Subwoofer makes loud noises

noisybuzz
Unregistered guest
everytime I turn my radio on or off the sub produces a loud bang. while playing the sub acts totally normal. also when I switch from FM to CD I can hear the CD-drive searching tracks in the sub.
somebody told me I should try a remote-delay-device (sorry, dunno the rigth name)
please help !!

Silver Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 136
how is your system hooked up?

noisybuzz
Unregistered guest
I'm using my alpine's sub out to my amp. from there my sub is hooked to my amp running bridged mode. it's a standard setup. I already seperated the power cables from the signal cables. the only power leading cable running together with the signal cabels is the remote wire for the amp and some other stock cables I don't have a clue what they're for.
some other friend said might be the (-)wire of the amp is not properly contacting the car body. right now I'm using another ground spot I share with some other ground cables of the rear lights. my friend recommended using the seat belt screw to get better ground. well, I have to remove heaps of plastic covers again to get to that cable, damn job
any other ideas???

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 577
You're experiencing "turn on/off thump". Basically, this is caused by the audio circuitry stabilizing when power is applied. The fluctuations of current from ground points are what creates the "thump" you're hearing. Many amps and source units have muting circuitry that lasts for a couple of seconds to allow fluctuations to subside, but if it doesn't you'll need a turn-on delay module wired with the remote wire of the amp. Make sure the amp's ground point is solid because if it isn't, the fluctuations in current may not be able to go away before your amp turns on. The seatbelt mounting point usually makes a good ground in most vehicles, like your friend said. If this doesn't help, then you'll need the delay module.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 578
By the way, sharing ground (like you're doing with the rear lights) is not good. An amp needs an independant grounding point.

noisybuzz
Unregistered guest
Btw does the sub slowly fxxck up if I don't manage to fix that thump?
It doesn't sound as if it's goin close to it's mechanical limits. At least the intensity of the bang seems to stay the same at any volume.

Somebody told me the better your system gets, the more it can be affected by various scources. Unfortunately it's not like buying it, putting it in and you're set. That is something that really turns someone like me off who just wanted some good sound installed and not buying a new hobby in fixing the whole car to make it sound right.

Thanks for your advice & keep up the good work !!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us