Head Unit Choices?

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 59
Hey guys been away for sometime, but looking for some advise on a new system build from those of you who keep up on the current head units....

My last head unit (which was stolen from my garage...grrrr!) was the Pioneer DEH-P860MP. It was a pretty nice head unit, and had the full color OEL display, but what made it even more nice was that it had the Burr Brown sound processor, separate crossovers for front and rear speakers (so I could set fronts to cut off at say 120hz but rears at 80hz as an example). I've found that Pioneer now makes the DEH-P980BT which is a pretty nice unit and has all the same "sound shaping" features I had before, but with Blue Tooth added. However, what I would like without breaking the bank is:

The same "sound shaping" features (crossovers) as the 860MP/980BT, Blue-tooth, Aux input, USB input (plan to get an I-Pod someday), but in a dual DIN DVD player...preferably 7" wide-screen. Am I dreaming, or does such a product exist?

Additional information just in case you need it:

Amplifier: Haven't purchased yet but looking at the Alpine PDX-5 or JL Audio 300/4 and 500/1 (though might be too much power for my sub)
Subwoofer: JL Audio 12W3V3-2 (sealed enclousure) - This was just purchased.
Front Components: CDT CL-51S? (open to suggestions) - Not purchased yet (had the CL-61S before)
Rear Speakers: JL Audio TR 6x9's? (open to suggestions) - Not purchased yet, really only used to fill the sound stage.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Prelude (Base)

Thanks for any help in advance...

Bronze Member
Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 60
Okay here are some of the units I'm looking at:

Alpine CDA-9887, Eclipse CD5030, Pioneer Premier DEH-P710BT. These are the none DVD units...the 980BT is an amazing unit but it just simply put costs too much for what you get from my perspective. The above listed Alpine annoys me because it lacks the Blue Tooth, and Ipod connection found in other units in its price range. Now you can add them as options but they don't come ready to use as the unit sits stock.

DVD units: Pioneer AVIC-F900BT, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD...still looking...To put it plainly these units are expensive which is fine as long as the offering meets the price in my opinion. The 900BT is an older version of the now X910BT and can readily be found for reasonable prices. Not big on Nav as I have a TomTom and a Droid so I have ample access to Nav, but the ability to command the head unit by voice is AWESOME, as well is built in BT, and many other features...the screen size is a small down fall, that I can deal with to have an actual knob to turn for volume!! The 4100 is a cheap solution that gets "my foot in the door" so to speak. I would have to add BT later on, but it has a nice 7" screen and plays DVD's which is nice.

When looking at my list the Pioneer's have the most "toys" on them, but my concern is with sq. I was happy with my old Pioneer unit but it was a very nice unit for it's time and was built far better than it's own sisters and brothers. Alpine and Eclipse have been known for years as the best sounding units, but I've always had a beef with Alpine for what I felt was over charging for peripherals which were cheaper with any other major competitor. Eclipse I haven't had much experience with but I hear the menu's can take some time to get accustomed to using.

Any opinions, and or recommendations are VERY welcome!!

PS the CDT's are CL-51A (not s) and I had the CL-61A with upgraded silk dome tweeters...if I could fit 6.5" in the Prelude without hacking it apart I'd do it...plan to get HU, speakers, amps...in that order...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us