BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 553
Budget: Few hundred.
Goal: Screaming SQ.
Size: 6.5 would be nice
Truck: 86 GMC S15
-----------------------------------
I have dash and pillar speakers.. fail.
I'm not looking for THE BEST, just some chill speakers for my system. Im going to have to build an enclosure for them and mount it to the door. So speaker size isnt limited. I need something that will go good with my 2 15'' HDC3. I heard JLs, Infinitys, Boston Acoustics, all sounded fine.. i heard them with a system so i couldnt reeeeally enjoy them, and focus on them cause i was to busy enjoying the basssss .

In my system i can hear the words/vocals somewhat.. that was with my 2 12'' Type R's, I think its going to be even worse with my HDC3s. Im wanting to get out of my truck and hear the vocals clear as fuuuuuuck and crisp. I like playing at full tilt most of the time so the set is going to have to be able to handle that.

Suggestions anyone?
(If i need to add more info leme know)
-Dom

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13117
check out some cdt's

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 555
Whats the URL for em?

Bronze Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 91
You should look at alpine type x pro series, great for sq, focal polyglass,k2 or utopia series, JL ZR series. These are some of the best for SQ

1) Do you have an eq cause you should look into adding one to properly set the speakers.

2) Spend some time on configuring the eq using an RTA

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13118
www.woofersetc.com Just use them as a reference point to look for the cheapest prices

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15887
DLS on ebay ftw ! ...

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13119
^^^^Thats a good one.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2006
if you are truely interested in CDT speakers let me know :-)

and you have a s-10 correct?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13121
Rainbow is a good one too

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7065/SLC-265--Rainbow-SLC-65"-2Way-Component-System.htm

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 556
S-15.

Its hard to choose cause i never heard any of these play

basebalz - whacha got for me :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DLS-6-5-US6-2-SERIES-CAR-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SET_W0QQitemZ 290310331223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item4397d81b57

Are those the DLS you guys were tlkn about?

Im liking the price on the rainbows lol

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13123
These are the ones you want they have more midbass than the regular slc 265.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAINBOW-SLC-265-KICK-NEW-2-way-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQit emZ110476361258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item19b8e77e2a

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 557
that link didnt work sean. it gave me this message.

This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.
Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13124
http://cgi.ebay.com/RAINBOW-SLC-265-KICK-NEW-2-way-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQit emZ110476361258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item19b8e77e2a

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13125
these dls would be a super buy at this price

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2010-DLS-UP6I-2-Way-6-5-Component-System_W0QQitemZ180457 270509QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item2a04176ced

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 558
nice find sean!

ima have to figure out what/how ima make it work though lol fuxkin s15s... lol

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4792
Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS

I've heard good things about those speakers. Been wanting to test out a set. I personally use memphis 15-msync6 components. Midbass isn't that great, but they get loud and crisp and sound great.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2007
I dont like those DLS's on ebay, DLS doesnt allow online sales except through eD. no warranty...

Dom- these

http://www.vertexaudio.com/store/pc/CDT-Audio-HD-62CF-Carbon-Fiber-6-5-Component -Set-29p176.htm

Full warranty with them. comes from authorized online dealer...

If your interested we can talk about the price :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15888
those $235 DLS sean posted i wud jump on it for that price...

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13126
CDT Audio HD-62CF 6.5" Carbon Fiber Component Set

http://www.amazon.com/CDT-Audio-HD-62CF-Carbon-Component/dp/B002Z160Z6

Brand New in the Box with FULL WARRANTY from AUTHORIZED CDT DEALER

329.99 shipped

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 559
You think they'd be chill on 240 rms each?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13127
which ones

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 560
either of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2010-DLS-UP6I-2-Way-6-5-Component-System_W0QQitemZ180457 270509QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item2a04176ced

http://www.amazon.com/CDT-Audio-HD-62CF-Carbon-Component/dp/B002Z160Z6

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13129
240 each on the dls no way

on the cdts id say no too but eithier way you can set the gain conservatively with a dmm

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13130
as far as the choice between the two id say the dls would be more for finesse and the cdt will sound good too with more aggressiveness and definitely get loud

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 561
Okay so i'll get the get the cdt's. i'd ike to run a AQ4x90 with them

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4793
With the CDT's. They sound great on axis, but when the tweeters were off axis they didn't sound that great. I had the drt-25 tweeters i believe at that time.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15889
if u want alot of power\loud on ur front stage better u look at those loud series from some manufacturers like beyma , DLS , power bass etc

of course u wont get as much midbass...

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 562
What about a set of SPX-17PRO ona PDX-2.150?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13132
The one common complaint I found for the alpines is the mid bass is lacking on recommended power but the tweet shines

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13133
heres another review

I'm upgrading from a set of SPR-17S's.

I had a big fear going into this install, the off-axis setup. I heard ring radiator tweeters sometimes lack when setup off-axis, which is what I'm stuck with for the moment. The set comes with little modules for the crossover to assist in changing the output for various speaker placements, which I took as hopeful as far as going off-axis.

First impressions were actually not so good. I heard a lot of good things about the PRO tweeter, but it sounded almost identical to the R's. Very loud, not too harsh, but nothing worth a rave. The mids didn't sound too impressive either. I put every setting on my HU & PXA-H100 processor back to default and started from scratch. Settings were obviously geared for the Type-R's because with new settings, these things started to show why they cost twice as much. The tweeter was clearer/louder than the R counterpart, and more dispersed. The woofers I have HP'd at 80Hz and after a couple hours breaking in sound great.

After getting all my settings in temporary order I started giving the set a trail by fire of all the stuff that made the R's lacking at high volume, which was mostly the midrange/midbass.
Started with heavy distortion, C/D-dropped guitar type stuff. The R was horrible in this regard. But instead of a nasty rumble that almost sounded harmful to the speaker the PRO's output a clear, distinct guitar sound true to the recording. Occasionally I get a bit of vibration but some extra dynamat should solve that problem. Songs with a distinct drum beat sound good even without the aid of the sub. The R's damn near relied on the sub for it. Overall very happy with the new mids. They are both lighter and more shallow than the R woofers, but pack much more punch.

After tweaking them properly I actually liked the R tweeters, most of the time at least. Sibilance could get ridiculous though. And it can still be an issue on these, but some EQ tweaking gets it to a minimum. One of my favorite songs is loaded with it and could never really get loud on the R's, and here I can just about play it at max. The R's were actually pretty good at handling pop/techno, or anything that tends to be tweeter/sub reliant, and these do it even better. These types of songs I can turn up to max and into the painful ranges yet remain clear as day. My subwoofer becomes the weakest link at that point!

Occasionally the driver side tweeter sounds like its having trouble keeping up, mostly with metal/rock music with female vocals, but at like an 80 degree axis from my ear I can't blame it. Despite being happy with the setup now I'm going to toy around with the crossover modules and tweeter locations and see how it sounds on-axis sometime in the coming weeks. I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to snake wires in an already dynamatted door, but if the improvement is noticeable I'll go for it. Although I'll more than likely just put the R tweeters in the B-pillars and fade them slightly so they don't compete with the PRO's, but just sort of pick up the slack.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 563
Do you think id even notice the midbass with the 2 15s RIGHT behind me?

Is it difficult to pick a location where the tweeters shoud go? with them being off axis/on axis? i never installed a componet set before... so i have no idea.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13139
Well in an ideal system the music is balanced so id say yes if done right you will hear the mid bass.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13140
Knowing you have the hdc 15's id still recommend you get the cdt's they have plenty of midbass.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 564
Okay, thanks sean.. you've been real helpfull, really. :-)

Do you have any advice for me when picking a location for the tweets?

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13159
I hate to do this to you but Rovin owns those cdt's and he says the crossover points arent right or something and it sometimes messes with the vocals so at this point id have to say choose another set. And to be honest im a noob on component setup so ill leave that question to someone else.

Personally im going for those dls's for my set if he has them when i have the money but like I said im looking for finesse not aggressive.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 576
Im a noob too when it comes to componets lol thats why i was thinking about the alpines, cause they make good products and im not looking for anything amazing.

As for tweets location i have no clue lol nor do i know how to phuck around with an EQ, im not really good when it comes to that kinda sh!t, like gains and everything.. just never got taught well yet, but i seem to manage.

Gold Member

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4795
I know how you feel Dom. My personal experience, buy something in the $200 range. Don't start off somewhere like $350 and end up changing to some $200 components that actually satisfy you more (my case). If you find yourself wanting more sq/midbass/etc then go up from there.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 579
exactly berny first i was thinking about the type r comp set, 120 bucks on ebay NEW... really cheap right? then i figured the type x would be really better and there about 250-300. im sure i'll be happy with either of em :-) id love something thatd go good with a AQ4x90 though, so my amps are the same brand.. phuck might even go with the AQ comps hahah :-)

Silver Member
Username: Woofers4life

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 166
might as well you already AQ'd every other part of your system, hell get a small AQ sticker and make your HU a AQ product too

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13160
what did you decide on?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15899
if ur a perfectionist i wouldnt advise CDT but if ur not they are good

when u really want quality without buying those mega priced $5000+ sets look at DLS , hybrid audio & Morel to name a few

to get performance\midbass from any set u must dampen inside ur doors & that outer door panel too ...

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2010
The issues with the Crossover and the "vocal's" is simply the old crossovers was a "tad" senstive to over-powering and clipping, and the tweeters would cut out to early sometimes IMO. However with the new crossovers provided on that CDT HD-62CF set that is gone, ALSO IIRC the replaced the Crossovers on the CDT COMP-626 set so you wouldnt have a issue with the crossovers on either model.

I will tell you straight up, i have ALOT of respect for the Carbon Fiber comp set from CDT. This is coming from me from hearing just about every avaible model from CDT, along with Dynaudio's, Hybrid's, Focal's, Hertz, RE XXX's, etc.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 581
Big D - hahahah MIGHT AS WELL!

Sean - i havent decided yet, ive been pretty busy with the truck.

Rovin - thanks for the tip.

Basebalz - thanks for the info

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 2011
I will have to say, ive never heard a DLS set to my knowledge, but heard they are very nice. However i just feel better knowing I have a warranty :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Tgspeedracer

Denver, Co Usa

Post Number: 27
I got a set of lj's c5 seires and like them alot they have way more low than most components. I have heard a while back and have been using this on my set up. but the tweeters are suppost to be with in 18" of the woofer for a balanced sound, so if you are putting them in your doors just do the woofer toward the bottom and the tweeter toward the top of the door.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 584
Tyler - you saying like have the 6.5 at the bottom of the door by my feet and the tweet by the top like elbow height?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us