Basics of subwoofers

Bronze Member
Username: Artofaccuracy

Post Number: 17
ok so what are the basics of subwoofers that give them good sound quality, make them louder, or make you be able to feel them more. I'm talking like decibals and a decent explanation separated into groups. i've heard so many different technical terms i just want them separated and exlpained, also about boxes and what making them more sound-proof has to do with it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
also what are like ohms and what are slt ported boxes.

I'm looking for a sick setup and good planning. I'm willing to spend 500+. how much more I go depends on how you present and "sell" me, the setup. I want some nice subs that hit really hard and tight but are extremely loud and ripple through the bodies of anyone in the car. They also have to have some decent sound quality. (I'm not talking JL w7's, but good quality)also an amp to use and a box, and throw in a recomended head unit while ur at it. I'm expecting one of the pros to this board to create something clever that really goes well together; something that costs less than the incredible system they have but would be good for someone liek me with a budget. are momos good? and what amp,box should i use to get the most out of those.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
lol sorry but also what are hZ and cubic squares and whats the absolute best material to use for a box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
yeah and what is SPL

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 542
SPL is Sound Pressure Level. The two big factors in producing SPL are surface area (SD) and X-max. Basically the more surface area and x-max, generally the louder the sub is and harder it will hit, among other things like responsiveness, mass, etc. Sound Quality of a sub is determined by many things, Bl curves are a good thing to look at, inductance should be low, moving mass should be low, sub should have good damping. The enclosure also matters as it controls the cone and Q of the driver. Hz is the frequency that a speaker is producing, the number constitutes how many times the cone moves in a second. Low Hz is deep, Higher is treble, midrange is in-between. Audible range of HZ is 20-20,000 hz. Cubic feet are the measurement of box size, or simply a volume measurement, not just limited to speaker boxes. MDF is generally the preferred box material because it is the least resonant and easy to work with. What's your exact budget, is that 500 for everything, or just sub/amp?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3498
surface area + excursion = displacement.
the more displacement you have, the more air you move.
the more air you move, the louder your system.

what makes a good SQ sub is a lot more complex and gets into things like coil wire quality in the windings, magnet structure materials and design, basket and suspension design, pole alignment, coil cooling techniques, and much much more..

If you want to learn the basics of everything, read this site top to bottom:
www.bcae1.com

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 748
yea speaking of coil cooling techniques, did u see the new kv.2 extra cooling? the underside of the cone just before it connects to the former has holes drilled in it for extra air flow to the voice coil

i thought that was a really cool idea

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i think i want 12" subs i have a good amount of money to spend on subs and up, under 1000 though.
the only other option i was considering was like 3 10" comp VR's in those special big boxes that some guy was talking about that got him over 140 dB's. how good are eclipse titaniums and how much do they cost. besides that i was looking at 12" brahmas, RE x-x-x's, solobaric L7's, Cerwin Vegas V-Maxxs, type R's (how good are these),
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, and some
Cerwin Vega Strokers. which of those is the best. i'm looking for good sound quality ( nice distinguished bass tones and able to catch high and low end notes, although this will be if im listening to RHCP or incubus at lower volumes), and more than that really good SPL, im talking a phuckin bumpin system that will vibrate right through one side of u and out the other and is able to be heard from a good distance away. any advice will be appreciated

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
im also lookin at 12" momos

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 757
wow nice taste logan :-)

i would choose between the re x-x-x's and brahmas and strokers

those are definately the higher end subs that will produce large amounts of SPL

i would say out of those 3, i would personally go with the X-x-X's

Bronze Member
Username: Adamwright

Post Number: 22
a wise man after sq goes perfects

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 565
I'd do a Brahma long before a Perfect for SQ. More SPL also. Needs a bit more power, but an awesome sub. RE X.X.X. will get more SPL than a Brahma, and it maintains good SQ as well. X.X.X. series will give a LOT of SPL. Put those in a slot ported box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us