NEWBIE PLEASE HELP AMP AND SUBWOOFER QUESTION

Username: Hialeah_fl

Post Number: 1
I have a few question I hope you can answer for me.

I have a caddillac deville (2000) I used to have a 1200watt Hollywood Excursion amp connected to 4 pioneer premiers 12" subs. I also had a 600watt amp connected to my inside speakers. I had a seperate Red Optima battery aswell.

That system worked just fine, did not dim my lights or anything of that nature.

Ive decided to switch to 2 Kicker L7 12" subs in a ported box. I know that I will need a bigger amp for those L7's.

My question is the following,

Do I purchase the Kicker L7's 2 ohm or 4 ohm's?
What amp should I purchase for these subs? how many watts minimun?
Can I keep my Hollywood Excursion 1200 amp?
Should I purchase any Capacitors? If so How many?
Should I upgrade my alternator? (hope not)

I intend on keeping the inside speakers connected with the 600 watt amp I had before.
Should I get rid of the extra dry cell battery?

I just do not want to change the alternator. This is a caddillac and has so many different lights, I have HID's in the headlights and foglights.

Should I just get different speakers instead? If so which ones? I just want 2. If I get the CVR's should it be in a sealed box?
Thank you so much , I appreciate everyones help.

Post Number: 3
Forgot to mention that the stock alternator is 120 amps. I do have 2 sets of HID's,

Username: D2freak82

Post Number: 1
an alternator is always a good upgrade, but if that's not something you want to do... you might try the big 3. But if you say your headlights don't dim the alternator is probably not necessary, a second battery or a capacitor is a good idea to preserve your charging system. It draws a steady charge from your alternator instead of large surges.
You ask if you should get rid of the extra dry cell, do you have 2? If so, don't get rid of it... and a battery is much better than a capacitor, it's really the same concept, disperse energy to the amps, and draw a steady charge instead of bursts.
As far as speakers go, you'll want to match amp to the subs, if they dvc, you'll probably want dual 4 ohm so you can get a 1ohm stable amp to power them, if they are SVC, you'll can go with either, 2 4 ohm would give you 2 or 8 ohm load fo ryour amp, if 2 2ohm subs, you'll have either 1 or 4 ohm load.
Hope this helps, I don't know the output of the subs, so it's difficult to suggest amp. Altho befroe you get new subs, you might try your old ones in a ported box, you'll generally get a louder output although it does generally take up more room.

Bronze Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 98
I helped a buddy hook up two L7s to two Xtant 1001x amps. The amps have dual speaker outputs even though the amp is a mono. We hooked both 4 ohm coils (individually) to each amp. The amps sees this as a 2 ohm load. I also installed the LFQ into both amps, 0 gauge wire from the battery, added two Batcap 800s, 0 gauge wire from the alternator to ground and from the battery to the alternator (save from buying HO alternator). After the low volume setups and LFQ setups, we cranked on it a bit and cracked the rear windows in his car.

Since they were already cracked, I got my RTA and Osc. out to check some other things. We blew the glass out at 171.3 dB.

The L7s love Xtants running a 2 ohm load. I, personally, have not seen L7's sound or pound better with any other amp.

Post Number: 6
Ok so should I get the 12"cvr's or the 15"cvx's?

Should they be 2 or 4 ohm?/

They will be going in the trunk of a cadillacdeville. I heard that ported is better when its a truck or suv, but since its a closed in trunk, I was told that sealed box is better. Any advice??

The amps specs are:
HOLLYWOOD RHV-1200D 1200 WATT CAR AUDIO AMPLIFIER
• Class D monoblock
• 1200 watts max power
• Non regulated mosfet pwm power supply
• High efficency, high current design
• Auto high current switching
• 6-volt rca input
• 2 sided epoxy pcb
• Bass QX variable boost frequency select (40Hz-240Hz)
• Variable 18 db bass boost
• Phone jack for remote bass control
• 24 db variable low pass crossover
• Variable 24 db sunsonic filter
• Full aluminum heatsink design
• 6 way computerized protection circuit
• Freq response: 5Hz - 600Hz
• RMS power: 4 OHMS - 200W,2 OHMS - 400W,1 OHM - 750W
• Signal to noise ratio: 95db
• THD: <0.06%

I do not mind getting a different amp if neccessary.

Username: D2freak82

Post Number: 2
that looks like a nice amp....
The type of box is all about what your preference is and sometimes what kind of info you can find on the subs optimal enclosure so on.

I personally dig ported boxes, used to swear by sealed back in the day lol. I wouldn't say a sealed is better for a car, seems a bit backwards honestly you have more room in a car for ported, and less in a truck... which would make a sealed a better application, generally you won't get the levels out of sealed box though. Sealed originally was made for speed metal and such when that was the thing, slam an epi center on it to recreate those notes lost through the recording and you're good to go.

I honestly would try the subs you have now in a ported box, I think you'll like the box, and if you're REALLY good (these boxes are touchy) you could go with bandpass but those take a massive amount of space.

what kind of music do you listen to?

Post Number: 9
Usually listen to rap music. Do you think that that amp is capable of pushing 2 12's aswell as the 2 15: cvx's?

The car battery is an optima red top, I have a optima yellow that can be used for the audio. Do I still need the farad cap?

I can upgrade amp, no big deal, as long as I do not have to change my alternator im happy.

Should I consider L7's? I care alot about sound quality, but I have the factory Bose speakers about 8 of them including tweeters that will be powered by by Hollywood Excursion amp. 600 watt. Those I am not palnning on replacing.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 100
How do you plan on hooking up the Bose speakers to the other amp? That can be quite tricky...keep in mind, most Bose factory installed speakers bear a 2 ohm load as well.

IMO, don't mess with the bose system. The built in amp will take care of those just fine. Just run the Subwoofers off a seperate amp and be done with it.

There's nothing wrong with the L7s, you started out saying you had or wanted them. I have never seen anyone even try to run them in a sealed box though. (not saying it can't or shouldn't be done)...especially if you listen to rap. You definitely don't have enough room for a bandpass box; a ported box should work out just fine.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 184
If you care alot about sq,you definatly dont want the L7s or any kicker sub for that matter.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 150
I'd recommend upgrading the wiring on your alternator (the big 3). It will help you get the most out of your alt without having to replace it.

Silver Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 103
I've heard L7s sound quite good as far as SQ goes. All depends on what's pushing them. Let's not get crazy though, they are not ID, DD, or Adire by any means...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10835
^^^^

L7s sound good.... thanks for the laugh

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10836
Upload

Silver Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 107
Obviously, we all haven't heard L7's setup precisely to Kicker's specs. There is a fine line with L7s. You either get it or you don't. That is why forums are helpful; not everyone's opinions are the same.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 574
lmao l7s having sound quality? you must be a kicker dealer? there iis no way bro, just like in the other forum where you hit 174 db and blew out the windshield.

Silver Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 110
Not a kicker dealer. Regardless, I only said they were better than some subs, not the best (by any means), but not the worst either. J (the original poster) is on a budget and for his budget, Kickers are the better of the speakers he had mentioned having interest in.

Please read the thread before jumping people. This is an informative forum, not a bragging or bashing forum. If your opinions differs, so be it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us