Help deciphering a bass blocker...

Username: Firebirdstud

Post Number: 1
Hi all!
I have two bass blockers, and all they say on them are as follows:

PAC 199 MFD 10% 100 WV

What does that mean? I have two 5 1/4 cerwin vegas in the front of my car, and one seems to be blown. Will this be enough bass blocking to eliminate the crappy sound?

I have two subs in the back, so I dont care if I lose the bass up front.

I also have 6x9s in the rear, should I have bass blockers on those? what size??

Thanks so much!!!

Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 1
well i got kinda the same theory about bass blockers i have four 6 1/2 kenwood speakers rms power of 40 watts and peak power of 240 watts and two eclipse 4x10 rms power of 35 watts on a two channel rockford fostgate punch p3004 now my amp has crossover settings where i can take the bass out then why should i use bass blockers whats the purpose of buying baffles and bass blockers if your amp can do those jobs for you so i would say you should read and learn about crossovers and all those hz things could save you money and give you the knowledge to get the most power out of your amp and to do this safely dont let consumers just sell you things read and learn about it and when you know watch how consumers always want you to do one thing buy products

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 435
cody- "bass blocking" is what a high pass filter (HPF) performs. you dont want your front speakers to play notes lower than 80hertz i would imagine. rear speakers i would say maybe no lower than 100?

picklemeat- your right to an extent. an amp cannot serve as a xover always

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5253
Haha, this post keeps coming alive randomly.

For the OP, using a 'bass blocker' to cover up a blown speaker isn't going to work...at least not well.

And picklemeat is right, there's no need to get separate 'bass blockers' if you have a crossover built into your head unit or amp. The built-in crossovers actually do a good job at cutting off which frequencies will reach the speakers.

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 54
yeah man im bout to get my truck out the sho so i just put in the kineti k battery added 4 6x9's mb quart and polk got some better wire bigger on all amps welding wire to all my amps are fused and protected man i cant wait til she come home to fine tune them 6x9's and do the big three and buy my high power 220 alt man she gona sound sweet yo but bass blockers can help with front speakers below 6x9 in size nd if you got subs and wana use 6x9s for more vocal punch tune your speakers block the bass and let the subs do that for you

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 55
you dont have to spend lots of money to get good sound its all on how much you read and learn bout the acoustis of your car wallet and ear i have a complete sound system in a 98 suburban four 6.5, two 4x10s, 2 bullet horn tweeters, four 6x9s, two 12" subs alpine hud, kenwood amp, rockford fostgate amp, jensen amp, amp kit wires speaker wires top quaility power blocks and fuse holders, 1800 kinetik battery under body lightn kit, didnt spend $1200 yet but still got to get 220 alt do big 3 im almost done people say my sound sounds dam good to oh wait til i do the big 3 man music is like symphony

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13814
PAC 199 MFD 10% 100 WV

PAC makes the filter
199MFD is 100 microfarad (the capacitor rating)
it's a simple non-polarized capacitor, which makes a first order high-pass filter. 6dB/octave slope (Q)
10% tolerance (cheap, low grade capacitor)
100 watts (@ 12 VDC) rated

That's 200Hz HPF @ 4 ohms (XO frequency varies by load)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5282
^ In other words, it's a piece of crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums