Subwoofer selection Glass/Jonathan/Bacon

Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 5
Well here it goes. first i wanna thank glass for all his help so far very very informative.

Im working with two cars
a 95 suburban and a 02 vw gti with "monsoon" aka crap system

my dad is going for a basic upgrade in his suburban. he just got an alpine HU and is now looking into bass before he buys new speakers. from what i get from him he wants good deep bass and decent accurancy with a good amount of volume but all at a decent price. the budget is about 500 for subs box and amp. I know this isnt much and ive been trying to do my listening research for him because i have the time to get out and go places. I was at tweeter the other day and was listening to two jl 10w0s (i think) in a premade sealed box sold for 280 does this sound like a good idea for him or should he get bigger subs. granted im gonna have him go listen for his self before he buys anything. any other suggestions as far as sub and box type. Ill keep you posted as i goto new stors and listen to new products. as far as the amp goes i can do that part i know what to look for with those and how to wire them.

Now for my car. I dont have a lot of money right now and am really only looking for subs at the moment. i plan on building my own boxes for them. Im looking at two tens or twelves in seperate probably sealed boxes. Im going to run them temporarily of my monsoon amp using the 2 ohm cables that run two 6.5 in drivers in the stock system. I have heard oz v2 12s and was very impressed with them as far as sound and price. They were hooked up to an audio control epic-160 bass maximizer and when turned on brought out the deep bass tones. this of course would be an add on later when i buy an amp for the subs. Im not looking for thunderous vibrating bass. im more of a sound quality guy. I want it to get loud but the guy in the house im driving by doesnt need to feel it. anymore suggestions? thanks in advance

kickercomp im sure youll post and im still looking for a place that carries the comp vrs so i can hear them

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
i get my stuff done at sound advice which is a tweeter company so im supprised that they dont have comp vrs there?? i have heard those 2 JL 10w0s at the local sound advice and they sound ok, and ur dad would still have $220 left to buy a decent amp for the 10s. those 10s only need 125watts for rms so practicly any amp will do. as far as the comp vrs they should carry them at tweeter but if not look for a sound advice or ask maybe a local dealer if u want to listen to them. whatever 2 10s u get i suggest to put each one in its own ported box if u want a deep bass increase. the port on my boxes is 2in x 10 1/2 in. and each box is 1.91 cu.ft

VA

Post Number: 6
yeah they had the comps but not the vrs which i found odd. the guy pushed jl like it was his job which kind of pissed me off. I really liked the eclipse titaniums they had but way too expensive for me right now.

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
yeah they do try to shove JL down ur throat. as far as the normal comps dont even think thats how a vr sounds. the comp is noware near as efficient as the comp vr it gives the vr a bad name. maybe theyll get some vrs is soon!

VA

Post Number: 7
yeah im hoping some places i check out today will have some so i can take a listen now would you recommend thes more for me or my father?

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
for both. at the most they are $119 so for 2 ur looking at $240. at the tweeter u said u were at makes the same custom boxes i have.
these r the dimensions: height=12in, width=13.25in, depth=28.25in. and the port is 2in X 10.5in.
the boxes run about $200 a peice but are well worth it. so for the 2 10s and 2 boxes ur looking at 640 but u will achive roughly 140dBs. i dont know many other ways to reach 140dBs for $640.
they might even be louder in ur car. they are 140 dBs in my explorer.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 707
ok for ur old man...heres an idea for ya:

adire audio shiva - $125 + JBL bp600.1 - $200 so that after shipping leaves about $150 for a box / other stuff

ur best off building a box for the car, but any prefab box 1.5-1.8 cubic feet sealed is fine, that sub will move and it sounds awesome both loud and SQ wise - you'd be very happy with it

for u and ur vw gti

"I have heard oz v2 12s and was very impressed "

oz audio? if thats what you meant, great taste in subs...they make excellent subs at oz audio - comp VRs are nice subs but for the money, i like toher subs...like elemental designs e10k or e12k

i have a pair of e10k's and they are excellent for SQ and they get pretty darn loud too - and i have them in a 2.25 cF ported tuned to 29 Hz which gives even better SQ :-)

VA

Post Number: 8
thanks a lot all this sounds really good and goes along well with what i have researched so far and yes i meant oz audio. what do you guys think abot the use of the bass maximizer? it supposidly restores the bass below 45hz that is lost and cut when recording

VA

Post Number: 9
along with that what sizes would you recommend for the both of us? mainly for my dad because im really liking the 12" oz audios for my car

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 709
well shivas only come in 12", so 12" for ur dad and go with those oz audio's those sound awesome
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us