Answers to Dumb Peoples Questions or thoughts on car audio

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 552
I have been into car audio for quite sometime now, and i am sick of people saying " im gonna get 2 15" subs, 2 12" subs, and 2 10" subs, so i can hit the highs and lows", i know you arent suppose to mismatch subwoofers sizes in a setup, when a person asks why not what is the simple answer? i get asked almost weekly and dont have a simple way to put it. can you guys help me explain to some newbs :p , also why capacitors arent good, why you should use mdf instead of half inch plywood to build a box, also post some other dumb questions you guys hear often, should be a fun little thread.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1491
"I have been into car audio for quite sometime now"

yet you can't answer provide a "simple answer" for others' questions.

time to go out and learn for yourself eh?

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Giggidy, GA USA

Post Number: 2635
Well, in that case you should always say, " you asked my professional opinion and I gave you an answer. If you think you know more why did you ask me, do it yourself.

Have a nice day."

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15715
show them this :

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/605046.html ......

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 553
yeah phil i mean like 4 or 5 years, im only 17 and dont know everything about car audio, i just think i know a fair bit for my age. thats all i was trying to say.

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Fredericktown, Ohio United States

Post Number: 210
Hey man, at least you know not to do it, maybe not as much as why you shouldn't do it, but nevertheless it's more than a lot of people out there lol

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 219
i only been into car audio around 2 years so im jus stating the things ive read, mainly from here. correct me if im wrong tho...still learning

1.) everytime i read about ppl wanting to mismatch subs, everyone always says mismatching sub=cancellation.

2.) not to positive on y caps arent good, but id guess its cuz its jus another thing ur electrical has to recharge

3.)and i would say dont use 1/2 inch anything for box building. go with 3/4. otherwise idk y mdf is better. ill guess cuz its alot lighter in weight, n possibly somethin to do with sound. but i did read somewhere that if your gonna use plywood. birch ply is the way to go

Gold Member

Post Number: 1492
so you've been in car audio for 4-5 years and can't answer questions like why you shouldn't use different size subs or why we use MDF or the truth about capacitors?
too often do people accept truths that others tell them without asking why. so we end up with people who can repeat what others have told them but can not provide any evidence as to why it is true. these type of people make up 90% of this forum.

which is why i suggested its time to go learn for yourself. read a book on audio. youll learn more from that book than you will from this forum.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3349
x2 phil.

but Zac, you pretty much answered the questions.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7808
Lol, this thread reminds me of a shop down in Alexanderia, Louisiana...~90mi south of us. They hosted a USACi show this summer and had an "SQ" hatchback.

Well, usually when shops like that say they have an Sq vehicle, its just because they built it and its not loud...so they dub it SQ. This particular system had 3 Fusion subs...1-10, 1-12, 1-15...in the same chamber w/ 1 4" port...~3cuft total. Lol. They had is 'SLAMMIN' next to their booth at the show. Sounded like a rabid rhesus monkey on meth slamming its slong against a graffiti covered dumpster w/ bullet holes in it....and the graffiti was sub-par at best.

I'll look around and see if i can dig up some pics.

Usually when you talk to someone at a show w a 'bangin' system and they start talking about caps and mixed sub systems...oh, and dem subs gotta have the right air to breath....I usually show up at the next show they attend w/ a small setup just to kill em. Like, oh I don't know, 1 2510 in the avalanche doing musical 144++

Oh...and IIRC their SPL system was 2 SX15's on a ranger w/ a Sundown 2k. NickV's 2-2510s in the alero beat it by over 5dB. One of the guys actually apologized to nick because he was talking crap about how the 2-15 setup was the loudest system you will ever hear.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5090
Thats like running Sony explodes and Keeker L7's in the same box for the best SQ and SPL for sure.

btw, What were you talking about?

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1495
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bronze Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 55
Best way to learn is by trial and error... We can only give opinions on SQ. Construction of components, we can vouch for but ultimately what sounds good is up to the listener.

Great pic by the way.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 56
Also, is there any way we could create a FAQ section to help reduce some of the repetitive questions that get asked...?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1496
not to be picky but "Best way to learn is by trial and error" as it pertains to this thread is not the best way in my opinion. If audio had always been trial and error then we would still be in the dark ages with sound reproduction. Applying what we know(science/math-what you will find in a book) will allow us to develope something of much better quality than would trial and error.
As far as sound quality(which wasn't a subject in this thread) you are correct. sound quality is in the ear* of the beholder? ha...

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 60
Your right, Phil. My brain was running ahead of my fingers typing. I was referring ONLY to SQ. Understanding the basics is key to everything whether it be car audio or anything technical.

I guess I should proof read before posting...ha ha.

Thanks for clarifying the point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1497
you're* ok now im kidding

looking at your profile you must be on another forum like ht forums or audio asylum maybe? its not everyday we see someone who knows about totem acoustic or has mcintosh amps for that matter.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 4259
meh. not much you can tell someone who wont listen. :/ i love hearing about peoples super loud systems lol. and they are all louder then me :-(

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 62
Phil,

I have really moved on from car audio. The past 5-7 years I have been geared more towards Home Audio. I used McIntosh in the house, but am a die hard Tru Technology fan in the car. I don't believe I have ever owned better amps than Tru. SQ is amazing and the are future proof, you can actually swap out the DAC sections and get them upgraded. Also, John Yi, is a great guy to work with. He runs the company now that John Fairchild is no longer with us (formerly partners). He takes phone calls directly and is a wealth of great information. To anyone who has never tried Tru, I highly recommend them!

http://trutechnology.com/

I have had the same car system for about 5 years now. Don't see me changing it anytime soon.

I actually haven't been on the forums much in the past five years. Last I was on, Glass Wolf was one of the leading posters...that guy is also a plethera of information. He inspired, along with John Yi, much of my current setup in the car.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 178
Quote: and they are all louder than me

hunter, for some reason i doubt that. mainly the fact that you did what, like 162.XX?

idk why people talk sh!t. it serves no purpose and makes them look like a moron when you beat them

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1865
lol this makes me think of my friend who wont take my advice for the life of me.

He built a box out of 1/4" ply wood for a L7. Didnt measure any dimensions and simply cut 3" hole in the box for a "port". It was probably 3 cubes tuned to like 100 hz lol. and flexible as hell

Hes asked me why it sounds like sh1t. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Before this he was running 2 12" cvr's in a common chamber ported box (which i built) one was d2 the other d4. Rather than exchanging one of the sub at best buy (where he bought them) he bought the L7 to try and remedy his problem.

Now he has all 3 woofers and no bump in his car.

He claimed that he liked the way the cvr's sounded too LOL. It sounded absolutely TERRIBLE but i didnt hear the L7 so im sure that was worse lol. They were probably wired out of phase too.

Some people are just that, STUPID and there is nothing you can do to change them.

My friend has seen and heard several of my systems in my car and they were all great sounding yet he refuses to take my advice about car audio as do lots of my friends.

Not sure why they dont want to trust me, every system ive ever had has been the loudest and best sounding compared to anybody else in my town by a long shot as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us