Anybody have thoughts on this kenwood subwoofer?

Username: Jasonli18t

Post Number: 7
i was in the market for a new subwoofer after my JL 10Wv1 blew. it was loaded in a slim enclosure in the back of my forester. i dont listen to much rap, mainly hard/alternative/indie rock though once in a while ill throw on some eminem. i just want a replacement that will round out the bottom end with some decent thump and sound quality. my system consists of the following:

orion 6.5 inch components up front
some old pioneer coaxials in the rear

alpine 4 channel V12 amp, 75 x 4 RMS @ 4 ohms

channels 1 and 2 of the amp power my front components. the rear coaxials run off the headunit, while channels 3 and 4 of the amp are bridged for my subwoofer, providing 160 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms. with all that said...

[url]http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_14951_Kenwood_Excelon_VCKFC-XW100 2D.aspx[/url]

kenwood excelon KFC-XW1002DVC

that is the subwoofer i purchased. I was able to get it for $40 though, not $100+

my questions:

will 160 true watts be enough power to properly drive this subwoofer in my application?

should i wire this DVC sub for 4 ohm operation? or would there be any benefit in bi-amping it, giving each voice coil its own channel (and thus 75 watts rms per coil).

and if you have any other thoughts or experience with this subwoofer feel free to share. appreciate it!

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 712
that sub will be very under powered but i think u even giving it that much it will not fill out the bottom end like u want could check out this one might do better but idk what ur budget is:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org. mozilla:en-US:official&hs=jE1&q=rockford+fosgate+p210s4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=828990 3863506723705&ei=oKsUS-27CYnctgO_sdH5Aw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result &resnum=5&ved=0CB4Q8wIwBA#ps-sellers

Post Number: 8
very underpowered? i know it can take a good deal more than what im giving it but if it is rated at 250 RMS and i give it 160 real watts im not sure if that would make it very underpowered. the JL that blew was rated differently (50-300 watts RMS) and it filled out the bottom end very well, i was very happy with it. it was also a stout driver with a stiff cone so i assumed this woofer would be getting sufficient power as well.

in any event..my budget is very low...50 dollars or less. i had a couple 10 inch subs laying around my house that i thought id be able to use but one was blown and the other just sounded like crap so im forced to spend a little cash on a new sub.

Silver Member
Username: Mrsq

California

Post Number: 232
i think Kenwood subs are good

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 404
then youuuuuuuu should not think

Post Number: 9
can we elaborate on that a bit please? also i figured their excelon line had to be better than their regular line.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2169
the exclon line of cd players are amazing for the money i think
im just not a fan of the subs they have... or really any subs that kenwood has.

really i would save ur money and get a mono amp and get some power to a real sub

with 50 bucks idk man. i think those american bass Qs are pretty cheap. or the cruch ground pounder. i would prolly look for something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/CRUNCH-GRP12D4-500W-12-Car-Audio-Subwoofer-Power-Sub_W0QQite mZ350285071800QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item518e9e05b8

my grandpa has 4 of them. i would get that over kenwood

or again! u could just save up some money
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us