Sub and Amp, Do i need a capaciter??

Username: 19demon65

Valentine, Ne U.s.a

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a 500 watt 15 in. sub with a max of 4000 watts and i want to hook it up to my 1000 watt sub. I want to put it in my 97 jeep. Do i need a capacitor or an HO alternator? Please help

Username: Steadyupgrading

Evansville, IN Usa

Post Number: 6
Well,with your wattage,I wouldn't worry so much about the HO alternator. However a cap is always a good idea in my opinion. It will make for more steady signal to your amp,not as many spikes up or down. Much tighter,cleaner bass,less strain on your ride,no dimming headlights and dancing battery meter. 1 Farad should be ideal,just make sure not to run both your amp and cap ground wires to the same ground lug.Your gonna want separate lugs for each.

Silver Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 118
You may not need anything. Hook it up, see if your lights dim. If so, upgrade the Big 3. That usually does it. Avoid a capacitor if possible...lot of money to throw at a problem that is usually fairly cheap to fix...provided you don't need a HO alternator (I doubt you will with that setup).

Username: 19demon65

Valentine, Ne U.s.a

Post Number: 2
i am a noob to this. What are the big 3?

Silver Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 123
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/407642.html

Bronze Member
Username: Tweezy79

Chatham, Il

Post Number: 13
I wouldnt waste any money on a cap, but you should think about buying a better battery. Caps are kinda a show item to me, but thats just me. You should hook everything up and see if you have any issues with the lights dimming when your producing those low notes.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Giggidy, GA USA

Post Number: 2664
No cap. A cap charges and discharges continuously, so you are providing power to an external product that is taking away form the source that NEEDS the power (your amp). So while your amp is needing the voltage, your cap is being recharged. Your amp has the capacitors it needs on its board to hold internal voltage to provide enough voltage across the rail for correct performance.

Short but sweet. WTF are you asking? 500 watt sub to 4000 watt sub? Give us name and model number of sub as well as amp. NO CAP. Do not touch anything until you provide this info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us