Very Confused. Help Please

Bronze Member
Username: Pushinsubs

Post Number: 20
Okay, i know i posted already, but nobody seemed to answer my questions, maybe based on the title of the thread.

So i am very serious about getting a system for my car. (2002 Nissan Xterra)

I have 2 different options on subs to get, but im not sure which ones are the best.

Subwoofers:

2 AudioQue SDC2.5 12"
OR
2 Fi SSD 12"

Amp:

Kicker zx1500

Questions:

-Which of those 2 subs are better for SQL?
-The SSD's come in 1 or 2 ohm, which ones should i get? What's the difference?
-If i get 1 ohm, the Kicker amp is only stable down to 2 ohm, so whats the next best amp choice that is stable down to 1 ohm?
-Is that amp a good choice for these subs?
-For the SSD's Fi recommends a 1.8-2.5 cuft at 33 hz. Is that a good box? If i get more HZ what does it do, what about less HZ?
-Do you recommend any other subs that beat the Fi SSD's or the AQ SDC2.5's in SQL. I want them loud, but good sound quality.

Thanks for all the help anybody can give me! Sorry i ask so many questions.

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 269
well, i might as well answer here too. if the kicker isnt stable at 1 ohm, you would have to get the subs at 2 ohm. the difference is just different ways to wire the subs to eachother. an alternative amp(look into RD amps) or an AQ1200D, sundown, etc... i would find a 1ohm stable amp, which isnt hard to do.. for either sub, build a box around 4cubes and tune to near what they recommend.. depends on your music preference and what frequencies of base you prefer.. both of those subs get loud, while still retaining plent of sq. but i would recommend the FI over the sdc..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Ok Fi it is!

But i still have a question on the whole 1 ohm 2 ohm thing.

So basically 2 ohm sub needs to match a 2 ohm amp and same with 1 ohm.

But what is the difference between 2 ohm and 1 ohm? deeper bass, more watts produced, louder???

oh! and also the AQ 1200 works at 1,2, or 4 ohm. How do you set which ohm it runs at, is there a knob or something?

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
no, the way you distinguish what impedance the sub is at is the way you wire it up.. you can find a wiring diagram anywhere on the internet.. and youll have to get one of the ecoustics gurus on here to define it for you, haha its all very confusing.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 135
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Haha this is way confusing, i already have a guy lined up to create a box and install everything for me. I just need to order everything.

Im going to get 2 Fi SSD 12" and the AQ 1200 amp.
My only question is

-What is the difference between between 1 and 2 ohm????

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5187
no difference in sound or anything. the only difference is the wiring options that you can wire your subs to the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
oh.... then why is everybody always like
"yeah..... i had to wire them down to 1 ohm to get that extra bass"

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
your amp puts out different wattage for each impedance, right?...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yup

4 ohm = 510 x1
2 ohm = 870 x1
1 ohm = 1200 x1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28

2 Fi SSD 12" at dual 1 ohm
and
AudioQue 1200D that is stable down to 1 ohm

Ok my last 2 questions:

-This setup will work right?
1 ohm subs to 1 ohm amp, i am ordering soon and i dont want to screw up the order, and find out that wont work.

-If i buy the subs at dual 1 ohm and the amp is stable down to 1 ohm, how do i make the amp 1 ohm, since it works for 4,2, and 1 ohm.

Links:

AMP:
http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQamps.htm

Subs: 12"
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154b147877301a4/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
jeez, this is killing me. So now i hear that if i buy the subwoofer at 1 ohm it can only be wired to .5 ohm or 2 ohm so if i get the aq 1200d amp i will only use 870 watts at 2 ohm.

How do i get 1 ohm if the subs only come in dual 1 or 2 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Option 1 (series/parallel) = 1 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 1 ohm mono
Upload

So this is saying if i buy the 2 Fi SSD's at dual 1 ohm each i can run the subs at 1 ohm as long as my amp is stable down to 1 ohm (which it is)??????

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15686
wait a minute so u gonna use 2 SSD on a single 1200d AQ amp ?

each SSD is rated 800wrms so 800x2 = 1600

so ur gong to be under powering a pair of those subs so either u get a more powerful amp or lower wattage subs to work with that AQ amp like a pair of 1242 alpine type R ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
So should i get the AQ2200 that is stable down to 1 ohm at 2200 watts??

Gold Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 1156
you could or you can go with a sundown 1200d amp which is rated at 1200 watts but will put out 1500 watts very good amp and will probably do a lot better then the aq

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Alright i will look into that amp.

Question

The Fi SSD's come in Dual 1 and Dual 2 OHM's

how can i make them 1 ohm when wiring?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15691
if ur going with the AQ2200D u might as well upgrade ur choice to 2 dual 4ohms rated 1000wrms subs like Fi BL or Q ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
buy the dual 1 ohms. and look at a 1 ohm wiring chart and hook the speakers up like it says.. very simple. and there you have your 1 ohm..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Is this the correct wiring chart for 1 ohm subs and amp?

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I am now thinking about going with 2 ohm subs to keep sq and sl about the same.

Can anybody recommend a good amp that runs at 2 ohm with 1000 to 1500 watts.

Im looking for a good price like the Aq 1200D, but that one only gives out 870 watts at 2 ohm's. The 2 subs together run at 1600 watts RMS, and with a 870 watt amp at 2 ohm's i will be under powering the hell out of them, so i need an amp that does anywhere from 1000 to 1500 watts at 2 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 386
Affordable ED 9.1= ~900-1000wrms @ 2 ohms but you may still be a little on the low side. keep in mind, once you go over ~1200wrms your going 2 want an electrical upgrade including alternator and possibly 2nd battery.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2858
Wow this thread is messed up lol...........

LETS START FRESH!!!!!!!!!!

Read this page.http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

If you are still confused on anything search the rest of the site linked above (it will likley have the answer you are looking for).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Wow thanks SomeDonnieDude, that website helped out SO MUCH!!!!! but i still do not know what to do with my sistem. Here are my choices.

2 Fi SSD 12" at 1 ohm
AudioQue 1200D 1200 watts at 1 ohm

OR

2 Fi SSD 12" at 2 ohm
I NEED HELP WITH WHAT AMP I SHOULD GET

i am trying to get both SQ and SL (SQL), so i think 2 ohm is better for me, i just cant find an amp that is as good of a price as the audioque and has about 1200-1500 watts at 2 ohm.

Any suggestions on which setup i should get, and what amp is best for 2 ohm's?

---------------------
I talked to somebody from Sound Station and Security in Raleigh, NC about the Fi SSD's and this is what he told me....
"I don't mean anything bad about it but that product is not like top of the line."
that is the quote, straight from the email i got. They do not sell Fi Audio There so, maybe hes is just trying to get me to buy stuff they carry so he makes commission. idk though

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2031
Pick your amp FIRST. You know you're getting the SSD, so look for something that will put out at least 1600 watts.

THEN pick the coil configuration. If the amp does power at 2 ohms, get 2 dual 2 ohms subs. If it does power at 1 ohm do dual 1 ohms subs.

The coil configuration will have NO impact on your daily listening. How it is wired will have NO effect on the way it sounds if it is getting the same amount of power. A sub getting 1000 watts at 1 ohm sounds just like it will getting 1000 watts at 2 ohms.

If you get the AQ 2200 I would buy Fi Qs to take advantage of the power.

I've had shops tell me that Fi was not that good as well, but have no experience to go off of. I'd ask how many Fi products they've installed.

The SSD is not Fi's "top of the line" - the BTL is. The SSD is a very good sub in it's price and power range. I would be wary of a shop trying to sell their products instead of helping - though why would they not want to make money?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Alright thanks for the info, this has all really helped. I think i am going to get:

2 Fi SSD 12" at 2 ohm 1600 watts together
Kicker zx1500 1500 watts at 2 ohm

Sound good?

Also, i talked to people who install subs, amp, and headunits. They want $90 an hour and they say it will be about 3 hours which is $270 PLUS the cost of wires and building the box..... is that crazy or what?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2032
A lot of money for basic install. The setup sounds good though.

I would ask if that includes o-scope (oscilloscope) and termlab setup. If not I'd read up and do it yourself. You could buy a 0 guage wiring kit and build a good box wrapped in a nice material for the price they're charging. Then do it yourself if you're comfortable.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12897
90 an hour is way too high....search for a better deal

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Honestly, there is nobody around Raleigh, NC who installs subs besides Sound Station and Security.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
dang.. if you lived a little closer i would do it for way cheaper than that..

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1060
installing stuff is easy! just ready and understand what your doing first.

and it is usually cheaper to get an amp at 1ohm.

look for a used RD1750.v2 ik you could have pick one up for $275 for black Friday.

back in the day the v1 1750 were $475 new

go to this link and play around with the way you can get subs and understand ohm how to wire them up http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

and like i said it is easy to wire up an amp and subs, just making the is something i don't know how to do lol, you about 6 hrs from Atlanta, Georgia

they have some good shops there and box builders like Mike

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
yeah i understand wiring diagrams and everything like that, cause of a link i got above.

Yeah, it sucks that amps are cheaper at 1 ohm, but i want 2 ohm so i can get even SQL. i think i will make a box, but pay for somebody to install everything.

The only thing i really dont understand is how to tune a box to a certain Hz. The subs i am buying say 1.8-2.5 cuft at 33 hz, dont get how to accomplish the 33 hz

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1061
well id ratter have an amp that goes down to 1ohm, IMHO there's no diff in SQ in 1ohm to 2ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
seriously? there is no difference in SQ? great! that saves me $200 haha.

Now im gonna get

2 Fi SSD's 12" at 1 ohm
and
AudioQue 1200D at 1 ohm =]

SO much cheaper than the Kicker zx1500

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1062
yeah there was a damn shop here theat wanted $800 for that amp and i said f u and got me an rd 3250 for that price, and the bad thing about the kicker zx amp is they have a preset SSF and on the AQ you can set it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
sorry if i seem like an idiot, what do you mean by SSF?

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1063
sub sonic filter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
ohhhhh gocha. well now i just gotta wait til i figure out my plans of installing and building a box, then i can make my purchase.

2 Fi SSD 12" at 1 ohm
AudioQue 1200D at 1 ohm 1200 watts

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1064
should be a good setup
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us