Box building

Bronze Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 35
the recommended volume given by the manufacturer is that before or after the sub is installed?

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 162
it is how much air space the box should have in it after the speaker is installed but normaly the volume should be (EX.) 0.71 to 0.91 CF so if you go with the largest you should be set less calculations for ya ;)

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 36
the oz audio subs im looking at only have 1 value listed and its 1 cu ft. so anothr one for ya. the pre fab boxes you find online are the volumes they give what the box is before the sub is installed. and how do you find out the diplacement of the sub when installed?

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 163
well if you make the box on its own 1 cu.ft. and then put in the speaker you should be fine i dont think that it well make that much of a difference to your ear but hey if one thinks other wise please speak up

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3529
listed volume is usually a net volume, not gross volume, so it's before factoring in displacement of driver and ports.

in other words, it's the air volume in teh box after you have the ports and subs in the box. the box will be larger after adding those displacements to the suggested volume

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 43
wow maybe im retarded but i think you contradicted yourself

in the first line it says before factoring then in the second one it says after adding them in

by listed volume are you talking about the pre fab or the listed volume in the manual for the sub?

so lets break it down when i build the box for my subs they should be bigger than 1 cu ft. big enough so that when the sub is installed its displacement make the volume one cubic foot? If this is true how can i figure out the displacement of the sub?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 226
Look in the maunual and it will say like "Driver Displacement" or something like that. So lets say the woof takes up .38 cuft of space and you have a 1 cuft box. After the sub is installed the sub will only have .62 cuft of airspace to work with. So for this woofer make a box with 1.38 cuft of airspace so that after it is installed the sub has the 1 cuft of airspace to work with like it was designed for. Hope that helps

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 45
ok well it isnt listed in the online manual which is probably the same one they send out with the sub. but i just calculated a general idea by using the mounting diameter and depth

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3539
I wrote that at 5 this morning.
I was half asleep.
if the recommended enclosure volume is 1 cubic foot, that's the net volume.
this means you need to have 1 ft^3 of air space in the box AFTER the sub is in the box.. and the sub displaces a certain amount of air.
so, you need to add the sub's displacement to the volume calculations when you figure out the box's dimensions.

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 47
ok got that now since the displacemnt isnt listed in the online manual, I went and acted as if it was a cylinder and found the displacement based on the mounting diameter and depth wiii this be a close enough approx. of the displacement? or should i take like two thirds of what i get?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us