Simple (hopefully) sub wiring question

Username: Larsltd

Post Number: 1
Basically I got a sony CDXMP80 head unit, and have just got a sub with built in amp ( it was cheap off my bro and i want to complement my 1000w kenwood amp running my 2 6X9's! ). on the back of my head unit i have mono sub output with two white wires (for 2 amps ?). can I use a set of rca's l/r to l/r with this connection on my head unit ? the reason i ask is cause my amp has a l/r input but no mono input so how do i get around the problem of mono output - stereo input ?
Thanks for help
Chris.

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Williamsport, Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 79
Looks like it probably only has a mono sub out, no surprise. Just run your RCAs from those two whites to the sub. That'll work just fine. Or, if you don't wanna do that, then get a splitter, put that on one of the white outputs for the sub, and then run the L/R of the RCA to your subs that way. Either way, should work just dandily.

Hope this answers your question.

Silver Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 121
first of all why do you have a 1000w amp running two 6x9's? second how old is your hu? ive never heard of a mono output from a aftermarket hu.

Post Number: 2
Cheers Donald R, was gonna try that just wanted to check that it would work!.
P.s. I have a 1000w cause i wanted to have the ability to upgrade my system without needing new amps plus running the amp at half power will make it last longer!, now all i gotta do is wait for me distribution block and all should be dandy !
Cheers for the advice
chris

Post Number: 3
My head unit is : http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=3_34_2468
p.s. amp is 1000W max so only runs at 2X150W rms! hence is ok for 2X 6X9's !

Silver Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 123
i didnt know they made hu's that have mono outputs. doing what donald said is the way to go
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us