Amp Confusion

Bronze Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 28
K so now i got some clarity on the sub now the amp

Which one

Arc Audio KS500.1
JL Audio 500/1V2
Zapco DC Reference 500.1 (with symbilink of course)

Special Consideration
Audison SRx

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Post Number: 674
what is the vc configuration of the sub being used

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Well it can go either dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm but id probably get the dual 4ohm to run it in 2ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
the sub ill be using is the idmax

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
how much are those amps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
From what ive checked i can get them for 400-500$

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Have I actually stumped the Ecoustics Professionals?

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
no, i just asked a simple question

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
nono what i meant was nobody answered so figured i stumped everybody lol

Bronze Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 80
I have owned the Zapco and Audison amps at one point. If you are looking to be able to use the full extent of the Symbilink, I'd go that route. The Audison is an amazing amp as well. Either one of those two, you can't go wrong with.

I loved the software that came with the Symbilink. I had three of the DC amps hooked up together and was able to link them into my PC to set up XO's and such. Awesome software for tweaking out the system. You'll end up investing quite a bit of cash into the full extent of the Symbilink though.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 81
I almost forgot, the IDMAX is not a power hungry sub. I ran my Tru Technology T2.200 bridged (600w) to two of them and they pounded my brain. I think the amps you are looking at are in the proper power range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Ya i figured the power was perfect, as for the sumbilink the dc reference series comes with the cables, so the price included the wires. The only thing that bothers me about the audison is that its not its mid or high end which I know is already better than most of the stuff out there, where as the DC reference is one of the highest end from zapco. Do you think that the fact I have a sound processor already might affect anything for the sound processors in the zapco or is there a chance that i might get even better sound.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 88
The expense comes with controlling the Symbilink. You'll need either the DSP6-SL or the DRC-SL to control multiple amps and what not. It gets pretty technical, but that is why we love them!

You are using the PXA-H701, right?

If you have both, you can always bypass the processing at the amp and use just the H701. This will give you tons of flexibility again....

Man, choices, choices...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Thats why I ask you guys for your help, and appreciate every repsonse i get cause (im no noob, well that i know) but my setup is so flexible that it could be too flexible that it sounds bad.
I figured that I would just setup the amps, listen, make adjustements, and then eventually stop messing with it, so i can maybe live without the controller. I asked a question in the eq section but nobody answered, so ill ask here. Since you've played with sound processing Nick, all my setup has been balanced and time corrected with the h701, by increasing the time by the exact same amount on the amps for all the speakers will it increase the size of the soundstage or will it muck everything up.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 90
Flexibility is good IMO. The problems people have is when they have more equipment than they know what to do with or don't know how to use it properly. I recommend downloading the User's Manuals to any piece of equipment before you buy and really get an understanding of how it works, what it's capabilities are, what it's short comings are, and how it can be upgraded or used in various setups. We all get the upgrade itches and the chances of anyone getting a system and sticking with it forever is extremely rare. That's why flexibility is important, so your hardware can change as you do. It is more cost effective that way.

As far as the EQ goes, as you know the H701 has a 31 band active EQ and time correction. The environment in any vehicle is poor for acoustic reproduction compared to a studio or home theater environment. There are tons of curves, dips, hollow spots, and fabric that kills sound...not to mention you can't exactly drive and be, physically, directly in the middle of your soundstage. This is why time correction is helpful to the stage. You can "pin-point" your soundstage to nearly any position in the vehicle. There are tricks out there that say you can measure and get a setting for the delays, but realistically, they will only get you in the ballpark. You are still going to have to tweak them in.

So does it open the soundstage? yes and no. If properly done, you will find yourself more in the middle rather than off to the left side of the stage...keep in mind, it is a tedious process and is time consuming, but pays off well when you find that sweet spot. I say no, because don't expect to be able to create a soundstage that is as precise as a home theater environment, it is very slim that it will ever happen. Time delay will help with imaging as well.

I believe the H701 manual gives a pretty good instruction on how to get the ballpark of how to set the distances for each speaker. If it doesn't sound better at first, keep playing with it. It will usually get worse before it gets better...

Good luck and I will answer any questions I can...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Thank you very much NIck. I appreciate the time you spent to answer me and i hope that other people will read this so they might learn a few things. The advice about the manuals is great. I always do that before buying anything as to get as much information as possible. (I sell and repair computers for a living so im used to this) The H701 is a great piece of equipment, and from what youve explained here the only way i'll know about the time correction is by actually installing the amps and playing with the settings. I guess thats why you recommended DSP6-SL or the DRC-SL to control multiple amps because I know it is time consuming. The only problem i have is i might not have room for it in the front of my car. With the 3 way speakers, the deck and the h701 controller my dash is starting to look like the control deck of of a plane. Ill probably get a small netbook and use that with usb cable and see how thats goes. Thank you Nick.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 92
Looks like you will be needing the DRC-SL. The other is more of a processor as well, which you already have with the H701. Here's the link to the site.

http://zapco.com/prod/DC_Ref/DSP_DRC_Frame.htm

Also, there is one listed on Ebay for $350. Retail is around $450.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRC-SL-ZAPCO-IN-DASH-DIGITAL-REMOTE-CONTROL-PROCESSOR_W0QQit emZ120495514746QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e17a47a

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Poor Nick you dont have to type so much.

The one thing im wondering is ive noticed that the dc series has no bass control nob input, i think it can be only be used with the drc. Im going to have to write bob and ask him a couple more questions.

Thanks nick

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 95
The Bass Control is controlled by the DRC-SL as well. Bob will be an excellent resource as well, he obviously knows much more than I...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Thanks nick for all your help

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 97
No prob.

Silver Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 102
Check out this link on a DC1000.4 and a DC360.4, really good price for the two!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/152891-fs_zapco_dc10004_dc3604_4_channel_ amplifiers_mint/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Thanks Nick, Ya i saw that, but when it comes to expensive equipment like this i prefer to have the warranty, and on top of that who knows how the guys used it. Im not saying i cant trust the guy but when I cant hear or see the amp and i have no warranty that turns me off a bit. Plus i Dont realy need the 1000.4 since im only going with 1 idmax.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us