What sub should I buy?

Username: Mattwedem

Post Number: 1
My current setup is two 10" JLW0 with a 500/1 amp and I am looking to upgrade. I want to buy a 12" JL W7 or 2 12" JL W6. So my question is what would be a better system and would my 500/1 be enough to power them? I am also open to other subwoofer suggestions.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 686
I would get 2 w3v3 or w6's on either a 1000/1 or 2 500/1's

two 12w3v3's will be a big step up from 2 10w0's and if you double the power you will be very happy.

Give a budget and i'm sure everyone will help with suggestions.

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Fredericktown, Ohio United States

Post Number: 202
and are you stuck on JL?

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Fredericktown, Ohio United States

Post Number: 203
nvm i didn't finish reading the rest of your post.

Username: Creator1

Canada

Post Number: 5
Hey. Luv the JL's :-) I use em too.
U could chek out our MACH5AUDIO subs! The IXL-10"s cast baskets are 1000watt rms tho- u'd need MUCH more amp! IF u have the room, the MJ-18's are awsome! And under $200 bucks! I use 12 of them in my Home Theatre set up for Midbass. YES- midbass, ported to 30 hz! lol. The 4x IXL-18"s handle the 19hz Sub bass notes.
We use 'em in Car Audio- ooohh, Got Bass! And they are only 700 watts rms, so 500 will tickle them ok :-) The more power the better tho :-) Check out MACH5AUDIO on line and take a peek at our line of subs.
MY buddy A-TEAM also has DC subs- he holds the WORLD record in his class with them. Pricier than ours, but IF u got the power- ooohhh! Hes' putting 44,000 watts of Stetsom thru 8x 15"s.

Canada

Post Number: 6
K- sales pitch aside- its really going to depend on what type of Enclosure ur intending to use/build, that will dictate the power requirements and size of speaker u'll need. U cant buy a SUB- then build the incorrect box for it and then underpower/overpower it and expect stellar results.
What kind of vehicle? How much space have u allocated to the sub enclosure? I can build an 8" that plays LOUDER than a 12. OR, a 10 that plays LOWER than a 15 (in the wrong box). SO- u can go Ported and get free DB? OR if ur not into articulate bass and just want a 'one-note wonder', then go band pass with a hi S-value.

All starts with how much real estate u want to use up, THEN, for a particular size/type of enclousre and tuning capabilities, u'll then choose the SPEAKER that fits that certain application, (THEN build the enclosure to the sub specs). THEN- that speaker and its specs will determine the power u'll need to put to it. So- its really impossible to say what the best speaker is and how much power u'll need- UNTIL u dedice on a few parameters. Then, u choose the best components that will work in those particular conditions. U can burn a huge hi-power sub with low dirty power. U can choke a large sub and have less low end than a properly built, smaller diameter sub in the RIGHT box. Everything is a trade off.

Start with how big an area u'd like to utilize for the sub enclosure and get back to us :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12859
your better off with one jl 12w6 on the 500 watts if you go that route........I heard one 12w6 on a jl 250 and you could tell it wasnt enough

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 110
If you have a 12 w7 or 2 12 w6's on 1000 rms either set up is going to slam. It's all a matter of your preference. The box for the single w7 or a box for 2 12's is going to be about the same size. It's a matter of if you want 2 12's or just one. I'm the owner of a 12 w7 myself that is in a 2 ft^3 box and im plenty happy with it on a 500/1. I have a small hatch back car though so I'm pretty much right on top of my woofer. Depending on the car may differ your own results.

Post Number: 2
I drive a Oldsmobile ninety eight and the trunk is huge so I have no space issues. I could care less if it took up the whole thing. My price range is about what a W7 would cost and a 1000/1. I am considering buying them used because of the money I can save. Also how big of an upgrade would this be from my W0? I appreciate everyone's help with this, it would have been difficult by myself.

Canada

Post Number: 10
Hmmm? Guess we'll just keep building the Loudest vehicles in the world. And some will just stuff what they can into a box without any regard for design. Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1480
dear mr. BIG DAVE
if you truely have 12 18" subs tuned to 30hz for midrange in a home theater setup then you obviously dont have much regard for design either. Please go advertise for mach 5 elsewhere.

As far as this thread goes a w7 would be a huge step up from a w0. But i would still choose other subs for the price range of the w7.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15649
imo if i was going to replace 2 10s with another JL sub id pick 1 with the most cone area

13W3v3-4

seems it wud be perfect on that 500wrms power

i doubt u wud get much difference though unless u go with a more powerful amp ...

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4141
if you got to go JL... W6 >w7

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 112
When you say you want to upgrade what exactly are you wanting? I ask because with a JL budget you have a few good choices.

Post Number: 3
Well, I want loud bass I listen to a lot of rap but I listen to some rock. I just want something loud but at the same time I care about sound quality.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12870
if you want loud with sq go with the w7

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 114
I agree with Sean above. If you want a large step up from what you have now you could get a couple Fi BLs and an AQ2200D. Tune your box around 35 Hz so it'll be loud for rock but still get plenty low for rap and help you get the most out of your woofers. If you don't care about size and/or weight I'd say get 2 15's. JL is a good choice, but for the same price you could have other good options. It is going to depend on what you're looking for overall.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1890
or two sundown SA-12's and a S.A.E 1200D would pare nicely :D

sound just as good if not better, for alot cheaper!

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 189
With the audioque 2200d he'd have to upgrade his alt batt and big 3 and with him having W0s and asking if it'd be a "step up" tells me he doesn't have those upgrades.

I agree with Shawn, if you have a JL budget you can get some pretty good stuff from other companys, better then what jl has to offer.

W3's go pretty hard, along with the w7 & w6.

With you also listening to rock I'd go with 1 w7 and a much bigger amp around a couple hundred more rms of it's rating and go with a custom made box, not one from your local audio store or best buy.

and don't go to walmart for your amp kit. lmao
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us