Running components on HU amp

Bronze Member
Username: Bruhneedluv2

Post Number: 39
I have been interested in getting a component system or two and wanted to know if they would run well on the HU's amp. Here is my current setup for mids and highs: 4 tweeters ran parallel with the cheap replaced 6x9s in the rear deck and some cheap replaced 5 1/4s in the door. I was thinking about taking those 4 tweeters and running them on a separate amp and run the others from the HU's amp. That would kind of take care of my highs, but what would need to be done for my mids (mid and midbass)? any suggestions would be helpful. I'm on a budget so please realistic with me. I dont have to have high end (unless I can get it at a blowout price) because no one would really know what it is but me. I simply want frequencies to come out I would other wise not have in this current setup. All help is appreciated regardless of candor and sneers.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattl

Bolingbrook, Illinois USA

Post Number: 47
We'll need makes and models to know what kind of power demands we're playing with... and at least I can promise to be snicker-free.

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
honestly I got some tweeters from Ebay and wired them. I also got BS RoadGear replacement speakers, 32 dollars for all 4 replacement speakers: 2 in the door and 2 in the deck. the amp I was talking about using is an old Legacy 430 amp that is about 62.5 w/rmsx2 channels that I used to push some bs 10"s I have had before. the radio is a Jensen 1.5 din cd receiver I got for about $115 from wal mart about 3 years ago (1990 cadillac eldorado biarritz).

I'm replacing that HU with the PANASONIC CQ-DF903U CAR CD PLAYER 23w/RMSx4 (had an alpine but did not like the faceplate, too bland). I am going to keep the tweeters because I have them placed where I want already. but I most definitely want to replace the 5.25s with a decent, but budgeted 5.25 component set and either a decent 6x9 4 way or a 6.5 component set within the budget as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
anybody else wants to help me out here. I need it sincerely.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
What's the true budget?

-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I'm willing to spend up to $160 total on front and rear components. The front has 5.25 spaces and the rear has 6x9 spaces. What component sets would run pretty good from the HU's amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Okay, this is gonna be scraping, but CarDomain.com has the MB Quart Discus 213s on sale for $75 a set. It's a 5.25" component set that you will need to make a plate to fit in the rear deck (but they will fit). They have a 30W RMS, which is about as low as you're possibly going to find for decent speakers.

Most 6x9s start at 80W RMS.

Sorry that's about as good as I can do...
-Matt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
at least you tried. thanks!!! others would not even look in this thread. Let me also ask you this: how about simply replacing those with some decent 5.25s and 6x9s? any suggestions for those or no? I have subs already so im looking for the extra needed kick. I can move it up a bit if needed, if they will produce the sound needed. What would be the best option on a budget of $200 to get the front stage? the car is a 90 cadillac eldorado biarritz two door 5.25 in the door and 6x9s in the rear.

This is my ideal setup: I already have the tweeters in place for optimal sound. I want to use the HU's amp and no more than my two additional amps for powering everything. I got an okay volfenhag amp 7180 220w X 2 @4 ohms (all I need for now) and that legacy amp previously mentioned. the panasonic hu has front rear and subwoofer preouts @ 5V with sub level control. I was thinking it may be easier to use the hu's amp for the tweeters and the front speakers and then use the rear preouts and get some decent 6x9s to used on my legacy amp. with 5v @ 60 ohms the signal should be clean enough. what did you think? Sorry if I have given you a headache. I just need some advice from someone who may deal with car audio more than me. I have the basics down but I want some tips along the way

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Power is still your biggest issue. If you get components or coaxials, your existing tweeters would go away.

I'd keep the same recommendation and put the amp on the front set of speakers.

-Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us