DO I NEED EXTRA BATT, CAPACITATOR, OR NEW ALTERNATOR ???

Username: Noobchi

San Marcos, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
i HAVE A 2005 PONTIAC GRAND AM WITH TWO 12 PIONEER PREMIER SUBS HOOKED UP TO 3000 WATT MERLON MONO AMP WITH 1.6 FARAD CAPACITATOR AND A OPTMA YELLOW TOP BATT AND MY CARS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM CONTIUES TO DIM ALL LIGHTS AND SO ON. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO, I MIGHT B A COMPLETE NOOB BUT I FIGURED THE OPTIMA BATT AND THE CAPACITATOR WOULD STOP THE DIMMING BUT IT HAS NOT... HELP !!!!

Username: Broeseker

Post Number: 2
i had capacitor also and the same thing happened to my lights. i was told that capacitors dont keep a charge when the car is off so when you turn your car on and start pumpin the bass the capacitor doesnt have time to charge and give you the extra power to keep your lights and dash from dimming. so i got a batcap witch is a rechargable car audio battery and it virtually runs my amp and my truck battery charges it. i have a xstatic batcap 800 and it was about $ 180 and it works great.

Username: Broeseker

Post Number: 6
that batcap 800 puts out 800 peak amps by the way

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 176
Make sure your gain is set correctly. If it is too high youre pulling a large amount of power over what its meant to handle and this will lead to voltage drops. To check, in your manual it will say your amp should put out a given amount of voltage at a certain ohm load. Have your HU set to 3/4 volume with all settings at 0. You'll need a DMM and turn the gain up until the desired voltage is met. Also make sure the amp you have is stable at the ohm load you are running at. for example, if you have a 2 ohm stable amp running at 1 ohms, that will lead to voltage drops as well. Hope this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Msand951

San jacinto, Ca Usa

Post Number: 221
Due the Big 3. Get rid if the cap. And if its 3k rms your trying to push then you need a high output alternator.

I have 0gauge for my amp and the big three and a 200amp alternator plus another battery in the back I use like a batcap. I used this setup on a 3250 i had.

Bronze Member
Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 15
hey guys i have two batteries hooked up two my truck regular batteries and the cap my alternator is stock 105 amps and it dims my other battery is for when im just sitting down listenin to music i disconnect one to jump my truck should i get a radio battery hook that up in place of my truck battery and get a bigger amped alternator
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us