OT: Getting sound to laptop

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 139
A friend of mine is planning on recording his own music to a laptop. What is the device he would use to plug the jacks from the guitar and mic into? He is looking for something pretty simple and easy to use. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4247
i'm thinking he would need an auxiliary to usb cord...if they make them....

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1490
ummm a mixer. (if you want any kind of decent sound at all) behringer makes some usb analog models. xenyx line i believe

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5446
He needs an Audio Interface. He has to have a pretty fast CPU and RAM or he is going to run into latency (delay between when you play something and when you actually hear it) issues. This would be the cheapest route to record one track at a time with any quality, it comes with Ableton Lite recording software so he will be ready to record once he learns it:

link

If he wants to record drums he is going to need a mixer to plug into that M Audio. I wouldn't recommend anything Behringer, they make noise and are cheaply made, which is why they are always the cheapest in every category they make something in. I would get this Yamaha:

link

The next step up would be the Presonus Firebox, which almost everyone uses. Then he would need a firewire card which are around 10 bucks at newegg.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5447
Oh shit I just realized he said the guy has a laptop. In that case disregard the first suggestion and get him the PreSonus Firebox that I mentioned at the end with a laptop FireWire card. Firebox comes bundled with everything you need: studio software, and tons of extra samples of instruments and drums etc. It also has effects packs and zero latency.

link

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 140
He plans on recording it onto his laptop. It's a duo core intel system with 4 gigs of ram and 2.2 ghz processor. He called radio shack and they have something they said would work for $100 or so. He plans on looking into it tomorrow. Will that yamaha plug into a usb port? I guess he is looking for something to plug his guitar and mic plugs into that can then plug into a usb port. He is going to be traveling the country soon and plans on doing this while on the road.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 141
Thanks a lot for the advice on the Firebox. He went ahead and ordered it. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'm guessing it doesn't come with a firewire?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5451
Very good call. No, he is going to need a FireWire card for his laptop. Do NOT buy a cheaper model, they have all kinds of issues and it isn't worth the hassle. This one has been proven to work well in studio applications:

link

He will also need a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable like below. If you use a 4 pin to 6 pin cable the unit won't be powered by the laptop and he will have to use the power supply that comes with the FireBox.

link

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 142
I'm thinking the laptop already has a firewire hookup in it. I'm not sure exactly what the hookup looks like, I've never used a firewire before. If the laptop does already have one, is it going to need to be upgraded? How hard is it to put a card into a laptop? I've installed cards into desktops before, that's simple, I've never messed with something as compact as a laptop before though.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 144
So being the noob to laptops as I am I finally registered what you meant by a card for his laptop. It pops into this port on the side here. Nice :-) He is looking for good, not the best, but he doesn't mind spending the money, he just wants it done right. How does this port open up? There appears to be a cover over it. Also, what are some other good brands? Btw, you've been a ton of help. Thanks Brad.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 145
Is startech a good name? This card looks nice. http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/catalog_type.asp?ProductCode=52907&ai=1550
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us