How to install an amp for speakers and an amp for sub?

Username: Supersnowmaster

Post Number: 1
hello everyone i was jsut wonderin i bought a new alipne head unit (cd player) for my truck. just wondering how i can run a 4 channel amp to power my speakers. and a mono amp to power my sub? what materials will i need? how do i install? thanks for the help. im looking forward to see how to do this:-)

Username: Steadyupgrading

Evansville, IN Usa

Post Number: 2
Man,I'm no guru in the car stereo world,but the first thing I would do in your situation is tally up max watts of both amps and buy a capacitor to match. Typically you want one farad to every 1000 watts. For example if you have a 600 watt 4 channel for your speakers and a 1000 watt mono for your sub,your safer sticking with a 2 farad cap. So on so forth. As for materials,you can get kits for wiring up two amps. On average it will come with a two way power wire splitter,a secondary ground, remote wire,and audio cables for your second amp. Like I said,I'm no pro,but what I did was buy a wiring kit for the initial amp ( power wire,ground wire,remote wire,speaker wire,audio cables,fuse holder and fuse.) Then I bought the dual amp expansion kit. Find a safe place within 12-18in from your battery to mount your fuse holder. Run the short line from your holder to battery,then long wire to where your putting your gear. Run that power wire to your cap to power it,then run your power lead from your cap to the splitter.Needless to say run your two wires to your to amps and ground everything. B#@*& is,I don't believe you want to ground everything to the same lug. To the best of my knowledge you want to run your cap and your two amps to three different ground lugs. Everything else should speak for itself for the most part. Run your two sets of audio cables from the h/u to the appropriate amps.The 4ch should have two inputs(one for front one for rear)so you will need a third set of audio cables. The back of your h/u will be marked front rear or sub as well.I just cut down the remote wire to distance for my 4ch and tied it into the remote in my 2ch. I can't explain enough that I'm no pro at this,but it worked for me,hope it helps. You got some time consuming s#@* ahead man have fun.

Username: Supersnowmaster

Post Number: 2
well i got a rockford fosgate 100w rms mono amp idk its peak and a sony xplode 600w peak 4 channel for my speakers isit possible to get a diagram?

Username: Steadyupgrading

Evansville, IN Usa

Post Number: 3
Well,what sort of diagram do you need? Have you ever hooked up this type of equipment? Any and all specs you need for the amps themselves,you should be able to google the model number and find specs and/or owner's manuals.

Silver Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 117
The Alpine unit Owner's Manual should have a rough diagram of how to add an amp into the system with that HU. Your HU will need to have Front, Rear, and a sub pre-amp output to add multiple amps. Most systems as you have described can be ran with one 4 channel amp and one mono amp (for the subs).

Amp kits are really helpful to first timers. They include everything you need to wire the amp or amps in. I recommend KnuKonceptz for first timers as they have descent cable and descent prices.

http://www.knukonceptz.com

It appears they are out of stock on some amp kits right now, but if you email Bill, the owner, he is good about getting one put together for you and letting you know exactly what you need...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us