Elemental Designs 13Kv.2 voice coils

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
I want to preorder a Elemental Designs (1)13Kv.2, and I plan to buy a suitable amp later on Should i get the dual 4 ohm or the dual 2 ohm voice coils? is there a difference? Which version would provide the best bass? thanks

Username: Flashflood

Post Number: 3
Theres not much difference in bass in either
configuration...
It just depends on what type of amp you want.

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
Ok cool. I bought the dual 2ohm voice coils version. What amp would you recommend? and what type of ohm wiring would be ideal? would a JBL BP 600 be overkill for this sub? or would it be sufficient as long as a kept the power turned down? thanks

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
Ok cool. I bought the dual 2ohm voice coils version. What amp would you recommend? and what type of ohm wiring would be ideal? would a JBL BP 600 be overkill for this sub? or would it be sufficient as long as a kept the power turned down? thanks

Post Number: 4
BP600.1 or .2?
You dont want a mono amp for that sub, unless its
stable to 1 ohm, and I dont think that JBL is.
youre gonna want to bridge a 2 channel amp most likely...

Bronze Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 52
I'd look for either a 1 ohm or 4 ohm amp that is mono. Mono amps were designed with subs in mind. Try to find on that is class D rated also. These are more efficient amps so they run cooler. When looking for amps try to keep the THD rating below 1% if its listed.

Now for the wiring.
If you get a 1 ohm amp then you have to wire the voice coils in parallel.
When you get the sub there will be and input for each coil. Connect the positives together and the negatives. Then connect the positives to the positive on the amp and the negative to the negative on the amp.

If you get a 4 ohm amp
The coils will need to be wired in parellel which means you'll go from positive on the amp to positive on one coil then the negative of the same coil will connect to the positive of the second coil. Then the negative of the second coil will connect to the negative output on the amp. I hope this helps out.

Here is a website with some diagrams for ya

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-4sUP4PmdgWr/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC2x2

good luck and enjoy that awesome sub

Post Number: 5
I thought you were supposed to keep youre entire system under 1% THD adding all components...

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
thanks for all the help. I'v been reading on these forums and i have read the BP 600.1 is stable in both 2 ohm and 1 ohm, so i may get that. However i think i will search online for other class D amps, i will also have to read up on 1% THD too :-) thanks again and any furthe input is greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3646
if you're only going to run one sub, you want the dual 4 ohm coil version for a mono amplifier.
that'll make for a 2 ohm load.

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
Crap. Already ordered the dual 2 ohm version. Will this be a problem? or will a 1 ohm load be fine?

P.S. Does anyone know when Elemental Designs starts shipping?

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
I'v already preordered the dual 2ohm version, will this be a problem? will the BP 600.1 (or another 1 ohm stable amp) work with this sub?

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
wow i'm really good at messing up and posting twice :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 247
Bob hate to tell ya but don't listen to these newbs here they will get you in trouble quick. Glass and Jonathan are the ONLY two I trust to help me with problems. You can still get the JBL though it will still work for ya. Use this diagram to wire it up. Use option #1

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC2x2

Bronze Member

MN

Post Number: 18
Jeremy at eD says, the Kv2s should be shipped
mid july, and the amps should be shipped mid/late july.
Im guessing its worth the wait.

Silver Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 104
wow i didnt realize you only ordered one woofer my bad bro the one ohm amp is what you wanted though with 2 ohm DVC just parellel the voice coils and youll be straight

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3654
if it's pre-ordered, just call and change your order :-)

Bob Dole
Unregistered guest
Just had the order changed. again, thanks for your input and help. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us