well known vehicle, basically a Jeep thats a full size, single cab truck.)
Going for SQ but i want it loud too, mostly music like TOOL, Deftones, etc.
I like my sound and bass nice and tight, but booming in the right places.
so....
behind the seats:
2 x 8" RE RE for the tight hits
2 x 10" RE SE for tight/boomy
in the doors:
2 X 6.5 in each door (1 2 way, 1 6.5 woofer in each door)
4" & 1" in dash
running various Hifonis amps to all.
how does that sound? Kind of different from what you usually see with the 8 and 10's and with the 2 sets of 6.5's huh?
Please let me know what you think.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 573
That's a lot of speakers, for SQ less is more as phase issues along with issues with a proper soundstage come into play. A lot of speakers will combat each other and your soundstage will be muddled together and basically crammed into your ear, while a system with a single component set for the soundstage will be spacious and with a definate source of detail of vocals and instruments, you'll lose a lot of transparency with that many speakers. Basically, it'll be loud, but not a lot of sound quality. Dash locations suck for a mid, and while tweeters CAN sound good in a dash, they usually need a lot of tuning to combat the reflections and resonances that the windshield and dashboard bring. Components sound better than coaxials as they have better crossovers, less interferance between the mid and tweeter, and better midbass since they don't have to have a tweeter in front of them, allowing more excursion. You can also place them where you want, offering better imaging with a proper installation. Hifonics makes nice amps, especially for the price. Personally I'd do either a 6.5" component set with two subs, maybe add a midbass to it at the most, or a 3-way component set. No more than that. If you want a set speaker for midbass, the best option is to look into a high quality 3 way component set that has an 8" midbass, 3" midrange, and 1" tweeter, or one with a 6.5" woofer, 4" mid and 1" tweeter, since you don't seem to be avoiding installation trouble you could do the woofers in the doors, then the mid and tweeter in kick panels, or all speakers in the doors if you seperate the mid and woofer's airspace. A Dynaudio System 360 would accomodate you very well if you like a flat, even response without a colored sound, and is a FANTASTIC component set, you could also look into a JL XR-653 3 way, which also are very good, and have a little more polish on the sound if you don't like a totally even, flat response. You could also wait a little while, I hear RE is supposed to come out with their 6.5" component set very soon, and it's midwoofer has great bass, a 12 mm x-max ONE WAY on a midbass driver, and a flat response, although I haven't seen a bench test since they haven't come out. Instead of the 4 of RE's mid level subs, I'd personally do 2 RE X.X.X series 10's or 12's, the SQ is just as good(if not better) with harder hitting SPL, Adire Brahmas are also another option offering better SQ with high SPL (not quite as much as the X.X.X's, though). By the way, a good set of components, such as that Dynaudio System 360 (which needs 200W RMS) will get VERY loud, as well as X.X.X or Brahma subs.

Post Number: 6
Well then, that's a lot of good info there man! I've been looking at CDT components and saw that deal at thezeb for the CL-61's BUT I found an online store that has the CL-62's for $149.99. That's a really good price yes? I'll look in the the X.X.X line. I'm looking to only spend these that $1500 total. Thanks for all the info, you rock!

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 579
I replied your thread about the CL 62s. Great components for an excellent price. Make sure it's not a shady deal. X.X.X. runs around $350 for the 12's, so $700 for two of them, which kind of kills your budget. Those RE's and SE's are good subs nonetheless, you can do the 8's and 10's but I don't see the point. The driver determines how tight the woofer is more so than the size, inductance is a benefit of those subs and the 12" will sound just as tight as the 10 as long as enclosure is to good specs, while capable of more SPL and deeper bass. They use XBL^2 drivers, same as Adire Audio Brahmas, go here and read how inductance affects woofer speed (aka punchiness, tightness)
http://www.adireaudio.com/Technical/tech.htm
Download "wooferspeed" it explains it. They basically doubled the mass on a driver and lowered the inductance, and compared that to a model with half the mass and more inductance. The response of the heavier woofer had a flatter curve than the base example, meaning inductance determines woofer speed and responsiveness more than mass. That's why I'd get the 12's over the 10's and 8's.

Post Number: 7
Cool, cool. Yeah they are from an online store that states they are brand new. The store isn't authorized but CDT has a testimonial from them on their page. Maybe I'll look in to 2 12" SE's
but I have to check mounting depth etc since these ae going to be in a single cab truck. Thanks for all you help and input!

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 583
The SE 12's have a depth of 6.75, so as long as you can build around an 8" deep box you'll be ok. For comparison, the 10" is 6" deep, good with a 7" deep box. 8 is 4" deep, no problems there. Can't promise what will fit as I'm not too familiar with J-10's.

Post Number: 8
Wow, if the mounting depths are that close I'll probably go with the 12's. I actually don't get the jeep until next week but I'm sure i can make it work. I'll let you know the final set up I'm going with then. Here's what it looks like:
Upload

Post Number: 9
Actually, one more question. Should i leave space between the speakers and the seats? I noticed good subs these days have alot of excursion and i don't want the seats interfering.
If so how do i figure out howe much?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 586
Yes. There should be a little more than the sub is capable of putting out, in the case of the SE's, 18mm x-max (.71 inches) one way, so leave about an inch clearance or more.

Post Number: 10
You rock man ! Glad to see their are people still willing to help the "noobs". I try and do the same. Thanks for everything.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 763
you can also look at some eclipse aluminum subs, 10" run for $229 each and go about 1.20" each way which is half inch more each way than those RE SE's

jusst a suggestion :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
This?

http://www.weddingstand.com/main.asp?storeid=1&body=detail&id=1338

haha just kidding, I've been looking at those as well. thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
ok, things change :-) so far I have a brand new set of CDT CL-62's and a used but not abused Hifonics Z600. $280.00 for both. Not to bad huh?
Now I'm looking at either at 2 IDQ12 D2V2 (used) OR 1 Eclipse Alum. SW8122DVC (NIB) for about the same price ($200).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us