Question for Glass

Unregistered guest
hey, i am going to be installing my car stereo system in a 1985 Cutlass Supreme Brougham in a couple weeks. I have a JVC head unit, model KD-SX780. I am also installing a Sony (dont laugh at me) 480 watt 2 ch amp ( i think its xm-280gtx), and a pair of Audiobahn ACX693 3 way 6x9s. sometime in the near future i may throw in a cheap dvd player and a couple screens. will the imput in the back of the HU work as an imput for the audio signal from the dvd player? if so, where can i get the adapter? (its a weird circle plug w/ lots of pins). Also, i realize this is a discussion about head units but i have questions about which subs and amp i should get. I am just gunna ask you on here so i dont have to post another thread on a dif board. i want a pair of subs(perferably 12's) and a amplifier, i have around 150 for subs and 150 for amp (i plan to shop ebay, ive used it in the past and its worked out fine). I have been looking at subs for a LONG time, and i know a good amount about them...but tell me what you think about any of these: kenwood tornados, kenwood typhoons, rockford punch z's, ma audio,lightning audio,??????? i really like the sound of the typhoons, also their sensitivity is 93 or 94 (depending on where your reading it from). the only things i dont like are foam surround, and they are svc. for an amp i was thinkin maybe a ma audio 800 watt mono for those kenwoods, a decent cheap amp. i also have this idea to cut out a good portion of the metal under the rear deck and replacing it w/ 3/4" mdf, cutting holes to flush mount my 6x9s and maybe a pair of 6 or 6.5" midbass subs that would be pushed w/ my 480 (along w/ my 6x9s). let me know what you think, your help is GREATLY appreciated. thank you

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3452
hmm where to start on this one..
the DIN adapter would be ordered through a JVC dealer for that unit. you should be able to use it with a DVD player, yes.

your budget is a bit shallow for subs and amp if you want two 12" subs, but I'd suggest you try a pair of Kicker Comp or CompVR 12", and a JBL amp (bp300.1 for comps or bp600.1 for compVRs)

every sub brand and model you listed, in my humble opinion, is total crap.
sensitivity is meaningless for a sub, or any speaker @ over 100 watts.
don't get misled by meaningless specs.
SVC or DVC makes no difference. the load matters.
foam surrounds are fine. they are lighter and make the sub more efficient. I have subs that were made in 1989 with treated paper cones and foam surrounds. they still hit just as ahrd as ever and look like new.

sony, kenwood, lightning, ma audio.. all of these companies are really poor quality.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us